Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:53:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PC fan constantly firing up with Steam

Started by Norton Canes, May 04, 2023, 02:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Maybe this should be in the PC Gone Mad subforum but it's game-related, so...

My PC fan always fires up when I play Root on Steam. Never any other time, no matter what's running. Speeds right up to full whack an' all.

Did some Googling, couple of threads threads (1|2) suggested installing some software which I did but it made the fan run constantly from switch-on even when Steam wasn't running so I uninstalled it.

This happen to anyone else? Any ideas..? Running Windows 10 Pro

seepage

before you start Root, right-click on the task bar and select Task Manager. Double-click of the header on the CPU column to show CPU usage descending. Start Root, then when the fan starts, press alt-tab, select Task Manager and the culprit should be at the top of the list

C_Larence

You know what they say, no fire without steam

Norton Canes

Quote from: seepage on May 04, 2023, 02:34:40 PMbefore you start Root, right-click on the task bar and select Task Manager. Double-click of the header on the CPU column to show CPU usage descending. Start Root, then when the fan starts, press alt-tab, select Task Manager and the culprit should be at the top of the list

Hmm okay, Root @ ~30%-35%

Is it possible/advisable to override whatever PC setting triggers the fan?

(Processor is an i5-4570T, 8GB RAM)

oggyraiding

Might be useless advice, but can you limit FPS for the game? I find some games don't have an FPS limit, and if it's not a hugely resource intensive game the hardware goes into overdrive trying to render thousands of frames per second. Think it happened with the title menu screen in New World, fried a lot of video cards (apparently).

MojoJojo

Get a program that reports your CPU/GPU temperature - it's almost certainly why the fan is coming on.

Steven88

I have the maximum processor state turned down to 95% and have processor performance boost mode turned off,  and my laptop barely makes a noise now when playing games like football manager and it's still pretty quiet when playing higher intensity games.

Power options > edit plan settings > change advanced power settings > processor management

surreal

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 04, 2023, 03:11:58 PMHmm okay, Root @ ~30%-35%

Is it possible/advisable to override whatever PC setting triggers the fan?

(Processor is an i5-4570T, 8GB RAM)

Is it a desktop or laptop?  If it's a desktop and older than about 5 years you could look at changing the thermal paste on the CPU.  Also try cleaning the fans themselves - if the system isn't cooling properly that may be one place to start

Norton Canes

Quote from: Steven88 on May 04, 2023, 05:36:25 PMI have the maximum processor state turned down to 95% and have processor performance boost mode turned off,  and my laptop barely makes a noise now when playing games like football manager and it's still pretty quiet when playing higher intensity games

Changed max processor state to 95% and cooling policy to passive (slow the processor before increasing fan speed). Fan remained off for a few minutes (longer than normal) but was spinning up after that. I guess I can throttle the processor further.

Quote from: surreal on May 04, 2023, 06:16:39 PMIs it a desktop or laptop?  If it's a desktop and older than about 5 years you could look at changing the thermal paste on the CPU.  Also try cleaning the fans themselves - if the system isn't cooling properly that may be one place to start

I've booked it in for a service this weekend (telling them about the fan problem), hopefully should make a difference

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 04, 2023, 06:29:41 PMI've booked it in for a service this weekend (telling them about the fan problem), hopefully should make a difference

extremely easy to do yourself in not much time, how much are you paying for that?

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 09, 2023, 11:32:28 AMextremely easy to do yourself in not much time, how much are you paying for that?

Agree if it's a desktop, not so much if it's a laptop - which is it?

On a laptop I reckon you're on a hiding to nothing depending on the model as they are so balanced for performance and battery life. As described you have to push your limits right down and then it's a gamble if the game will perform well. However could be a bit of dust in the fan and a service will help.

If it's desktop though take the good advice above on thermal paste and a bit of a clean out.

Mr_Simnock

Accordig to Intel Ark the processor quoted, i5-4570T, is for desktops so I am guessing that

Norton Canes

Got it done by the bloke I bought it off (reconditioned) so only a few quid, got a general healthcheck too (the PC, not me). He said there was so much dust and fluff matted behind the fan, it all peeled away in one bit like a little blanket.

Played all they way though a game of Root last night without so much as a rev, so seems to have done the job.

H-O-W-L

Might be worth turning Vertical Sync on or otherwise checking your framerate in Root. If you've got good hardware and Root is a lower-requirement game then your GPU could be working massive overtime cranking up to 300+FPS etc. Best to cap it at your monitor's maximum display rate (usually 60, 72, 122, 144, 165, you can easily find out by googling your monitor make) or just around 100.

I personally made an effort to get a 165hz monitor but still cap a lot of games around 100 because there's naepoint and it sometimes makes them run too fast.

seepage

As Root is turn-based, I'd cap it at 30 fps, or if you only play turn-based games, take Cold Meat Platter's tip and lock the frame rate to 30 in your graphics card control panel.