Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,808
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:56:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chromebook or laptop?

Started by holyzombiejesus, August 24, 2023, 03:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Got about £400 to buy a new machine. A friend suggested a Chromebook but I'm a silly old fool who doesn't understand the modern world and I didn't really get what he meant. If I just want a replacement for my knackered old Acer which I generally used for going online, a bit of streaming and the occasional game, would a Chromebook meet my needs? Are they generally decent and reliable or would a laptop be better in the long-term? Any recommendations for either?

El Unicornio, mang

Chromebook is just a laptop with its own operating system (Chrome OS, as opposed to Windows or iOS). They're dirt cheap, and fast and reliable. But they have relatively weak hardware so definitely not a good idea if you're planning on doing any multimedia work or high end gaming. Sounds like it would meet your needs though.

Sebastian Cobb

Won't Chrome OS (a linux derivative) rule out most gaming anyway? I worry HZJ might get annoyed with the cloudiness of Chrome OS if he's used to working locally, I'm sure originally they more-or-less forced you to upload everything and discouraged local storage but also vaguely remember hearing they might've got better with that?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 24, 2023, 04:10:15 PMWon't Chrome OS (a linux derivative) rule out most gaming anyway?

Depends what kind of gaming. There are guides out there for installing Steam on them, and there are plenty of games on Steam with Linux versions. I'd be wary about compatibility though.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 24, 2023, 04:10:15 PMWon't Chrome OS (a linux derivative) rule out most gaming anyway?

Cloud gaming would solve that problem (as well as the hardware issue) just need a good internet connection.

Would be fine for Android store games as well. I personally wouldn't have a Chromebook but not a bad option for something cheap that does the basics.

Sonny_Jim

I'm extremely wary about cloud gaming for anything other than a turn based RTS.  Reaction time is important for gaming and the lag between pressing a button, sending it off to an external server, processing it and sending the video back would make it unpalatable for me.  Might just be me being 'old man shakes fist at cloud' though, as Ive never tried it.

Also worth bearing in mind that cloud gaming relies on that service being available in the future, but honestly I don't think anyone cares about playing games that are more than a couple of years old at this point.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 24, 2023, 04:18:00 PMCloud gaming would solve that problem (as well as the hardware issue) just need a good internet connection.

Would be fine for Android store games as well. I personally wouldn't have a Chromebook but not a bad option for something cheap that does the basics.

Yeah they don't seem bad but don't seem great value compared to a used Thinkpad with Debian or Pop! on them either. But that's not what I'd suggest for HZJ.

I have considered cloud gaming to try out Stellaris and Workers and Resources on the above. No point building a pc for them as I suspect I'd tire quickly anyway.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on August 24, 2023, 04:34:28 PMI'm extremely wary about cloud gaming for anything other than a turn based RTS.  Reaction time is important for gaming and the lag between pressing a button, sending it off to an external server, processing it and sending the video back would make it unpalatable for me.  Might just be me being 'old man shakes fist at cloud' though, as Ive never tried it.

Also worth bearing in mind that cloud gaming relies on that service being available in the future, but honestly I don't think anyone cares about playing games that are more than a couple of years old at this point.

Puts down Chuckie Egg in shame/fury

holyzombiejesus

Thanks everyone. The only games that'll be played will be little kid games by my 6 your old.

Again, not sure if I know what I'm talking about but I always use Chrome on my PC so I think that means I'd be used to it? Any makes or models to look out for, or any really great laptops on offer anywhere?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on August 24, 2023, 04:34:28 PMI'm extremely wary about cloud gaming for anything other than a turn based RTS.  Reaction time is important for gaming and the lag between pressing a button, sending it off to an external server, processing it and sending the video back would make it unpalatable for me.  Might just be me being 'old man shakes fist at cloud' though, as Ive never tried it.

Granted I've only used it to play MLB The Show 23 (because it's not available for PC so I have to cloud play the Xbox One version) but I've found it fine. Does need a fast, stable internet connection and could struggle with those games where fast reaction times are needed though.

MojoJojo

I'm intrigued by the concept of a turn based RTS.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 24, 2023, 11:04:16 PMI'm intrigued by the concept of a turn based RTS.

I get it. There were definitely ones that claimed to be RTS' but probably weren't really 'cos when it kicked off just went into a dialogue box decision tree of' they've kicking fuck out your castle do you want to pour a bucket of shit over them?' etc.

Sonny_Jim

Look I know all about games, me.  Chuckie Egg, Daley Thompson's Decathlon.

All the games

Norton Canes

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 24, 2023, 03:03:55 PMa bit of streaming and the occasional game, would a Chromebook meet my needs?

On a Chromebook now, use it for exactly those things + general browsing, it's great. Nice and light so I cart it from kitchen to living room, or wherever I'm not in people's way. Got it free with a new O2 contract, if that's a help.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 24, 2023, 11:48:02 PMOn a Chromebook now, use it for exactly those things + general browsing, it's great. Nice and light so I cart it from kitchen to living room, or wherever I'm not in people's way. Got it free with a new O2 contract, if that's a help.

Ah, cheers. Think that's swung it for me. The best 3 Chromebooks around my price range (and a bit over) are the Acer Spin 514, Lenovo Duet 3 or 5 and the Asus Flip CX5. Thoughts? Best value places or ways of getting these cheaper? Read that now is a good time to buy as students will be snapping them up but not sure.

QDRPHNC

I have a Chromebook and a MacBook, the latter rarely leaves my apartment. Even though it's a few years old, I was always very aware that it would cost me about $1500 to replace - travelling with a Chromebook is much less stressful, and since pretty much everything you do on it is cloud based, you don't have worry about losing work if it gets lost or damaged.

Acer, Lenovo and Asus will all be pretty decent, although I've heard that Asus's after sales service is pretty bad.

samadriel

I bought a Chromebook last year, but I gave it to my wife and replaced it with a conventional Windows laptop this year after starting a traineeship that required a lot of Microsoft software.  The Chromebook was quite nice, but you should definitely consider how reliant you might be on Windows or Mac software, and whether you'll be alright with Android/ChromeOS substitutes.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on August 24, 2023, 11:29:53 PMLook I know all about games, me.  Chuckie Egg, Daley Thompson's Decathlon.

All the games

You missed 3D Maze

Sonny_Jim

Sorry was busy playing Amaurote.

Sebastian Cobb