Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:36:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dr Strange 2 [split topic]

Started by mothman, December 22, 2021, 05:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on May 12, 2022, 04:13:08 PMI saw Solo: A Star Wars Story in 4DX because there were no other convenient screenings to go to, lot of seat-shaking and bit of water-spraying (and mist I think?), the smellorama bit was basically just a lemony smell for everything.

All covert appetite whetting for the Hans Solo branded lemon fruit gums that are sold at those cinemas.

dissolute ocelot

Watched this at the weekend, it's an odd combination of fairground ghost train fun and barely explained references. I've seen most but not all of the prequels, but there are so many characters you're just assumed to know. There's some explanation of plot but no attempt to define or develop character or tell you who the characters are as people. America Chavez just appears and starts running around. Are we meant to know who she is? Do we care? She's an orphan, wow, how informative because that's clearly unique in the Marvel universe. Wanda is some powerful person but if you've not seen Wandavision are you mean to think Strange is an idiot for asking for her help? Fun to see the other assorted Marvel figures if you know who they are, but they don't actually do anything significant or cool.

It does work quite well as a ghost train ride, but Raimi can do much better than this. Some of his films have actual characters you care about, even the Spidermans. This gives me renewed appreciation for the Hawkeye TV series which despite flaws actually created a strong relationship between old hero and young hero.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 26, 2022, 01:03:37 PMWanda is some powerful person but if you've not seen Wandavision are you mean to think Strange is an idiot for asking for her help?
Couldn't you also say this about Saruman in Lord of the Rings?

Yes, you could.

Mister Six

It's worse there because Saruman is played by Christopher Lee.

mjwilson

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 26, 2022, 01:03:37 PMAmerica Chavez just appears and starts running around. Are we meant to know who she is?

No, this is her introduction, but unfortunately they didn't bother to give her any kind of characterisation.

Mister Six

Or hire an actress with any presence or charisma.

madhair60

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 26, 2022, 01:03:37 PMIt does work quite well as a ghost train ride, but Raimi can do much better than this.

When every stunt director they bring in still turns out a film identical in its direction in every way to every previous MCU movie since Iron Man in 2008, I'm inclined not to blame the fake director and to start blaming the cookie-cutter conveyor belt production.

btw before anyone pisses themself, I still enjoy most of the MCU movies. They're of a consistent type, that's all. That's not unusual for a long-running, single-narrative series.

Gulftastic

Watched it yesterday. I was happily pretty unspoiled, so did fanboy a bit at the cameos.

I'd assumed that was Clea in the post credits bit, which the full credits confirmed.

Is the 'incursion' stuff going to be how they get even more of Jack Kirby's creations into the MCU? At least Stan Lee won't be around to claim they were all his ideas.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: madhair60 on June 27, 2022, 10:27:13 AMWhen every stunt director they bring in still turns out a film identical in its direction in every way to every previous MCU movie since Iron Man in 2008, I'm inclined not to blame the fake director and to start blaming the cookie-cutter conveyor belt production.
I thought there were bits that reminded me of "classic" Raimi, but he's the only big Marvel director whose work I was familiar with before. Might be those personal touches all over the shop.

I finally watched it, and it was fine. It did seem a little bit like they were throwing away all the character development from "WandaVision". Also, as a childless fella, the idea that you'd destroy reality to hang out with a couple of boring tweens when you could just...have some actual real babies? Adopt a couple?...seemed a little bit weak as motivation. Set up a damn orphanage for kids who've been orphaned thanks to superheroes destroying things, why don't you?

It was fun seeing the alternate characters, although Peggy Carter dying 10 seconds after her quip reminded me (unfavourably) of the scene where the marine dies in "Jason X".

It was definitely entertaining, but I'm not sure I love the multiverse as a location for all Marvel's shenanigans. Feels like there's less weight for the big decisions when you can just step into another reality and grab a fresh version of a dead character.

But, enough grumbles. I preferred it to the other recent Marvel movie I saw, "Shang-Chi", although there's not a huge difference between the best Marvel movie and the worst one.