Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:12:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tablet recommendations

Started by Mister Six, December 07, 2022, 07:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the laptop reccs thread. Sod it. Anyway, I'm looking for a decent, lightweight Android tablet with a nice screen and pleasant feel. Screen size around 10 inches, I guess?

Basically, this is just to read comics and watch videos on, so it doesn't have to be flash. I bought a cheapo ($50, I think) WeCool tablet a few years ago, but of course it's slowish, and the screen is small, has a harsh blue tint and feels... unpleasant to use. Sort of rough, or slightly gummy. I dunno.

I've been spoiled by Mrs Six's iPad, but there's no way I need that much power behind the screen. Not looking to drop a fortune on it, but I can afford a fair bit more than $50 now.

Any tips?

Glebe

Think the Lenovo P11 has a decent screen at a reasonable price, was considering picking one up in the Black Friday sales before going for a Chromebook.

Mister Six

Quote from: Glebe on December 07, 2022, 08:50:42 PMThink the Lenovo P11 has a decent screen at a reasonable price, was considering picking one up in the Black Friday sales before going for a Chromebook.

Bugger, I forgot about Black Friday. Absolutely fucked that, didn't I?

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on December 07, 2022, 11:20:30 PMBugger, I forgot about Black Friday. Absolutely fucked that, didn't I?

Pretty much everything I had my eye on had sold out by the time I went to purchase online/in store. The Chromebook I'm currently typing on that I picked up in Argos has good specs, but there are several niggles not the least is which is the low brightness.

samadriel

I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e a few years back for comics and video, and I still have no reason to update. Screens haven't gotten bigger,  and it hasn't become laggy. It has an SD card slot, so you'll be able to store tons of stuff. Like I said in the Pixel thread, Samsung have never let me down, and an S5e should be pretty cheap these days.

steveh

I have a Lenovo Tab P11 Plus which has nice hardware and a not too customised Android, but Lenovo have been terrible about security updates. Despite their site saying it's still valid for system updates, from January to November there wasn't a single one despite regular Android fixes from Google and then last month they unexpectedly did an upgrade to Android 12.