Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:26:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Waterproof touchscreens - what is point?

Started by touchingcloth, May 02, 2023, 01:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

My watch and headphones are technically IP<whatever) water resistant. This might be technically correct in that it means they still walk after they fall in the sink, but it's also largely irrelevant because both devices being controlled by touch screens/panels they can't actually be actively used in water because they read it as if they have a finger held permanently against them.

Am I missing something? Am I supposed to cover them with tape/goose fat before taking them for a swim*? Or is that not point of waterproof?

* The watch has a mode for tracking swims, and it locks the screen during this precisely to avoid this issue.

pigamus

Shaxberd

Maybe it's so you can use them in the rain.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Shaxberd on May 02, 2023, 01:54:52 PMMaybe it's so you can use them in the rain.

I tried using them to listen to podcasts in the shower (as advertised!), but it just made them skip, the volume change, or power down. I imagine the rain would have the same effect unless it was light enough to make waterproof ratings irrelevant.

BlodwynPig