Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:01:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Question for you IT bods about the CaB website (or 'I've pissed off BarryAdmin')

Started by studpuppet, March 07, 2023, 04:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Weird thing happened in Chrome last week. Instead of opening CaB as normal I got this:

"Wow" I thought, "That Fry & Laurie post was more incendiary than I realised."

It's not happening in any other browsers or machines (Mac desktop & Android phone are fine) , just the PC version of Chrome, and regardless of which Google account I'm signed in with. I've tried emptying the cache for the page to no avail, so before I empty the whole browser cache, is there anything else I can do?

touchingcloth

Can you try a different browser on your PC, or using Mac/Anroid on the same network as the PC if you haven't already?

This happened to someone a while back and I think it was because all of EE's IP addresses had been banned, so it was affecting that person on their phone connection but nowhere else.

Blumf

In that screenshot, you don't appear to be logged in, so that may be affecting what you can view.

studpuppet

Quote from: Blumf on March 07, 2023, 09:24:25 PMIn that screenshot, you don't appear to be logged in, so that may be affecting what you can view.

When I hit the button it throws up: 'Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!'

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 07, 2023, 05:57:02 PMCan you try a different browser on your PC, or using Mac/Anroid on the same network as the PC if you haven't already?

This happened to someone a while back and I think it was because all of EE's IP addresses had been banned, so it was affecting that person on their phone connection but nowhere else.

I'm currently using Microsoft Edge to post this on the same laptop - tried from more than one IP address and no dice.

touchingcloth

Quote from: studpuppet on March 08, 2023, 12:13:07 PMI'm currently using Microsoft Edge to post this on the same laptop - tried from more than one IP address and no dice.

Cool. You said you've "tried emptying the cache for the page" - how did you do that? Ctrl + R/F5 or something? If so and you haven't tried this already, the next thing I'd suggest is using a private window in Chrome as in my experience that's the best way to ensure cookies and cache aren't affecting things.

If you don't see the same issue in then you might need to clear cookies and cache in settings, but fingers crossed not as that's always a pain as it will log you out of sites, delete your Wordle history, all of that sort of stuff.

Barry Admin

Sorry about this, it does happen.

I'll have a look. If you can give me the date and time of when you get the message, I can find the conflicting IP address or whatever.

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 08, 2023, 12:41:28 PMCool. You said you've "tried emptying the cache for the page" - how did you do that? Ctrl + R/F5 or something? If so and you haven't tried this already, the next thing I'd suggest is using a private window in Chrome as in my experience that's the best way to ensure cookies and cache aren't affecting things.

In Chrome you can hit F12 and then right-click the Refresh button and it gives you options to reload, hard reload, or empty cache and hard reload. Handy if you only want to empty the cache for one site. But it didn't solve the issue.

Good call on the incognito window, though - that allows me to log in. So would that make it cookies or the app-wide cache?

studpuppet

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 08, 2023, 12:42:02 PMSorry about this, it does happen.

I'll have a look. If you can give me the date and time of when you get the message, I can find the conflicting IP address or whatever.

Thanks - don't think it's the site's fault though or I'd have DMed you!

touchingcloth

Quote from: studpuppet on March 08, 2023, 01:10:07 PMGood call on the incognito window, though - that allows me to log in. So would that make it cookies or the app-wide cache?

Probably. I've had a similar issue as this a few times before where a single browser gets affected by things that don't affect different browsers on the same PC and network. When incognito on the failing browser has sorted things, the only way I've managed to sort it is by deleting all cookies and cache from all time. I'm lazy and have never looked into whether it would be possible to delete all time cookies and cache for a single site, but if you can be arsed googling or someone in this thread knows that might be a more targetted approach assuming it would be a pain in the arse to lose your settings for other sites than CaB.

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 08, 2023, 03:14:34 PMProbably. I've had a similar issue as this a few times before where a single browser gets affected by things that don't affect different browsers on the same PC and network. When incognito on the failing browser has sorted things, the only way I've managed to sort it is by deleting all cookies and cache from all time. I'm lazy and have never looked into whether it would be possible to delete all time cookies and cache for a single site, but if you can be arsed googling or someone in this thread knows that might be a more targetted approach assuming it would be a pain in the arse to lose your settings for other sites than CaB.

Thanks - deleting cookies nailed it. In Chrome you can delete just those and leave your browser history, logins, cached images and site settings intact, so a quick fix in the end.

Back to the CaB swamp!

touchingcloth

Quote from: studpuppet on March 08, 2023, 03:51:13 PMThanks - deleting cookies nailed it. In Chrome you can delete just those and leave your browser history, logins, cached images and site settings intact, so a quick fix in the end.

Back to the CaB swamp!

Good to know - there's a site I use about once a month for work which has this issue and where I just deal with it by going into incognito, but next time it happens I'll try flushing the cookies down the loo and see if that sorts it.

studpuppet

Hmmmm. So - turned the laptop on this morning and encountered this same problem on Chrome again. Tried the F12 + Hard Reload and Clear Cache, and nothing doing. Opened up Edge and there was the same 'banned guest' page as Chrome. Opened it up on my phone (Chrome on Android) and the same page again.

This afternoon I tried again, this time having logged out of my Google account on the desktop Chrome. Still doesn't work in Chrome or on the phone, but Edge seems to be working again, hence the post. Going to try the Mac at home later and see if that's affected.

Famous Mortimer