Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:57:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Portable Music Player

Started by monkfromhavana, March 31, 2023, 09:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Hi,

I'm not sure if these things exist (yes I know portable music players exist, just finish the goddamn sentence before interrupting), but I'm after a portable music player that plays all files (FLAC, WAV etc etc), preferably with Bluetooth.

If they do, can someone recommend one please as I'm struggling to find any other than your standard MP3 player. I don't want to use my phone for it, cos my phone is old and I just like having separate devices for everything.

Thank you

Endicott

QDRPHNC

@monkfromhavana I still have the Acmee MF01 from the chi-fi thread @Endicott linked to above. It has some quirks, mostly in how it sorts folders (more details in that same thread), but if you'd like it, send me a DM and I'll get it in the mail.

I also have the Cayin N3Pro, which I can highly recommend, although to be honest it feels like more than I need (or can appreciate). I believe @Rizla picked up one of the Xduoo models, maybe he can give his opinion on that one.

monkfromhavana

All I really want is a player that plays MP3s / FLAC / WAV etc, is loud and can store a lot of music. I don't listen to albums and generally just stick it on shuffle anyway, so folders don't really matter to me that much.

How does it charge? USB?  Is there Bluetooth?

QDRPHNC

Yes, charges through USB-C. No on-board storage, it takes an SD card. Don't think it has bluetooth, unfortunately, but you can read more here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/acmee-mf-01.23996/

studpuppet

My two penn'orth: Thanks to the chi-fi thread I bought a used Fiio M7 for about £75 - a great piece of kit. In standard form it's a slightly disabled DAP with bluetooth as well as a headphone jack, with a solid metal body and cut-down Android interface and Fiio's own software.

But install some modded firmware that adds the Google Play store and un-disables its limited wifi capability, and you can install your own preferred music player, audiobook player and podcast app. It takes up to a 512GB SD card, but that might only be because there weren't any 1TB cards when it was released.

It's been my main source of music for the last six months - it plays through a bluetooth speaker or ear buds when out and about, but I've added a headphone amp and studio-quality headphones for home listening. For me it had the best balance of lots of features without the stupidly high prices of most other Chinese-made DAPs.