Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:59:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS #3 - That's my bit of lager!

Started by shoulders, February 26, 2024, 08:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Quote from: shoulders on March 25, 2024, 08:37:52 PMIs there a less enticing cover image than that? They don't have pointy white hats on

There are few things that will make you glad to be living through our wretched time but that is one

Juan K Perros

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on March 23, 2024, 06:48:02 PMI'd never heard of Desi Pubs before. Are there any in Scotland?

The Maltings in Cairneyhill, about 15 minutes west of Dunfermline. Full Indian menu and the owner (Deepak) is something of a whisky connossieur so there's 100-odd of them as well. Glasgow to Dunfermline bus stops right across the road from it.  Not much in the way of craft beer but the Tennents is cold and cheap for washing down samosas while watching the football.

shoulders

Enjoying Pivovar Obora's beers at Výčep in Tábor this evening. The best Czech breweries nail tradition and modernity, this is one.

Norton Canes

Quote from: shoulders on March 25, 2024, 04:41:55 PMAh yeah, saw that. Craft beer has well and truly peaked I'm afraid. Consolidation and more corporate influence is the obvious short term trend. Still, the legacy is huge and obvious so no complaints

And the other silver lining is that although some events go under, It'll mean higher attendances at those which remain.

Oh.

king_tubby

40 quid entrance fee? That would be steep even if it wasn't dogshit.

shoulders

In Pelhřimov today at the source of one of my favourite lagers, Poutník. £1.45 secures you a half litre of their 12° in a local pub.

shoulders

That's just been blown out of the water by Bernard 12° Nefiltrovaný from the tank at Bernard's brewery in Humpolec.

One of the nice things about Czech and German breweries is they don't mark up the price of beer at their taprooms usually, normally they subtract the cost reflecting the distance from tank to tap.

So even though Bernard is a fairly glitzy operation this premium beer is still available for 50kc. That's around £1.65. Post-inflation and tax readjustment post Covid, that's really good.

If you think this is remote/unachievable, well, not really. It's 1hr 15 on a bus from Prague. Similar to Pilsner Urquell Brewery, quicker than Budvar brewery.

shoulders

Man, even the estate murder pubs in Humpolec have unfiltered Bernard and Jarní/Frühlingsbier immaculately tapped for fuck all.

shoulders

Best beer of the CZ trip was a 5.5% abv Polotmavý from Pivovar Mamut actually at the brewery in Mikulov.

Indulgent fruity fudge but still grounded with a dry lingering finish. Dangerous stuff.

The beer at Bernard brewery was so good though.

shoulders

I also had the most pointless beer known to man, a Czech brewed "Italian Pilsner" by SIBEERIA.

Imagine if Fortnum & Mason brought out a "Proletarian Sausage Roll".

shoulders

New one

Bernardibräu Dörfler Vollbier
4.9%

Very cool for my local off license Raynville Superstore to store this. Quite obscure even for Germany.

Made way far south in the Allgäu rather than usual Bavarian area.

Takes a lot for Helles to stand out. Delicious. Full bodied but crisp with a really, really repeatable note.

It's a good one.

shoulders

Püttner Basalter Dunkel Vollbier (5.2% abv) from Schlammersdorf north east of Pegnitz. A very well-rated Bräuereigasthof, it would appear. I wouldn't know.

I had this once before a few years ago. Impressed me then and now.

Near black with a glimmer of brown horse chestnut. A well-hopped Dunkel with seriously repeatable bittersweetness.

The surprising bitterness of the hop, crispness of carbonation and satisfying roast malt leave a harmonious, moreish finish.

Deeply enjoyable beer. Those who prefer a chocolatey, smoother or milder Dunkel are advised to pick a different brand.

shoulders

https://xn--bayerische-bierknigin-wec.de/

Voting is still open for the Bavarian Beer Queen 2024-2025

Yep wish I was kidding

shoulders

Trembling Madness in York have taken order of some lesser seen Czech brands that will be worth your while:

Zichovec
Cvikov
Jarošovský
Permon
Kutna Hora (ignore the basic lager, go for the weird stuff)
Regent
Vinohradský (more common but only just)

holyzombiejesus

Dunno if this would be of interest to Leeds folk...

QuoteRefold | Beer In Your Ear zine launch

02/05/24 6-8PM

Join us on Thursday May 2nd between 6-8pm for the launch of the Beer In Your Ear zine.

The zine features new work by Refold, investigating the connection between music, brewers, and beer.

There will also be beer: kindly supplied by Verdant Brewing Co.

Interest in creating stuff seems to spill over into different disciplines. Brewing in particular seems to attract a lot of people with a music, art and design background, people with strong opinions and strong tastes. Why is that the case? What are the connections between beer and art? Can beer be paired with music? What are the musical tastes of the people who brewed the beer you're drinking? Refold started his investigation with a series of conversations with some of the brewers from North and Verdant. You can read snippets from these conversations in the zine. You will also come across a few playlists provided by various people from the breweries.

Think of this zine as a conversation. Listen to the music that's been recommended. Discover something new. Don't put beer in your ear. If you're sipping that DIPA right now, ask yourself, "what music would go well with this?" Enjoy.

https://coloursmayvary.com/blogs/events/refold-beer-in-your-ear-zine-launch