Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:43:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Broadband Emergency

Started by Jim_MacLaine, March 23, 2023, 12:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_MacLaine

I hope someone (buzby) can help me. Moving into a new flat on Friday and transferred plusnet fibre to new address....

But.

Only realized visiting today it has an ntl socket on the wall and no bt sockets.

Before I panic will plusnet come and install a bt socket alongside the ntl monstrosity (no problem with the cost) and how straightforward is the job?

I work from home so speed is of the essence.

seepage

Sounds like plusnet will have to book Openreach to connect the new address to the Openreach network. Curious why plusnet allowed the transfer without checking that the new address was connected. Can you get a 4G/5G router to tide you over in the meantime?

Jim_MacLaine

I told them the new address on the phone when i notified them of the change of address. They didn't mention a problem.

Then found the old ntl socket.

God knows what the previous flat resident used for internet as ntl don't exist anymore.

Will look into 4g router, thanks.

Not the best thing when moving is stressful enough.

Jim_MacLaine

Just ordered a router and a month unlimited data plan.

Hopefully that should cover me until an engineer is dispatched.

touchingcloth

The previous residents probably used Virgin. I've had Virgin installed in a house that had NTL sockets (big old beige nasty lumps), as I think they must have taken over their infrastructure.

buzby

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on March 23, 2023, 12:33:10 AMI hope someone (buzby) can help me. Moving into a new flat on Friday and transferred plusnet fibre to new address....

But.

Only realized visiting today it has an ntl socket on the wall and no bt sockets.

Before I panic will plusnet come and install a bt socket alongside the ntl monstrosity (no problem with the cost) and how straightforward is the job?

I work from home so speed is of the essence.
As others have said, an NTL socket means a previous resident had a telephone line at least from NTL, who were half of what became Virgin.

As to what this means for the flat - Plusnet are owned by BT, so will use BT Openreach's access network to get to the property. Your flat obviously already had a Virgin socket, but they have their own network that Openreach can't use. Depending on the type of property, when it was built and how many flats there are, the network access point can either be multiple cables run up the outside walls to each flat, a multipair cable that comes inside the building to a plant cupboard (usually also where the gas and electric meters are), or if there are enough units to warrant it and it was built after the late 80s, a dedicated comms cabinet that has a multiplexer connected to one or more E1 network trunk lines (or SDH optical trunk in Virgin's case).

BT have a 'universal service obligation' left over from their pre-privatisation days that means every property has to have access to a BT phone line, so BT probably have something going to the building, but it might only be copper pairs.

All this becomes a bit complicated if you want a fibre to the home service to a flat. The best option is if the lines to each flat are run externally up the walls, as they can just string a fibre over from the nearest pole, or street cabinet if it's an area where the cables run underground in conduits (provided the street has already had the Fttc/FttP network infrastructure installed, of course). If it's a building where the network access comes in on a multipair copper cable to a plant room, or to a multiplexer in a comms cabinet, getting fibre into the building and up to your flat can be a bit tricky. You should be able to check what services are available to the property here (though the database isn't 100% reliable, particularly when it comes to houses that have been converted to flats).

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 23, 2023, 08:31:05 AMThe previous residents probably used Virgin. I've had Virgin installed in a house that had NTL sockets (big old beige nasty lumps), as I think they must have taken over their infrastructure.
Virgin Media was formed in 2007 following the merger of NTL and Telewest, who between them had bought up all the (mostly US-owned) Cable TV network operators around the country that had got licences when the government auctioned them off in the mid-80s.

Jim_MacLaine

Checked that link buzby and does come up as being served by a cabinet number.

buzby

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on March 23, 2023, 11:32:41 AMChecked that link buzby and does come up as being served by a cabinet number.
Well, that's a good start at least. That will either be a brown cabinet out on the street or possibly a comms cabinet within the building, depending on it's size and the number of flats, with the number stencilled on it.

This is a copper PCP cabinet that's got the G.Fast FttDP extension cabinet attached to it. The FttC cabinets look a bit different, but can be identified by the louvres in the doors.

Without knowing specifics of the property and it's location it's hard to say more (the same will be true for the Openreach engineer).

Jim_MacLaine

Thanks for the comprehensive answer buzby. Was hoping for a "oh that'll be piece of piss to sort out"

We'll see.

Jim_MacLaine

Um, I just got a text from plusnet saying my broadband was up and ready to use!

How can that be?

buzby

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on March 23, 2023, 07:18:49 PMUm, I just got a text from plusnet saying my broadband was up and ready to use!

How can that be?
It probably just means it's been enabled at the fibre mux at the street cabinet. Does your package come with a phone line? If so, that is usually turnd on at the same time. If you haven't got a BT master socket then it doesn't help. of course

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: buzby on March 23, 2023, 09:00:24 PMIf you haven't got a BT master socket then it doesn't help. of course

Should the ISP not be checking that when they take the order?

Jim_MacLaine

Unless I missed the bt master socket of course but I don't think I did. It would have been near the ntl socket wouldn't it?

Package comes with phone line.

buzby

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 23, 2023, 09:07:34 PMShould the ISP not be checking that when they take the order?
They will just go off the details in the Openreach database, which as I said is not 100% reliable, particularly for houses that have been converted to flats. It might be that the house originally had a BT phone line before it was converted, or one of the other flats has had one put in. Openreach won't know the full SP until someone goes and physically has a look.

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on March 23, 2023, 09:26:37 PMUnless I missed the bt master socket of course but I don't think I did. It would have been near the ntl socket wouldn't it?
There's not any reason for it to be. For instance, my (unused) BT master socket is in the hallway, but my Virgin master socket is in the living room. In the case of a GPO/BT master socket, it's their property, so they tended to put then near the place the line enters the permises (usually at a door or window frame, as it was easier to drill through) to encroash as little as possible.. That means they usuually are sited in the hallway or front room and then you could run your own extensions off from there. When you get Cable installed, they ask you where you want the socket as they have to bring the coax cable in across your garden from the pavement for the TV/broadband anyway, so it normally goes through the front wall into the living room.

Are the BT lines on poles in the street outside the flat?

Jim_MacLaine

Panic over.

There was an open reach socket by the door.

Up and running.

Thanks Buzby!