Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:26:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Cover Version Thread

Started by quadraspazzed, September 03, 2005, 07:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quadraspazzed

Ahoy!

Instead of just posting these to the SDJ thread which I was gonna do, I thought I'd make a thread where all you wonderful people can post cover versions that you think will give aural pleasure to the massed ranks of other verbwhores.

Why covers? I dunno, covers have always fascinated me for some unknown reason. How X artist interprets Y artist's (or songwriter's) work is kind of interesting no? And I guess even the very choice of song tells you a little more about the covering artist's influences, unlikely as they may seem.

So without further ado I present

(Carried over from SDJ)

New Order - Vietnam/The Harder They Come (Jimmy Cliff)

Joy Division - Sister Ray (The Velvet Underground)

Bis - Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division)

Johnny Nash - Cupid (Sam Cooke)

(All new and shiny postings, with a distinctly potato taste to them - oe, they're Irish)

Damien Dempsey - Always On My Mind (Elvis Presley)

- Dunno if Damo has much recognition UKside, but I reckon he's the best Irish singer-songwriter since, um, Christy Moore. But be warned, if you don't like him, I can almost garantee you'll hate him. Anyhoo, Damo does Elvis.

Damien Rice - (Talkin' Bout a) Revolution (Tracy Chapman)

- Far as I know, unlike DD, this [inferior] Damo has made big waves in the UK. Here he is doing the Tracy Chapman, in his bedroom by the sounds of things)

Jack L - Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)

- Jack L(ukeman) is Ireland's... ummmm... well, here's someone else's view on him:  "a voice constructed on the epic scale. Its range extends from gravelly, bass depths worthy of a Tuvan throat-singer, all the way up to a note-perfect falsetto - and its almost operatic power, richness and intensity have seen the Irish singer-songwriter compared to Scott Walker, Tom Jones and even Elvis himself." And here he is doing Leonard Cohen.

Pony Club - Driving Home For Christmas (Chris Rea)

- If you don't know who they are, you should go to their site (www.ponyclub.tv and check out the audio page (where this is nabbed from). If you've heard the name before and are vaguely aware of them its probably cos 'Single' appeared on Morrisey's 'Songs That Saved My Life' compilation CD. And if you're awesomesupercool (like me) you'll have the albums, be eagerly awaiting the third album and have seen them live for the first time last weekend and been blown away. I really like this version, which is a bit surprising given that I fucking loathe the original.

Finally for now...

Pulp - Whiskey in the Jar. (Thin Lizzy/Trad Arr)

Jarvis turns into Philo, all in the name of helping rase cash for Childline. Great stuff altogether.

... get posting

falafel

Well, that just about covers it.

splattermac

That's a sweet cover :)

Q: What do you call a paedo pirate?
A: arrrrr Kelly

chand

I really like this one.

The Dismemberment Plan - 'Crush' (Jennifer Paige).

I usually hate kind of indie-fied covers of things, but this has some nice subtle things in it and changes the song into a kind of weird slow thing with jazzy chords.

TraceyQ

Christ, one of my co-DJs played a cracking version of Nick Drake's Pink Moon tonight, by Mink somebody... Can think of the other part of the name.... any help?

TraceyQ

Labian Quest

Interesting cover of Roxanne by a band who may or may not be called 'Feed the cat' totally new arrangement:

http://feedthecat.host.sk/mp3.html   (there's a link at the bottom of the list)

Huzzie

Was it Walt Mink and not Mink Deville?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "TraceyQ"I kiss you.

*blushes*
I have the track in my soulseek folder if you want it

REM - Dark Globe (Syd Barrett cover)

I also have a rather amusing drunken cover of that song by Soundgarden, bit painful on the ears though

quadraspazzed

The Heptones make a cringeworthy Beatles song brilliant. Someone told me that the song was orginally written to be a reggae song, but that direction was later ditched. I have no idea if that's true or not. Anyhoo, this song is off the rather excellent Trojan(?) album 'Mellow Submarine: A Reggae Tribute to the Beatles'.

The Heptones - Ob La Di Ob La Da

And here's an updated version of Phil Ochs classic 'Love Me, I'm a Liberal', rewritten by anarcho-folkist Evan Greer.

Evan Greer - Love Me, I'm a Liberal

----

Sorry about starting off a new thread for a topic which it appears six already exist :|

jimmy jazz

Joy Nktonga

I love this acoustic version of ABBA's "Knowing Me Knowing You" performed by Evan Dando.

Rapidshare. 2.16mb.

Edit to add:

This is marvelous also. Piney Gir's spiky electro shouty fuzzboxy version of "My Generation".

Also Rapidshare. 3.8mb.

lazyhour

Quote from: "quadraspazzed"The Heptones make a cringeworthy Beatles song brilliant. Someone told me that the song was orginally written to be a reggae song, but that direction was later ditched. I have no idea if that's true or not. Anyhoo, this song is off the rather excellent Trojan(?) album 'Mellow Submarine: A Reggae Tribute to the Beatles'.

The Heptones - Ob La Di Ob La Da

You and your controversial statements!  I'm not a Beatles apologist, more of a distant admirer, but I must take issue with your pronouncements.  I don't think it's at all cringeworthy - it's actually a fave of mine, precicely because of the reggae-ish groovy beat that it has!  I would say that, far from being ditched, the reggae vibe is pretty healthy and clear.

Wasn't this song recently voted as one of the worst ever, or something?  In some twatty insignificant poll or list?  I hate polls and lists.  Gah.

Duffy

splattermac

*bump

a couple of new ones have come my way. I know the Paul Anka 'Rock Swings' LP has had a mention and I really expected to hate it but it's crooney good fun. Particularly REM's Everybody hurts which sounds perfect to play to your poor date while she's hovering in the lounge sipping wine and waiting for you to appear with coq (au vin). http://tinyurl.com/b79gd

the White Stripes awful cover of 'Walking with a ghost' by Tegan and Sara

Any more horrors lurking?

thepuffpastryhangman

Old hat now, but last time I saw Zappa, at the NEC, in erm, oh I dunno, maybe 1988? twas the Broadway The Hard Way tour, the intial glee at the encore of I Am The Walrus, mindblowing version, then the hilarity of Stairway To Heaven in which the trombonist played the guitar solo, was, well, pretty fucking cool to young impressionable me.

Ed Mann played percussion at that gig. He's the man who calls up Vinnie Colaiuta calls up when Vinnie's not sure where five is. Given my respect for Vinnie, to see Ed was a treat indeed.

These must? be the finest musicians mentioned anywhere on this thread (he says in a wanky sixth form style) on anywhere on the forum, perhaps?

Anyway, I'm sure recordings of these tracks are available, therefore rendering legitimate candidates for this thread.

Ed Mann, fucking hell! It's Ed Mann - the guy who calls up when Vinnie's not sure where five is...Ed Mann FFS, Ed fucking Mann...

fanny splendid

Not necessarily horrors...

Mark Kozelek (Red House Painters) - Little Drummer Boy (David Bowie & Bing Crosby)
Red House Painters - Whiskey In The jar (Thin Lizzy)
Tom Waits - Hokey Cokey (Traditional)
Low - Down By The River (Neil Young)
Joanna Newsom - Little Wing (Jimi Hendrix)
Belle & Sebastian - Waiting For The Man (Velvet Underground)
Belle & Sebastian - The Boys Are Back In Town (Thin Lizzy)
Cat Power - House Of The Rising Sun (The Animals)
Cat Power - Satisfaction (Can't Get No) (Rolling Stones)
Hole - Hungry Like The Wolf (Duran Duran)
Idaho - Rope (Low)
Tortoise and Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Pancho (Don Williams)

zozman

Good a place as any I suppose.

There's a free 20 track album of Belle and Sebastian covers here

http://www.kirstenspostcard.com/releases.htm

I've not heard it yet though so don't blame me if it's rubbish.

Marty McFly

i bloody love cover versions.

you techie-minded folks should check out this podcast that's dedicated to them..

www.coverville.com

alan strang

Quote from: "zozman"There's a free 20 track album of Belle and Sebastian covers here

http://www.kirstenspostcard.com/releases.htm

Cheers for that. That reading of Judy And The Dream Of Horses has made me feel like all is lovely with the world. Sounds like Nick Drake singing a Joni Mitchell song (with Neil Young on harmonica).

lazyhour

That's really freaked me out.  I'm friends with the chap who did the Judy and The Dream Of Horses cover.  I haven't spoken to him for a while, so had no idea he'd contributed to this.  alan, you'll be disappointed to learn that he's a massive Ricky Gervias fan.

You're right though, it's a very nice cover.

Cack Hen

That's an interesting album. Some of it was a bit shit, but some of it was really good. I didn't like Judy too much, but then I've never been a huge fan of that song.

Ease Your Feet Into The Sea and Sleep The Clock Around were both fantastic, though.

fanny splendid

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy's version of the Misfits Last Caress is strangely moving.