Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:12:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 24, 2022, 04:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Meta comedy where Nicholas Cage plays himself, and supposedly he's thinking of giving up acting after he misses out on a role when he's offered a million dollars to attend the birthday party of one of his biggest fans. About half way through it turns in to an action comedy, while Cage occasionally imagines having conversations with a far younger cgi version of himself, but it's only quite funny, there's some nice ideas on occasion and pace wise it's fine, but I can't help but wish it'd gone to weirder or funnier places than it did. 7.2/10

Icehaven

That's disappointing, I've seen ads for this and thought it looked like it could be great. Still going to give it a go but I'll keep my expectations in check.

Thomas

I liked the premise, but after seeing the trailer I did worry that it might be less offbeat and weird than it could be. Nic entered the metaverse in Adaptation - I was hoping it would veer off along those lines, but it looks closer to Episodes (not a criticism of Episodes, which I haven't seen much of).

Like Icehaven, I'll probably still see it, if only to contribute to Cage's next dinosaur skull.

Small Man Big Horse

It's possible my expectations were too high after seeing some very positive reviews, and I hadn't seen a trailer so had no idea what it was going to be about other than that Cage was playing a version of himself, so there's a very good chance that others will enjoy it more than I did. And I did really like it too, I just didn't love it like I hoped I would.

Joe Qunt

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

JamesTC

Episodes isn't a bad shout. Nic Cage playing a similar parody as Matt le Blanc. Young Cage felt like Sick of It.

It is a fun film. Probably a little short on laugh out loud moments for a comedy and it weirdly goes a bit Jonny English in the middle. It is just all a bit by the numbers.

non capisco

Saw this last night and, yeah, it's OK. One belly laugh (the hoary old
Spoiler alert
they could have just walked round the wall
[close]
gag that you'll see coming but is nonetheless really well executed by Cage and Pedro Pascal, whose chemistry together saves the film, really) and a load of 'alright for a Sunday night' fluff. The cinema audience I saw it with really weren't digging it, though. Played out to virtual silence until the scene where they
Spoiler alert
get on the LSD
[close]
which is a looooong way into the film for no-one to be laughing.

I did like how
Spoiler alert
young manic Cave hallucination
[close]
is the one from the infamous Wogan chat show appearance, leather jacket, Wild at Heart promotional T-shirt and all.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Joe Qunt on April 25, 2022, 11:49:37 AMWhat on earth does this mean?

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 25, 2022, 11:57:01 AM72%

I can understand the confusion / annoyance, I'm aware the system doesn't make much sense a lot of the time (especially compared to how I've rated other films in the past), but it's just what feels right to me when I've finished watching something.

Joe Qunt

Well SMBH, you are an odd fellow, but I must say you steam a good ham.

Small Man Big Horse

You're not the first to say that, but thank you all the same.

Quote from: non capisco on April 25, 2022, 12:38:03 PMI did like how
Spoiler alert
young manic Cave hallucination
[close]
is the one from the infamous Wogan chat show appearance, leather jacket, Wild at Heart promotional T-shirt and all.

I don't remember ever seeing that interview until today, but wow, it really is something quite unique.

the science eel

Just out and enjoyed it until the ending and then the real ending, both of which were fucking bollocks.

That one sight gag (previously mentioned) was fabulous.

non capisco

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 25, 2022, 04:03:48 PMYou're not the first to say that, but thank you all the same.

I don't remember ever seeing that interview until today, but wow, it really is something quite unique.

I meant to type 'young manic Cage', not 'young manic Cave'. A film where Nicolas Cage hallucinates the young Nick Cave would truly be some awful try-hard shite, wouldn't it?

mjwilson

Quote from: Thomas on April 25, 2022, 10:25:03 AMI liked the premise, but after seeing the trailer I did worry that it might be less offbeat and weird than it could be. Nic entered the metaverse in Adaptation - I was hoping it would veer off along those lines, but it looks closer to Episodes (not a criticism of Episodes, which I haven't seen much of).

I enjoyed this a lot - there are some faint echoes of Adaptation but they're not really doing the same thing.

13 schoolyards

It felt like the best possible direct-to-streaming Cage movie, rather than something that really stood up in a "trip to the cinema" way. I enjoyed it a lot but it felt more like it was designed to remind audiences why they liked Cage in his mainstream efforts than a film that really dug down into the way he's been giving crazy performances for thirty years

Sebastian Cobb

^ Caught a trailer in the cinema the other day and it did look fun. But yeah, dunno if I'd bother going to the pictures for it.

Also caught a trailer for a re-run of The Sound of Metal which does look like a cinema job, what with the drums and sounds and that.

phantom_power

I didn't have very high expectations for this but ended up enjoying it. It was pretty funny, and surprisingly emotional at times. It had a similar "film ends up like the criticism of cinema talked about earlier in the film" vibe as Adaptation, though not as clever as that. Young Nic Cage was surprising but fun, as was Sharon Horgan.

Blumf

Watched it last night. It's not bad, but I really struggled to see a point to it. Not really funny enough to be a comedy. Not really deep enough for a drama. Not really exiting enough for an action film.

It's worth a punt for Cage and Pascal, who work nicely together. Maybe if they had forgone all the pretence and just had a light comedy based on two average men forming an awkward but loving friendship, it might have been a better film.

Although not a direct match, I think I preferred Tropic Thunder (2008), which at least gives us the comedy and action.

I'll be generous and give it a 7/10.

bgmnts

I enjoyed it very much and think a 7/10 is about right.