Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:27:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia Season 13

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 02, 2018, 12:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

I really enjoyed that, though I think community did something very similar a few years back...

Mobius

Decent enough episode. After 140 episodes you can't really begrudge them a clip show, and at least they did something different with it.

AsparagusTrevor

Community's clip show was just clips of scenes we hadn't seen before wasn't it? I'd say this was a different enough concept, although South Park also did a clip-show involving mis-remembered stuff.

BeardFaceMan

Was worth it just to see the big grin on Macs face when they were doing the Seinfeld memory.

notjosh

Clerks: The Animated Series did a clip show in its second episode, including flashbacks to earlier in that episode.

MortSahlFan

I don't like the bandwagon of shows doing Trump, gender, toilets, etc.... but, I'll always watch the show, since I've seen every episode.. I'm off to season Episode 7.

I think my favorite episode was the real estate one.. That was social commentary, but done in a smart, funny way (and more important tan toilets). Does anyone know that title?

Ja'moke

The clip show episode was the funniest of the season so far, mainly for the Seinfeld scene and Frank's long fantasy legs.

Yes, Community once did the spoof clip show episode, but this was a different kind of spin on it. Plus Megan Ganz, Always Sunny writer/exec producer, used to work on Community, so maybe she felt it was ok to take inspiration from that idea.

selectivememory

Yeah, agreed with the general consensus here that that was a very good episode. It's just enjoyable to see them mess with the format and get a bit meta and knowing with it. Plus, it was very funny, so all other considerations aside, it was a successful episode just for that alone.

Ferris

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 19, 2018, 09:32:35 PM
The clip show episode was the funniest of the season so far, mainly for the Seinfeld scene and Frank's long fantasy legs.

Yes, Community once did the spoof clip show episode, but this was a different kind of spin on it. Plus Megan Ganz, Always Sunny writer/exec producer, used to work on Community, so maybe she felt it was ok to take inspiration from that idea.

Frank's long legs and hair had me laughing so hard it sounded a bit weird. Ditto the Seinfeld skit.

New Jack

Bhazor

Great idea but the setup was way too long taking 8 minutes of a 20 minute episode.

But the squealing Charlie and leggy Frank were the biggest laughs of the season so far for me.

neveragain

Quote from: Bhazor on October 20, 2018, 10:04:13 PM
Great idea but the setup was way too long taking 8 minutes of a 20 minute episode.

But the squealing Charlie and leggy Frank were the biggest laughs of the season so far for me.

Exactly. They should have got on with the joke quicker. Also thought the Dennis not-wanting-to-live-with-Mac thing was oddly humourless.

JamesTC

Kind of disappointed it turned out to partially be a clip show. Was hoping the whole thing was going to be misremembered moments.

Was a clip show enforced for budget reasons?

Quote from: notjosh on October 19, 2018, 12:09:34 PM
Clerks: The Animated Series did a clip show in its second episode, including flashbacks to earlier in that episode.

A joke completely ruined when it originally aired out of order, before the original first episode which it takes clips from.

Great episode though.

New Jack

Has there been a show with fake clips that were entirely original yet packaged as not so?

Cause if Friends is the only show that's done it, comedy has failed

Ferris

Quote from: New Jack on October 21, 2018, 12:21:35 AM
Has there been a show with fake clips that were entirely original yet packaged as not so?

Cause if Friends is the only show that's done it, comedy has failed

Community did it, see above.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: JamesTC on October 21, 2018, 12:05:12 AM
Was a clip show enforced for budget reasons?

I'm guessing it had something to do with Glenn Howerton's schedule conflicts which a few of the episodes were written around, most noticeably the 'Wade Boggs Challenge 2.0' episode which didn't feature him at all. I figure filming material for a clip show while he's available is an easier way to include him in an episode without all the complications of doing something with him on a grander scale.

AsparagusTrevor

It wasn't a proper clip show though was it, it was about 80% newly filmed stuff. Although for the second week in a row it was set almost entirely in the bar which might've been for budget/scheduling reasons.

And next week's episode is (supposedly) a Charlie-only episode (Home Alone parody).

New Jack

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on October 22, 2018, 05:34:12 PM
And next week's episode is (supposedly) a Charlie-only episode (Home Alone parody).

\o/

Frank Stallone

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 22, 2018, 08:33:21 AM
..which might've been for budget/scheduling reasons.

I'm feeling like this is the case for most of the season, due to Glenn's commitments to his other show. Lots of bottle-styled episodes, or episode where he's not in it that much. I like the creativity they've shown so far though, although this particular episode didn't work for me due to the length of the lead in, and then the concept going weird and nonsensical. Worth watching for Seinfeld (double Jerry!) and Frank's long legs, though.

Chollis

Frank's long legs was defo the best bit this week

New Jack

New episode was cute. I like solo Charlie. Not brilliant, and doesn't seem like they're "not" writing around Howerton's absence... but it's a good Charlie episode

It's in my Onedrive if you don't doxx me

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: New Jack on October 24, 2018, 11:34:12 PM
New episode was cute. I like solo Charlie. Not brilliant, and doesn't seem like they're "not" writing around Howerton's absence... but it's a good Charlie episode

Ooh, thanks for that, it's hugely appreciated.

Frank Stallone

Can't believe, including tonight's episode, there's only 3 left this season. It's absolutely flown by this year.

Small Man Big Horse

I loved tonight's episode but the folks on Reddit seem to really dislike it, which is odd.

Ferris

I wasn't a huge fan actually. Charlie is such a likeable character; this kind of body-horror/Saw stuff doesn't play well. Just makes me sad :(

remedial_gash

Quote from: New Jack on October 24, 2018, 11:34:12 PM

Cheers dude!xxx

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 25, 2018, 02:32:53 AM
I wasn't a huge fan actually. Charlie is such a likeable character; this kind of body-horror/Saw stuff doesn't play well. Just makes me sad :(

Paint can slapstick though.

neveragain

Thought there was some joyous comedy in this but after Charlie got stuck it did turn into something else (a tad horrorish), enjoyable but not your average Sunny.

Sebastian Cobb

What's the legitimate purpose of the plug-in heating element both Charlie and Kevin hung round the door handle? They just look really dangerous and something that shouldn't be sold.