Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:55:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trying to remember a forum that was people from old The Guardian forum users?

Started by yaktaur, November 30, 2022, 09:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yaktaur

I keep wanting to think it was called Comment is Free but it's not that... it's a forum like this one, full of people that used to post on The Guardian forum years and years ago... am I crazy?

Quote from: yaktaur on November 30, 2022, 09:09:00 PMI keep wanting to think it was called Comment is Free but it's not that... it's a forum like this one, full of people that used to post on The Guardian forum years and years ago... am I crazy?

Just The Talk?

https://beta.justthetalk.com/

dissolute ocelot

Everyone's quick! Anyway there's an old CaB thread about the Guardian talkboards closing here.

Moj

I lurked on the GU talkboards through most of the oughts. For some reason the Guardian was the only news website allowed though the filter where I worked, and that included the talkboards.

It's a shame the archives weren't saved anywhere. There was a militant vegan who used to start threads about the subject, and was extreme to the point that people were (jokingly) accusing him of being part of the group who dug up someone's grandmother's grave to get an animal testing lab closed. All very normal, but when the group got jailed, the posts stopped.

It's sad to hear how riddled with transphobia the replacent got, because generally the respected and tenured posters seemed to be various shades of left wing, who spent their time mocking frothing racists and homophobes. Again, they ran off a bigot who argued against gay marriage by getting him to explain how it affected him. All he could offer was along the lines of "when I mention I'm married at a party, people won't know I'm straight without further clarification." Which descended into further mockery, as he was for denying rights to a whole group of people because he was worried people he'd never met might think he could be gay for a few seconds.

I don't know if it's another example of people who would be considered liberal 15-25 years ago sliding to the right like many a banana, or if the new board was invaded by transphobes or what, but.its very dispiriting none the less.

touchingcloth

Here's the best place to go if you want to get down to some hardcore splother with other people from the Guardian - http://qcckaff.weebly.com/

king_tubby

Quote from: Moj on December 01, 2022, 01:27:40 AMAgain, they ran off a bigot who argued against gay marriage by getting him to explain how it affected him. All he could offer was along the lines of "when I mention I'm married at a party, people won't know I'm straight without further clarification."

Didn't stop him getting media work off the back of it. 'Scourge of the lefties'. Can't remember his name, thankfully. He'd probably be a presenter on GB News if it had happened this decade.

king_tubby

Quote from: Moj on December 01, 2022, 01:27:40 AMI don't know if it's another example of people who would be considered liberal 15-25 years ago sliding to the right like many a banana, or if the new board was invaded by transphobes

The former.

Moj

Quote from: king_tubby on December 01, 2022, 09:23:13 PMDidn't stop him getting media work off the back of it. 'Scourge of the lefties'. Can't remember his name, thankfully. He'd probably be a presenter on GB News if it had happened this decade.

Really? Jesus.

Was it ever found out if that militant animal rights poster was actually part of the gang that got jailed for digging up the corpse of someones nan? I believe they stopped posting after sentencing so the timing was, at the very least, funny.

king_tubby