Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:15:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Disturbing Kiarostami allegations

Started by GoblinAhFuckScary, June 15, 2022, 08:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

So I've seen that the director Mania Akbari (who made Ten with Kiarostami), has made some quite shocking allegations on Abbas Kiarostami's conduct towards her.

These are screenshots from her newsletter:

Iranian news reference here

:/

Twit 2

Famous Mortimer

I thought this was a bumped thread - not sure when the allegations first surfaced, but it must have been a couple of years ago.

I don't know why, but I get a strange vibe from this. Mania Akbari spends quite a lot of time talking about how she directed the film and not Kiarostami, but the detail of him raping her is mentioned in passing right at the end, sort of buried. Also, cease and desist letters are usually legal documents, not open letters posted on blogs, right?

I also don't know the law of the country "10" was filmed in, but a filming release is usually a one-time thing, and the reference from Amina Maher that everyone who wants to show it or distribute it has to obtain her permission doesn't jibe with how I understand these things to normally work. Perhaps there was no contract at all? I see that the two of them made a sequel to "10" 4 years later, which seems to be a strange thing to do if their relationship with Kiarostami was so unpleasant.

The biggest thing, though, is a rather large inconsistency at the centre of these stories. If, as Mania Akbari states, she entirely directed the film, then the person who filmed Maher without her permission, starting a lifetime of trauma, is Akbari, not Kiarostami, right? You can't blame him for something he apparently didn't do. AKbari says "all the footage used in the film was my own".