Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:03:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lightyear

Started by SteveDave, June 29, 2022, 08:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpupkin

I for one want to see this toy film but haven't been because I'm a 36 year old childrenless man. One day I will puruse the toy film in the comfort and secrecy of my own home, thank you very much.

Replies From View

Andy would be so young when he watched Lightyear that popcorn wouldn't even fit in his mouth yet.  What kind of post-credits scene is that?  Is his mum squishing it in by force?

Thomas

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 29, 2022, 11:00:21 PMIt's a misguided (though understandable) attempt by Disney to cash in on the idea that everyone loves origin stories and extended universes at the moment, but that only works under certain circumstances. If Disney decide to blame its failure on the gay kiss, that's incredibly cynical.

I believe Disney recently blamed the failure of misguided extended universe cash-in Solo on the central recast, which was a transparently disingenuous thing to do (Obi Wan Kenobi is played by ______), as well as smearing poor young actor bloke as the problem.

Replies From View

To be fair, if I was Disney I'd obstinately refuse to learn my lesson as well.

Thomas

I've just been reading the Wikipedia article for Lightyear, and I suspect that we might soon be hearing uncomfortable stories from behind-the-scenes. I was rather hoping Hollywood had begun to leave this sort of behaviour behind:

QuoteDirector Angus MacLane, also a science fiction fan, had felt attracted to the character of Buzz since he started working at Pixar.

Replies From View

"Ever since the toys came out I've been routinely squishing my glans with the helmet of a first generation buzz lightyear figure.  The ones that had more of a guillotining sensation to the plastic." 

Blumf

Old Nehamkin

To the extent that I've ever really thought about it, I always assumed that the Buzz Lightyear toy line presented in Toy Story was supposed to be a bit like Action Man or G.I. Joe and that the lines of backstory about the space rangers and the evil emperor Zurg were meant to evoke the kind of broad, hacky universe-setting that you'd get with a daft toy franchise like that. I've not seen this film but from the trailers and the plot description it sounds like it's trying to riff on recent high-concept sci-fi movies like Interstellar or The Martian while also doing the reverential origin story thing with a smattering of self-reflexive modern disney/marvel movie thrown in.

It just seems like a bit of a weird sell with an uncertain target audience and the premise that this is meant to feel like the kind of franchise-spawning blockbuster that would enchant a small child in 1995 seems a bit at odds with the kind of film they've actually made.

Stigdu

I don't think it's going to be as successful as many of their other films because of the same sex relationship in the film.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's just a space adventure movie, with a slightly more serious version of Buzz Lightyear brought in as the hero to tie it with Toy Story and to make it look like a spin-off.

Replies From View

This film should have been more in the spirit of Batman Forever, Mrs Doubtfire and The Shawshank Redemption, when you think about it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Stigdu on June 30, 2022, 12:42:26 PMI don't think it's going to be as successful as many of their other films because of the same sex relationship in the film.

There would have been even more complaints if they had omitted sex entirely.

ZoyzaSorris

I basically enjoyed it to be honest, I appreciated all the hyperspace visuals and general graphical style and also the little cat. The kid seemed to really enjoy it and this, like Jurassic world, is essentially a film for kids. I mean I did keep falling asleep again off and on for the last half an hour so make of that what you will, but I have been sleeping about 5 hours a night for two months due to brutal medication regime. So a good film for kids or brain dead insomniacs.

willbo

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 30, 2022, 12:40:50 PMTo the extent that I've ever really thought about it, I always assumed that the Buzz Lightyear toy line presented in Toy Story was supposed to be a bit like Action Man or G.I. Joe and that the lines of backstory about the space rangers and the evil emperor Zurg were meant to evoke the kind of broad, hacky universe-setting that you'd get with a daft toy franchise like that. I've not seen this film but from the trailers and the plot description it sounds like it's trying to riff on recent high-concept sci-fi movies like Interstellar or The Martian while also doing the reverential origin story thing with a smattering of self-reflexive modern disney/marvel movie thrown in.

It just seems like a bit of a weird sell with an uncertain target audience and the premise that this is meant to feel like the kind of franchise-spawning blockbuster that would enchant a small child in 1995 seems a bit at odds with the kind of film they've actually made.

yeah. Kids tend to like young heroes (Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, Spider-Man, disney's Simba or Aladdin, Frodo etc.) Even Christopher Reeve's Superman acted like a naïve boy. Boy's haven't been into alpha male adult heroes since the 1950s.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Thomas on June 30, 2022, 11:25:56 AMI believe Disney recently blamed the failure of misguided extended universe cash-in Solo on the central recast, which was a transparently disingenuous thing to do (Obi Wan Kenobi is played by ______), as well as smearing poor young actor bloke as the problem.

It was quite depressing how much Alden Ehrenreich was dragged through the mud over that stupid film. One minute he was giving a show-stealing turn in a star-packed Coen brothers movie and the next he was suddenly the scapegoat for some of the most inept franchise management in history with every idiot nerd and hack showbiz reporter snidely painting him as some sort of hapless amateur. Sad that his career seems to have been torpedoed by being involved with that shitey series.

Replies From View

He's truly solo now, eh readers!!

*wink*

Midas

I'm all for rollocking Tory Toys extended universe light shows but not in front of the children.

idunnosomename

the good dinosaur would've been better if they had made it a Rex spin-off movie.

ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! did I get the part?!

Midas

I've had to hide this from everyone I know, but I actually despise all of these sentimental Pixar films and resent the infantile society that has allowed them to flourish. Grow up! "Lightyear" being an anagram of "Gay Hitler" is also utterly inappropriate for the target demographic, who likely couldn't fathom the implications of such an idea.

Goldentony

if you dont cry at Jessie's song from the second film then you are quite frankly as emotionless as a junk yard dog

Goldentony

Jessie's song from Toy Story 2 is better than Bend Sinister

Replies From View

Quote from: Goldentony on June 30, 2022, 10:08:13 PMJessie's song from Toy Story 2 is better than Bend Sinister

"Bent Sister" more like

Midas

Sat in the front row with my arms folded and booed all the way through Jessie's song. Shite.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: willbo on June 30, 2022, 01:14:00 PMyeah. Kids tend to like young heroes (Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, Spider-Man, disney's Simba or Aladdin, Frodo etc.) Even Christopher Reeve's Superman acted like a naïve boy. Boy's haven't been into alpha male adult heroes since the 1950s.

I wouldn't say it was quite like that in my eighties childhood, I mean everyone preferred Han to Luke, Avon was the most popular character in Blake's 7, sexy bastard Venkman was the most liked Ghostbuster, we were all big A-Team fans and comics characters like Judge Dredd and Doomlord were big hits (well, the latter's first series at least, when he started liking humanity he wasn't as much fun). Sure, there are exceptions (Marty McFly, Tom Baker's Doctor was quite childlike) but I can think of plenty of other examples of eighties macho leads.

Replies From View

Venkman was so much older than the other Ghostbusters - how on earth could he have been favoured??

Goldentony

all the Ghostbusters look 50 and are really ugly so you go with the funniest which seems the least disarming and you can guarantee someone like Venkman wont get his big fat erect cock sucked off raw nasty by a ghost like a nutcase

Replies From View

As a kid I definitely identified more with the child Ghostbusters which is all of them apart from Venkman, that's all I'm saying.

Goldentony

Quote from: Midas on June 30, 2022, 10:11:57 PMSat in the front row with my arms folded and booed all the way through Jessie's song. Shite.

you mother fucker that was YOU?

bgmnts

Quote from: willbo on June 30, 2022, 01:14:00 PMyeah. Kids tend to like young heroes (Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, Spider-Man, disney's Simba or Aladdin, Frodo etc.) Even Christopher Reeve's Superman acted like a naïve boy. Boy's haven't been into alpha male adult heroes since the 1950s.

Indiana Jones I suppose?

idunnosomename

the ghostbusters thing is appropriate here because if Andy was obsessed with the first Ghostbusters film he'd have a blonde toy of Egon who doesnt really look like Harold Ramis.

also he'd have seen Afterlife and complained about it on reddit