Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:34:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tom Waits's Best Song

Started by kalowski, April 09, 2021, 10:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 12, 2023, 07:33:27 PMFair enough because the originals aren't *that* available but it's more that it's a way of selling them again for £30+ with very little altered.  That's just what new vinyl costs these days though.
It is. £40 plus shipping since it's coming from Germany.
But only way I can afford it nowadays. Other than the odd bootleg on the market.

Pink Gregory

Loads of people seem to say thet prefer the Asylum years, and much of a fan as I am I think those people are mad.

dontpaintyourteeth

Might as well do a list n all

Dirt in the Ground
Alice
Pay Me
November
Flowers Grave
Martha
Ruby's Arms
The Piano Has Been Drinking

Pink Gregory

kalowski

You say uneven but I suggest another listen as I did here:
Quote from: kalowski on May 13, 2021, 12:34:09 PMInteresting that I wrote this recently, as I have very recently picked up the vinyl of Bad As Me and it's made me re-evaluate things. It's a great album, just as good as the rest of his late period work. Loads of Ribot on guitar!

Pink Gregory

Norman Records sez the vinyl rereleases are remastered from the original tapes, that's exciting

Pink Gregory

Quote from: kalowski on July 12, 2023, 08:23:31 PMYou say uneven but I suggest another listen as I did here:

Uneven is the wrong word, I think there were just a couple of songs on it I wasn't arsed about, which is not something I have with any other post-Asylum record; if I may be overly harsh on what's likely to be his final studio album.

Back in the Crowd, Satisfied, Face to the Highway and Get Lost, to be candid.

However Chicago, Raised Right Men, Pay Me, Last Leaf, Hell Broke Luce and New Year's Eve are as good as anything he's done

Johnboy

kalowski

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 14, 2023, 01:24:44 PMUneven is the wrong word, I think there were just a couple of songs on it I wasn't arsed about, which is not something I have with any other post-Asylum record; if I may be overly harsh on what's likely to be his final studio album.

Back in the Crowd, Satisfied, Face to the Highway and Get Lost, to be candid.

However Chicago, Raised Right Men, Pay Me, Last Leaf, Hell Broke Luce and New Year's Eve are as good as anything he's done
Actually like Back in the Crowd, Satisfied, Face to the Highway and Get Lost but not too keen on Hell Broke Luce.
In fact I love Satisfied.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 14, 2023, 01:24:44 PMwhat's likely to be his final studio album.

Has he intimated that it might be his final studio album? He hasn't released any new material in ten years, so you do have to wonder if he's retired from music.

Toki

Love Bad As Me, can't understand why anyone wouldn't vastly prefer it to Real Gone, which is awful.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Toki on July 15, 2023, 01:04:23 PMLove Bad As Me, can't understand why anyone wouldn't vastly prefer it to Real Gone, which is awful.

Would tend to agree with this. I find large parts of Real Gone unlistenable

Pink Gregory

you fucking people jesus christ

I will concede that Real Gone and Bad as Me are somewhat equivalent

Toki

I only enjoy two or three songs on Real Gone, the rest I find just boring or, in the case of Top of the Hill, embarrassing. Bad As Me has more structured songs, and I appreciate that sort of thing more. The hidden track on RG is great, though.

dontpaintyourteeth

I hate all that captain birdseye ARRRR BRAP BROOM percussion loop bollocks. Embarassing

Pink Gregory

I will concede that it doesn't start well and doesn't pick up until Don't Go into The Barn

Trampled Rose and Green Grass are among his best though

kalowski

Hang on, Hoist That Rag is track 2 and Sins of the Father track 3.

You're all screwy.

Toki

Hoist That Flag is good (although the melody just reminds me of swordfishtrombones, the song, which I prefer) , but Sins of the Father I can't get along with. The itchiest my finger ever gets to touching the skip button.

jobotic

Quote from: Phil_A on April 11, 2021, 01:07:45 AMI love the starkness of "Dead And Lovely" from Real Gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCZC5dF8D8

Kind-of disappointed that they've cleaned up the murkiness of the sound on the remaster though(even added some extra stuff like the horns on Hoist That Rag), the distinctly lo-fi grunginess of it was a big part of the appeal for me.

I'm really not a fan of Waits, not a fan at all but that is really really good.

dontpaintyourteeth

Hoist that Rag was the only one I liked on it and they massacred it