Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:29:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Photo editing/RAW management software (Apple silicon)

Started by touchingcloth, December 07, 2022, 06:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Can anyone recommend any decent photo editing and raw management software for Macs, ideally things that run natively for Apple chips?

Lightroom doesn't seemed to have a cracked version of the old school (non-cloud) version, so I've resigned myself to looking for a free alternative.

The main thing I'm interested in is a decent set of histogram tools that can help with identifying clipped highs/lows in both the original and processed files, and the ability to accept Lightroom presets would be a nice addition.

I have an x86 version of Lightroom which runs on my MacBook, but it's hella slow and I suspect it's hammering my SSD enough that I'd be leery of running it for long periods even if it wasn't laggy as fuck and apt to crash every five minutes.

darktable worth a try? seems to be intended to form part of a toolchain rather than do everything, but it has an arm64 release

I've never used it and I don't have M1 but I like to reply to threads with no idea of what I'm talking about

touchingcloth

Darktable is the best of the ones I've tried, but it's very different from Lightroom.

If no one chimes in with any alternatives I might just have to suck it up and learn the clunky interface as the tradeoff for cost.