Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Web browsers

Started by Mr_Simnock, April 26, 2023, 11:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

I'm finding firefox doesn't seem to function well with more and more websites, anyone got any recommendations for an alternative. I use windows 7 and think Edge and chrome are a bit poo so don't suggest them. Maybe it's time to get windows 10 but I'm trying to put that off till I get a new PC sometime this year.

Enzo

Not sure how well Brave works on Windows 7, but it's my daily browser now. Doesn't seem to eat as many resources as chrome even though it is based on chromium itself.

Don't try Ice Dragon. Had my fingers burned there.

Dr Rock

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on April 26, 2023, 11:40:57 PMI'm finding firefox doesn't seem to function well with more and more websites, anyone got any recommendations for an alternative. I use windows 7 and think Edge and chrome are a bit poo so don't suggest them. Maybe it's time to get windows 10 but I'm trying to put that off till I get a new PC sometime this year.
An increasing number of websites are being optimized for Chrome alone so the answer is to switch to it, another Chromium browser (Brave/Edge), or accept the issues with Firefox and have one of those as a backup browser

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on April 27, 2023, 07:49:11 AMAn increasing number of websites are being optimized for Chrome alone so the answer is to switch to it, another Chromium browser (Brave/Edge), or accept the issues with Firefox and have one of those as a backup browser

what the fuck for?

Mr_Simnock

I won't use bloated snoopy shit like chrome, I'll stick with firefox

Cloud

Still finding that Chrome performs the best. There's always Ungoogled Chromium if you're allergic to the whole mass data collection thing

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on April 27, 2023, 12:38:31 PMwhat the fuck for?
Why allocate resources to support other browsers when no one is using them?

dontpaintyourteeth

I still use firefox

There are dozens of us. DOZENS

earl_sleek

I've always found Chrome performs like dogshit from a dead dog's arse. My aged mother asked me to help set up her new laptop recently, I tried to put chrome on it as I thought the UI would be cleaner and easier to use, but it was so slow it was unusable. But Firefox is fine.

gabrielconroy

I use Firefox and find it to be fine for pretty much every site, the ones I visit, anyway.

Doesn't Brave mine crypto in the background, or did they stop doing that?

touchingcloth

Quote from: gabrielconroy on April 27, 2023, 03:47:51 PMI use Firefox and find it to be fine for pretty much every site, the ones I visit, anyway.

Doesn't Brave mine crypto in the background, or did they stop doing that?

They stopped it, though there's some crypto wallet integration shite that is a mild pain in the arse to switch off.

I've been using Brave as my main browser for a couple of years now, and haven't had any issues with it. The main downside versus something like Firefox is the Chromium base. They don't track your behaviour like Chrome itself does, but plugins come from the Chrome store meaning things like YouTube downloaders have been nixed. I keep Firefox on hand for the occasions I need to use a different browser, but it's been months since I've opened it.