Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:33:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Garage bands of the 1960s

Started by The Man With Brass Eyes, August 25, 2005, 08:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
<!now all new improved thread title to encompass entire garage scene!>

A friend of mine has just tipped me off about ? and the Mysterians - a garage band of the 60s, in the footsteps of the Stones & the Velvet Underground - but with more organ.

Lead singer ? (aka Rudy Martinez) always keeping sunglasses on during gigs, recording, interviews & photo sessions - and then legally changing his name to ?
(He tried to give the other members a secret initial such as Y, X etc, but they stuck with their own names).

From my brief adventures on google, the band had a short lifespan with their most famous hit being "96 Tears" (based on a poem "Too Many Teardrops" by ?.  Band member Eddie Serrato changed the title to to 69 Tears, the 6 & 9 getting swapped to get radio play).

Other so-called "garage" bands include the Sonics (being probably the most well-known of the bunch - back in vogue recently with the ballachingly sexy Have Love, Will Travel from the Landrover advert), and the Blue Magoos (thanks DirtyApe for that one!)

>> so can anyone recommend me other bands of the "genre" (if it *is* a genre), especially ? & the Mysterians.  cheers.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Tokyo Sexwhale

I've only heard 96 Tears, and it's great.  The Stranglers did a cover too, I believe.

...........Incidently, the name of the band was inspired by this film:

it looks excellent!!

Gypsum Fantastic

That tagline isn't genuine, is it??

dan dirty ape

96 Tears was pretty much the only thing they did.

In a similar vein, here's 'Tobacco Road' by The Blues Magoos. I love the bit when the verse comes back in after minutes of atmospheric faffing about halfway through.
http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1WLSVFH4TQ2OC1C60E4NPYXW7D

Quote from: "dan dirty ape"In a similar vein, here's 'Tobacco Road' by The Blues Magoos. I love the bit when the verse comes back in after minutes of atmospheric faffing about halfway through.

What a brilliant song! thanks.  I want to go out dancin' now.

heads it is.

hello.  second attempt at this thread, now covering the whole garage genre.

miss dynamiteheeeeheeee

Goldentony

cant find links to any of these bands but have a gander at the monks, and the raymen. the monks are really good because they were ex vietnam soldiers who came back unhappy, and they dress like monks. and also play a banjo thru a marshall amp.

thanks tony. that's brilliant.  the more the merrier.

What sound would bunging a banjo thru a Marshall amp have?

another nugget about ?:

Quotehe frequently claimed he had been born on Mars and lived among the dinosaurs in a past life, and that voices from the future had revealed he would be performing "96 Tears" in the year 10,000

(from here)

official ?/mysterians site

Goldentony

QuoteWhat sound would bunging a banjo thru a Marshall amp have?

its been a while since i heard them, its all just raw garage fuzz, very very good stuff.

purlieu

The one and only album by The C.A. Quintet is my favourite album in this vein. It's a pretty dark affair... it's called Trip Thru Hell, for a start. Like a much darker take on that Blue Magoos track, which is a particularl favourite of mine. Worth getting ahold of.

Musicoutoftrousers

The Sonics are absolutely terrific.

You probably already know the Kingsmen (you'll have heard their version of 'Louie, Louie' anyway), but they're worth looking into, as they kickstarted the big garage movement in the Northwest.

Check out the Shadows of Knight, definately. 'Light Bulb Blues' is my favourite song by them. Also, The Standells, the Seeds and the Count 5.

dan dirty ape

Vaguely in the same ballpark (it's on one of the 'Nuggets' comps anyway), I like 'I Can Only Give You Everything' by Them. Van Morrison's vocals are fucking great.

EDIT: File appeared not to work.

23 Daves

Has nobody mentioned the epic and brilliant "Blackout of Gretely" by Gonn yet?  "The universe is permeated with the odour of ker-o-seeen...".  It's so utterly ludicrous it's fantastic - real sixties pomposity with its tongue lodged firmly in its cheek.

The Stereo Shoestrings version of The Pretty Things "Defecting Grey" (retitled "On The South Road") is fantastic as well - like The Damned way before their time.

Oh, and let us not forget "Grey" by The Hush, some obscure bunch of Mancs who just happened to cut a very White Stripes-esque piece of work in the sixties.  I've got a bootleg jukebox 45 of it which cheers me right up on down mornings.

Quote from: "Goldentony"the monks

wow wee.  managed to pick up

Black Monk Time from a big London HMV store for £6.99 (they had it on their "lost classics" section.  and also a Garage/Punk/Rock compilation for the same price.  The disc opens with Have Love Will Travel by the Sonics.

check it ouuuuuuut.

Oh yeah and HMV (at least the Oxford RD store does) have the Psycho-Sonic best of disc for a tenner.

Peking O

That Monks album is a classic. "Shut Up" and "I Hate You" are big favourites around Peking Towers.

It takes a bit more time to get into than, say the Sonics - despite claiming to be the "anti-Beatles" the Monks are in places like those 60s bands like the Monkees... I'll listen to it.

23 Daves

Any right-thinking fan of The Fall should own a copy of that Monks album, if only because Mark E Smith has covered a number of the tracks upon occasion...

It's an essential part of anybody's sixties collection to my mind.

Goldentony

Aye that Monks album is fantastic, good to see you managed to get a copy.

here's them arsing about on TV via youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2kDV0t2kxc&search=the%20monks

Thanks guys.  They've gone up in my estimation after that clip.  It's gotta be the most zany gimmick ever - tonsures.  They're a lively act alright and the organs are sexy.

humanleech

Pebbles Vol. 3. Most of the time these groups only had one or two great songs in them, so compilations are the most helpful, and this is the best.

TheWizard

Despite recording a uncle's copy off the 4 disc set of Nuggets I picked up the one CD re-issue of the orginial vinyl album at Fopp for £5 this week.

mayer

Quote from: "Musicoutoftrousers"the Seeds

Pushin' Too Hard
Can't Seem To Make You Mine

Quote from: "Musicoutoftrousers"Count 5

Psychotic Reaction