Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:59:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good films you only really need to see once.

Started by Brundle-Fly, June 16, 2022, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Peter Mullan vehicles My Name is Joe and Tyrannosaur.

Rev+

Quote from: neveragain on June 19, 2022, 08:54:30 PMYeah, and also the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I feel the other way about that one, because it's such a different film depending on the mood you're in when you're watching it.  I assume that for everyone seeing it for the first time it's a bleak, weird and oppressive onslaught.  Sometimes it's exactly that when you see it again, but sometimes the thread of humour through it pulled right to the surface, and you realise how bloody daffy the whole thing is.

Cuellar

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 17, 2022, 12:14:10 PMI think DMS just bleaked me out so much the first time I don't think I can put myself through it again. I've not been able to revisit Grave of the Fireflies yet for similar reasons, I'm an emotional wreck.

Requiem I thought was a load of rubbish however so that's deffo a one-and-out film for me!

I've managed to get through Dead Man's Shoes a good few times, but A Room for Romeo Brass was a one and done for me.

Kankurette

Shooting Dogs. Brilliant film but I could never sit through that again. Same with Requiem for a Dream, because I saw it at the worst possible time -  my mum had just come out of rehab. I can't watch the end without crying.

Sebastian Cobb

Happiness as well, I generally like unremitting bleakness when it comes to films but I simply didn't like this one.

chutnut

I bought Irreversible on DVD from HMV, then took it back the next day knowing I'd never want to watch it again. I wouldn't even say it was good tbh, "time changes everything"... deep stuff
Baise Moi was shit too iirc but I didn't bother returning the VHS I bought of that

Agree with the Todd Solondz films

I know these aren't films but the mrs always wants to rewatch Utopia and Mr Robot, I liked both but have no interest in doing that

I watched Audition, knowing nothing about it. I obviously can't recreate that and its impact.

QDRPHNC

Shutter Island is totally rewatchable, great atmosphere. In fact once you know the twist I think a second viewing is required.

Sebastian Cobb

I kind of worked out the twist from the trailer anyway.

Neomod

I remember Manchester by the Sea being pretty good but have no desire to see it again. Ever.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 19, 2022, 03:30:25 PMAdmitting I don't like Solaris is making me feel like Elaine in that episode of Seinfeld where she's the only person who didn't like The English Patient.

I've watched the Tarkovsky and Soderbergh versions and read the book and I'm convinced there is something great at the centre of all of it but none of them are truly great.

Famous Mortimer

I don't have any particular desire to see Leaving Las Vegas again. But then, I'm just not much into those movies that rub your nose in how shit everything is, I can wander down the street and work that out.

Brundle-Fly

dissolute ocelot

I feel most films about the civil rights struggle and slavery possibly fit in this category: important to watch once, but no particular desire to watch e.g. Selma or 12 Years A Slave again. Maybe if you're black or a teacher, it's different.

And speaking of Steve McQueen, Hunger. (I don't consider Shame a particularly good film but wouldn't rewatch it either, although partly for Carey Mulligan-related reasons.)

I've meant to rewatch Solaris for about 20 years, having seen it on TV decades ago: initially having a video cassette and now a DVD. Maybe some day!

Bence Fekete

Nocturnal Animals
The Idiots
The Forbidden Room
A Field in England
Even Dwarfs Started Small

neveragain

Agree for The Forbidden Room. Purely the look of it puts me off a second watch; like a fever dream you can't wake up from. That may make it sound good, but it was generally disappointing and I had high hopes for the concept.

Blinder Data

We Need to Talk about Kevin. Watching it on a laptop with headphones made the experience even more intense. Very good film but I don't think I can go through it again and I haven't eaten a lychee since.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 30, 2022, 11:16:38 AMWe Need to Talk about Kevin. Watching it on a laptop with headphones made the experience even more intense. Very good film but I don't think I can go through it again and I haven't eaten a lychee since.

What did Kevin's shart sound like on headphones?

Stigdu

Quote from: chutnut on June 21, 2022, 11:16:42 AMI bought Irreversible on DVD from HMV, then took it back the next day knowing I'd never want to watch it again. I wouldn't even say it was good tbh, "time changes everything"... deep stuff

Came on here to say the same. Irreversible is an amazing film, surely set to divide audiences. I was really moved by it, but the last 2 or 3 minutes with the rotating camera and low Hz sounds made me feel sick, and I actually stopped and fast forwarded a little... to the credits.

Powerful film, but not one I'd watch again in a hurry.

iamcoop

Quote from: neveragain on June 19, 2022, 08:54:30 PMYeah, and also the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Have to strongly disagree on this one. Whilst the pervading sense of dread is almost nauseating at times, it's a genre classic that I've watched loads. Perfectly pitched and still terrifying.

I suppose it may be different if you're not a #horrorbuff though.

SweetPomPom

Breaking The Waves.
Definitely worth that one time though.

monkfromhavana

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Great film, loved it, but have no desire to ever watch it again. I think it's maybe the films where there's a shocking ending or one with an emotional ending when you have invested so much in the characters that you can't / won't watch it again.

Also, Gatwick Gangsters.

Sebastian Cobb

Forgot about Kids. Although I think I could've gone without seeing it a first time really.

H-O-W-L

Old Thrashbarg