Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:40:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Podcast Editing - Advice Sought

Started by DrGreggles, March 29, 2023, 04:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Recorded a 'pilot' episode* last night over Zoom.
Got the separate audio files, so I really just need a way to cut and splice.
Planning to use Audacity, but thought I'd better ask if there was anything better out there.

*because there just aren't enough podcasts out there

QDRPHNC

Audacity is pretty good. Also, Adobe has just released Adobe Podcast, which is free. If you go to the website you can drag and drop an audio file and it'll return it all cleaned up and sounding amazing.

I tried it on a very low quality old audio recording and it couldn't tell the difference between the voice and the hiss, so what I got back was a very clear malfunctioning robot. But other than that it's great.

gib

greggles mate, let me know when it's available

DrGreggles

Quote from: gib on March 30, 2023, 12:15:44 AMgreggles mate, let me know when it's available

I won't self-promote, but details will be provided somewhere

PlanktonSideburns

Reaper is great, because you can easily set the whole project to 1.9 speed and bomb through it

Audacity is great for what it is, but reaper is a bit more flexible

Also get the Thomas mundt maximizer plugin, slammin for balancing out levels a bit without ruining things

GoblinAhFuckScary

i'm still using the same ableton 8 i pirated 13 years ago for all my audio editing

if you can do that i find it pretty perfect

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 30, 2023, 12:08:24 AMAudacity is pretty good. Also, Adobe has just released Adobe Podcast, which is free. If you go to the website you can drag and drop an audio file and it'll return it all cleaned up and sounding amazing.

I don't know about Adobe Podcast, but Adobe Audition is their audio editor and it's excellent, does everything you could want it to (and features a preset for podcast tracks which works remarkably well even without tweaking and is probably what the standalone thing is). It's expensive though, so I'd only recommend it if you already have the Adobe subscription for other reasons.

Audacity's probably more than enough for most people's needs. And in future, I'd also recommend turning off any innate noise suppression in Zoom and using RX iZotope after the fact for any noise reduction you want to do. It's incredibly good, and has saved files for me that really should've been unusable.

PlanktonSideburns

Don't give those adobe boobs any money

Retinend

I find Audacity really hard to use for anything but the most basic  audio editing tasks. The problem is that you can't easily identify chunks of audio without looking at the sound wave and "seeing" the words that the wave represents - you can't easily see where a sentence begins and ends in flowing speech, for example.

I recommend Adobe Premiere Pro, as you can easily chunk up audio and move those chunks around. You can cut a section of audio into sentences with the cut tool and then delete unnecessary sentences, for example. Or splice the beginning of one sentence into another. It takes pressure off of your memory and recognition of the sound wave.