Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:15:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dr Strange 2 [split topic]

Started by mothman, December 22, 2021, 05:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

The Dr. Strange 2 teaser has been released.

https://youtu.be/Rt_UqUm38BI

Spoiler alert
Looks like it could lean quite heavily into events or themes introduced in WandaVision and What If? as well as going back to Mordo and his anti-sorcerer thing. So this could answer the question posed upthread, whether the films can succeed if they require a certain degree of familiarity with the TV oeuvre...
[close]

Lord Mandrake

Spoiler alert
They attached it to No way home because regardless of Loki and Wandavision - it's a culmination of all the multiversal fukery including NWH
which everybody is seeing so those shows aren't necessary viewing,it just enhances the experience. From what I understand, when some of the cameos in this get 'leaked' it will probably do similar numbers to NWH.
[close]

madhair60

mothman

BARRY!!!

Don't DO that to me!! My post vanished from the Marvel thread and I thought I was going mad and hadn't actually posted it...

13 schoolyards

So if this is going to be the film that ties-up all the multiverse stuff, then is it going to end (or have a mid-credits sequence) with the arrival (even just in silhouette or whatever) of the Fantastic Four & the X-Men? That's the whole point of the multiverse here, right - to bring them into the Marvel fold?

samadriel

I dunno if Dr Strange is going to wrap up the multiverse stuff, or actually act as the reverse, an introduction to the broader multiverse (broader than what we see in Spidey, at least) which will continue to be explored in the future FF and X-Men movies, the What If series, and so on.

Jerzy Bondov

Sam Raimi doing a film where someone has an evil doppelganger. Say no more.

13 schoolyards

There has to be a point though where they step back from the multiverse and say "we've done that now" - they can't keep bringing it up in every single movie.

That said, isn't the next Ant-Man movie also going to be about the multiverse? Shit, maybe they will just keep bringing out alternate versions of the same old characters forever and ever. "What if Iron Man was played by a cat?"

mothman

There is still presumably going to be a second season of Loki, and a certain villain introduced in that show will be the big bad in the next Ant-man film, both of which will post-date this one. I suspect the multiverse is here to stay - it'll allow them to tell multiple stories without shackling them to a single urNarrative (which films will need to take steps to adhere to and avoid contradicting established lore, and which audiences would need to be up to speed with to really appreciate the films and shows) and eventually to introduce new "rebooted" versions of already-seen-in-the-MCU characters.

Glebe

Not bowled over by that. Haven't seen the new Spidey yet and prolly won't for awhile due to covid.

madhair60

greenman

Quote from: mothman on December 23, 2021, 10:27:49 AMThere is still presumably going to be a second season of Loki, and a certain villain introduced in that show will be the big bad in the next Ant-man film, both of which will post-date this one. I suspect the multiverse is here to stay - it'll allow them to tell multiple stories without shackling them to a single urNarrative (which films will need to take steps to adhere to and avoid contradicting established lore, and which audiences would need to be up to speed with to really appreciate the films and shows) and eventually to introduce new "rebooted" versions of already-seen-in-the-MCU characters.

Yeah I suspect the Loki introduced Big Bad will take up the Thanos role but perhaps a bit more defuse cross different characters films this time although I spose really Thanos only became a big character in the last couple of Avengers films. It is a plot that as you say gives them the ability to do pretty much anything they want in terms of reintroducing dead characters or rebooting different various of characters.

I'm guessing that Strange might now be promoted to Ironman/Captain America status in the MCU as well with his films being more of the central plot, maybe with Raimi taking up the role of the Russo bros?

touchingcloth

Are the Fantastic Four some kind of multiverse travellers, then? I didn't see the film but I know that Chris Evans was in it. Is that the multiverse? Captain America is also a man on fire? And Denzel Washington is playing him as well?

Mister Six

Quote from: greenman on December 23, 2021, 12:38:32 PMYeah I suspect the Loki introduced Big Bad will take up the Thanos role but perhaps a bit more defuse cross different characters films this time

Shame the bloke playing him is dreadful, then. Hopefully he'll take a different tack, since

Spoiler alert
he'll be playing a different version of the character, who hasn't been lingering at the end of time by himself for millennia
[close]

but he was the worst thing about The Harder They Fall, too, so that doesn't augur well.

But yeah, given the Multiverse's storytelling potential - and more importantly, its franchise-maintenance potential when it comes to reviving, recasting or rebooting characters, films and shows - I think it'll be around for a while. They're at risk of overdoing it, though, if it's in every film (although it looks like there'll be four movies between Dr Strange 2 and Ant-Man 3).

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 23, 2021, 12:49:44 PMAre the Fantastic Four some kind of multiverse travellers, then?

They're often depicted in the comics as cosmic explorers rather than the usual reactive, Earthbound superheroes (the movies were too low budget to pull that off, of course), so they'd fit into that model well, although if you've got Strange, Ant-Man, Loki and who knows else knocking around the multiverse, that's not so much of a unique selling point any more. Maybe they'll fill the spacefaring slot vacated by the Guardians of the Galaxy, as I believe that series wraps up with film 3.

bgmnts

Dr Strange does a magic spell called intellectualus propertus kazam! and the fantastic four and xmen fall from the sky and everything starts all over again.

I wonder if our descendents will think this is our religious belief or shared mythology. That would be funny.

mothman

"There is some evidence in the archaeological record to suggest that for a short early period the Ancients favoured a t-shaped-cross as a religious symbol before adopting the more-common x-shaped cross which persisted for many millennia..."

madhair60

Stonefish

I reckon they'll bring Thanos back as a good guy in one of these multiverse films.

Glebe

Quote from: Stonefish on January 25, 2022, 08:55:37 PMI reckon they'll bring Thanos back as a good guy in one of these multiverse films.

Spoiler alert
Harry Styles is his brother so anything can happen.
[close]

chveik

Quote from: Stonefish on January 25, 2022, 08:55:37 PMI reckon they'll bring Thanos back as a good guy in one of these multiverse films.

i thought he already was?

C_Larence

They do this in the What If episode with t'challa as star lord.

Replies From View

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on December 23, 2021, 10:23:14 AMThere has to be a point though where they step back from the multiverse and say "we've done that now" - they can't keep bringing it up in every single movie.

That said, isn't the next Ant-Man movie also going to be about the multiverse? Shit, maybe they will just keep bringing out alternate versions of the same old characters forever and ever. "What if Iron Man was played by a cat?"

"What if Ant-Man was human-sized!!"

Replies From View

They could have a really really weird dimension where Thor is a worthwhile character.

Mister Six

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on December 23, 2021, 10:23:14 AMThere has to be a point though where they step back from the multiverse and say "we've done that now" - they can't keep bringing it up in every single movie.

That said, isn't the next Ant-Man movie also going to be about the multiverse?

Just saw this again and thought I'd look at Marvel's upcoming roster. The multiverse-related stuff is in bold. Possibly/probably multiverse-related stuff is in italics.

Moon Knight (TV, March 2022)
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (May 2022)
Thor: Love and Thunder (July 2022)
She-Hulk (TV, mid-2022)
Ms. Marvel (TV, mid-2022)
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (November 2022)
Secret Invasion (TV, late 2022)
Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (TV, December 2022)
The Marvels (February 2023)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 2023)
Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania (July 2023)
Fantastic Four (TBA)
Ironheart (TV, TBA)
Armor Wars (TV, TBA)
Untitled Wakanda series (TV, TBA)
Loki (TV, TBA)

So that's not too bad - just that Spider-Man and Dr Strange 2 were released consecutively. But since one follows directly on from the other, I guess that makes sense.

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on January 26, 2022, 06:56:40 PM
Moon Knight (TV, March 2022)
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (May 2022)
Thor: Love and Thunder (July 2022)
She-Hulk (TV, mid-2022)
Ms. Marvel (TV, mid-2022)
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (November 2022)
Secret Invasion (TV, late 2022)
Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (TV, December 2022)
The Marvels (February 2023)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 2023)
Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania (July 2023)
Fantastic Four (TBA)
Ironheart (TV, TBA)
Armor Wars (TV, TBA)
Untitled Wakanda series (TV, TBA)
Loki (TV, TBA)

fuck this earth.

Mister Six

I know I shouldn't reward your desperate hand waving with attention, but over here, please.

madhair60

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

madhair60