Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:14:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films using the soundtrack from other films as their soundtrack

Started by notjosh, May 23, 2022, 01:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 19, 2022, 11:58:18 PMThe theme from News at Ten also appears in the opening of largely forgotten animation Journey Back to Oz, which stars Judy Garland's daughter Liza Minnelli as the voice of Dorothy and Margaret Hamilton (the Wicked Witch in the 1939 film) as Auntie Em.

https://youtu.be/wfdkXvaRNWA?t=429

Not films, but similar to this, is it Spongebob Squarepants where the Terry and June theme shows up?

Glebe

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 24, 2022, 10:53:49 AMNot films, but similar to this, is it Spongebob Squarepants where the Terry and June theme shows up?

Fuck me!

lazyhour

Relevant to this thread: Harry Nilsson was asked to write a song like Everybody's Talkin', which I believe was being used as a placeholder, for the movie Midnight Cowboy. He wrote the wonderful "I Guess The Lord Must Be In New York City", but John Schlesinger ended up just going ahead and using Talkin'. It's kind of a shame, because the song Nilsson wrote was actually much more thematically appropriate for the movie.

Ant Farm Keyboard

There were a bunch of people who competed to get their song picked as the main theme to the film.
Schlesinger wanted to use "Everybody's Talking'", but the producers realized there was no money they could make if the song became a hit. So, they asked major songwriters to come up with an original song, one on which they could get the publishing rights. Nilsson came up with the song you mentioned, Randy Newman (whom Nilsson had covered on an entire album) submitted "Cowboy", Joni Mitchell may have had a tune, and Dylan offered "Lay Lady Lay". Schlesinger kept on insisting on using the Fred Neil tune instead, and ultimately won his fight. They explained that Dylan had been too late when he submitted his song, because they didn't want to explain why they had turned down something by Dylan in 1969, but they offered no explanation for the others.

The royalties to "Everybody's Talkin'" ultimately allowed Fred Neil to retire in Florida, to fight an heroin habit and to become an activist about the condition of dolphins used in film productions.

lazyhour

Ah, very interesting, thank you!

Randy Newman is a genius, but thank fuck Cowboy didn't get picked. That would have been a bizarre and terrible decision!