Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:08:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Iplayer from abroad (VPN recommendations)

Started by jamiefairlie, November 14, 2022, 12:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

What's the best way to access BBC's Iplayer from abroad? I'm assuming I can install a paid VPN on my PC and just install the Iplayer app? Any recommendations on a particular VPN or is there some better solution? I'm not moving back to the UK to answer one predicated joke answer.

touchingcloth

App? I didn't know there was a desktop app, but I use it via a browser.

Nord VPN works reasonably reliably for me to access iPlayer, but some servers seem to be known to them so you need to switch to a different one sometimes. Very easily done, though.

get_iplayer is an easy way to download things, if you ever want to have the files for watching on whatever device rather than via the app/website. It requires using the command line rather than a graphical interface, which may or may not be your bag.

Ferris

Tunnel Bear is flawless and gives 500MB of data a month free, and you can sign up for as many (free) accounts as you like to do that several times (or just sign up for one of the paid plans). Even the mobile app works well.

Or so they say, I'd never use a VPN.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 14, 2022, 11:15:31 AMApp? I didn't know there was a desktop app, but I use it via a browser.

Nord VPN works reasonably reliably for me to access iPlayer, but some servers seem to be known to them so you need to switch to a different one sometimes. Very easily done, though.

get_iplayer is an easy way to download things, if you ever want to have the files for watching on whatever device rather than via the app/website. It requires using the command line rather than a graphical interface, which may or may not be your bag.

Does get_iplayer get round the region locking  problem?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Ferris on November 14, 2022, 06:49:20 PMTunnel Bear is flawless and gives 500MB of data a month free, and you can sign up for as many (free) accounts as you like to do that several times (or just sign up for one of the paid plans). Even the mobile app works well.

Or so they say, I'd never use a VPN.

For this that may use this, not you obviously, does it stream UK channels?

touchingcloth

Quote from: jamiefairlie on November 14, 2022, 08:27:52 PMDoes get_iplayer get round the region locking  problem?

It's sporadic. Sometimes it works when I'm not on the VPN, sometimes it doesn't when I am. Usually trying the command a second time, reconnecting my Wi-Fi or reconnecting my VPN sorts it. Shrug.

Ferris

Quote from: jamiefairlie on November 14, 2022, 08:28:44 PMFor this that may use this, not you obviously, does it stream UK channels?

I've heard people used it seamlessly to stream the new Stewart Lee specials, though it required two free accounts because the 500MB was about 35mins of content before it ran out.

Log into another free account using a different email address, skip[ to the 35 minute mark and job done.

Or that's what I've heard, anyway.

buntyman

I use the Surfshark app. I strongly recommend getting one of the new Chromecasts that have GoogleTV built in and let you install a VPN app directly to it. Surfshark works really well on my Chromecast for the iPlayer although less so for Netflix.

DrGreggles

DrGreggles

Consignia

Opera's VPN is terrible. It's slow and loads of geo-locked sites block it's VPN addresses. You're really getting what you pay for with it.

nugget

I've been using NORDVPN to watch iPlayer from Germany for years and had very few problems. I don't know if it's the best, but I have no motivation to look for anything else.

Ferris

Mobius

I tried a lot of free VPNs recently and they were all shit, and to use any of the features you actually wanted, they'd try and make you pay money.

Ended up just renewing my PIA (PrivateInternetAccess) account.

touchingcloth

There are free plugins available for most browsers that give VPN access, however the last time I tried any of them they all seemed to be using the plugins to mine crypto on your computer. You really do get what you pay for.

falafel

Anyone had any success getting Now TV to work?

jamiefairlie

Thanks for all the suggestions. It came down to either Nord or Express and I went with Express and it worked perfectly for the Qatar game this morning.