Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:13:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lamb

Started by Head Gardener, July 29, 2021, 01:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Dusty Substance

Looks good.

The shot of the woman walking hand-in-hand with the Lamb on back two legs wearing a hoodie gave me proper chills. Tapped into the same fear I got from 1991 mini-series Chimera.

mjwilson

Right this is out now, more or less, thought I would resurrect the thread.
(I know there's a little warning to tell me not to, but FUCK YOU YELLOW WARNING BOX)

I thought this was going to be more full-on-horror than it ended up being, it was more of a quiet piece than I expected.

I spent a bunch of time during the film wondering
Spoiler alert
whether there was a real half-human half-sheep baby walking around or whether I was supposed to be reading it more metaphorically. Does the brother-in-law actually see the hybrid or is he seeing a broken couple bringing up a lamb as if its a baby? Noomi visits a grave with Ada's name on it - is that supposed to be a (human) child which she had lost perhaps? But by the end it seems like there is a just a big old sheep-fucker walking around the hills I guess.
[close]

dissolute ocelot

On Mubi now. I enjoyed it but don't really know wtf was happening. I assume it was literal and the couple just really wanted a child.

Spoiler alert
The special effects seemed slightly dodgy although I don't know if anyone could make it real. The big sheep thing at the end made me laugh a bit. The grave puzzled me too though.
[close]

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 06, 2022, 11:30:25 PMOn Mubi now. I enjoyed it but don't really know wtf was happening. I assume it was literal and the couple just really wanted a child.

Spoiler alert
The special effects seemed slightly dodgy although I don't know if anyone could make it real. The big sheep thing at the end made me laugh a bit. The grave puzzled me too though.
[close]

I believe it was literal, though it could also have been an allegory for something else.

Big spoilers, don't read!
Spoiler alert
The grave was for the previous Ada, which I expect was an actual human child.
The big sheep was quite a let down.
[close]

Replies From View

It had better be an important lamb or that is going to be one hell of a wasted film.

Imagine if she got it to the finishing line and it wasn't the speaking one.  BROUGHT THE WRONG FUCKING LAMB WITH ME LOVE

WHAT?!

WIND YOUR WINDOW DOWN

*he does*  WHAT

I SAID I ONLY WENT AND BROUGHT THE WRONG FUCKING LAMB WITH ME ALL THIS WAY

AH SHIT.  WELL THEY ARE SO ALIKE AREN'T THEY

THAT'S THE THING I WAS THINKING OF THIS MORNING BEFORE I LEFT THE HOUSE, BUT I FORGOT TO WRITE IT DOWN

NOW WHAT

JUST GO BACK HOME I GUESS.  BIT OF A WASTED DAY

AND A WASTED FILM

YEAH

Sebastian Cobb

I liked this nonsense.

Keebleman

To me this felt as if someone had a "like, really cool idea, dude!" but had no idea how to develop it into anything meaningful.  It was very atmospheric, at least at the start, but all that mist could serve as a metaphor for how nobody - viewers, filmmakers - knew what was going on.  All the domestic drama with the brother was predictable and underdeveloped, and entirely unnecessary besides.

I suppose it could be read as a parable about parenting, and how you love your child no matter what.  But do
Spoiler alert
adoptive parents have a deep seated urge to murder the biological ones?
[close]

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Keebleman on April 15, 2022, 12:44:50 AMI suppose it could be read as a parable about parenting, and how you love your child no matter what. 

*spoilers*
This was okay, not great. I saw it as a parable about humans and how they lay claim to everything on the planet as if it's their automatic right to do so. They took the lamb thing as their own and shot the mother as if it was their right to, but nature had other ideas.

Mister Six

Quote from: Keebleman on April 15, 2022, 12:44:50 AMTo me this felt as if someone had a "like, really cool idea, dude!" but had no idea how to develop it into anything meaningful. 

Exactly my reaction, bolstered by this interview with the director:

Quote"It can stand for so many things," Jóhannsson tells Inverse about his movie's ending. "Even I've changed my mind after watching the film so often. But it can stand for nature; it can stand for so many things. I feel everybody has to take their own understanding of it."

So basically it doesn't mean anything at all. Which would be fine if it were a rip-roaring adventure, but after almost two hours of not very much occurring (albeit with some lovely performances and a few nice shots), I really needed some kind of coherent thought or message communicated at the end, to make the experience worth my time.

Midas

Watched this.

Spoiler alert
I enjoyed the oddly compelling opening, and the few moments where it seemed to be trying to explore the grieving process, but if I'd known in advance this was all building up to a rifle-wielding ram walking around with his arse hanging out I probably wouldn't have bothered. Felt shortchanged.
[close]

Replies From View

Spoiler alert
rifle-wielding rams walking around with their arses hanging out
[close]

are ten a penny around here