Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,780
  • Total Topics: 106,776
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:51:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Squarepusher tour in November

Started by Tom Tortoise, October 08, 2005, 04:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Tortoise

Ok, so I don't know how interested people will be about this, but Squarepusher is touring the UK (well, the link suggests he's playing London, Leeds, Norwich, Nottingham and Newcastle). I haven't seen any flyers or posters for it in Leeds as yet, but I already know of a fair few people who have tickets (myself included)

http://www.seetickets.com/see/event.asp?e%7Cartist=SQUAREPUSHER&resultsperpage=20&filler1=see

fudgemonkey

I've not heard much Squarepusher, what can you recommend?

MonkeyDrummer

Listening to him.

Get Budhakan Mindphone if it's your first venture.

boki

Yeah, Budhakan Mindphone has some fine moments foshiz

Also get 'Big Loada' and avoid the fuck out of 'Do You Know Squarepusher'.  Well, there's a couple of decent tracks on there, most notably the title track but even that's overrated.

Johnny Yesno

niat

As is Ultravisitor, Feed Me Weird Things and Hard Normal Daddy. That's most of his albums mentioned now! The live CD with Do You Know Squarepusher is great, better than the album.

Johnny Yesno

Ooh no! I don't like Ultravisitor. Too much of a wankfest for my liking. Talking of accompanying discs I don't mind the 3" that comes with it.

I saw him do a ten-minute set with that Sinfonieta bunch at Liverpool Phil last, it was stonking, but even better was Jamie Lidell, just one man a mic and a sampler layering up these vocals and beatboxing. Awesome display and it sounded damn fine too.

For SQPSHR albums it's got to be hard normal daddy, then feed me weird things then big loada. The rest contain some sublime moments: Red Hot Car, Iambic 5 Poetry, Do You Know Squarepusher but I don't think any other album is nearly as consistent as those.

The only consistently good Squarepusher album is Hard Normal Daddy. The Big Loada EP is also great – try and get the one with the Port Rhombus EP tacked on the end. The other early ones are good, with some dross. Later albums seem to have one great track (the first one) followed by some crap.

You can download tracks individually at Bleep (www.bleep.com), having listened to them first. This is far better value than buying a full album for a couple of good tracks.

I spent far too long trying to compile the definitive Squarepusher compilation. Sad as it is, I was rather proud of the result. Here's the tracklisting:

Feed Me Weird Things
1.   Squarepusher's Theme
2.   Tundra
3.   Theme From Ernest Borgnine

Port Rhombus EP
4.   Port Rhombus

Hard Normal Daddy
5.   Cooper's World
6.   Rustic Raver

Big Loada EP
7.   A Journey to Reedham
8.   Massif (Stay Strong)
9.   Come on My Selector

Music is Rotted One Note
10.   My Sound
11.   Don't Go Plastic

Budakhan Mindphone
12.   Iambic 5 Poetry

Selection 16
13.   Tomorrow World

That's all that will fit on one CD – a fair selection of the highlights 1996-99. I've ignored his pre-Weird Things material, pseudonymous releases (e.g. Chaos AD) and the largely crap Maximum Priest EP.

Volume 2 can then kick off with Red Hot Car (single mix).

fudgemonkey

Thanks. I have had Iambic and the rest of Mindphone in my ears all day.

hansen mork

He's also playing at the Birmingham Barfly the 10th Nov. It doesn't show up on most ticket sites but you can get them via the Barfly webite.

Uncle Gripper

The line up for the Glasgow gig just got bigger and fatter..Luke Vibert AND Cassetteboy will now be in attendance.  Superb.

Uncle Gripper

Went to see Squarepusher last night, in Glasgow.  On walking in we were greeted by two guys up on stage with large helmets on, with 2 small red lights on the front, looking like extras from a Dr Who episode, i think they must have been Why-Fi, fucking excellent stuff, screechy and erratic.  Then Cassetteboy came on to a thunderous reception, absolutely fantastic, well worth the wait.  They tried to get everyone to chant 'fuck off, cassetteboy' at the end, but no one really wanted them to fuck off..  Squarepusher was really good, maybe a bit too much bass twanging and not enough knob twiddling, but very very good. Extemely tight and spasmodic beats hammered the crowd for nearly 2 hours, hell he even done an encore.  Amazingly it was the first time he has ever played Glasgow, and it was a damn sight better than the gig he done in Edinbro a few years back, although the Edinbro crowds are notoriously shite.  So hopefully he'll make a return, sooner rather then later.

All in all a great gig, did anyone else catch a date on the tour?

Rubbish Monkey

There's new Squarepusher album "Hello Everything" due out 16th October. You can listen to a track on the Warp website front page!

http://www.warprecords.com/

ah crap wrong squarepusher thread (cos theres so many) oh well

TOCMFIC

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VpxmS1Zq280&search=come%20on%20my%20selector

The video for "Come On My Selector". Watch and enjoy!

I wish you could release that compilation on here Paul's Boutique. I've got one Squarepusher album, and didn't like it much. I'd like to hear his other stuff though.

Robot DeNiro

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"There's new Squarepusher album "Hello Everything" due out 16th October.
[smug] I've heard this album, and it's really good.  [/smug]

Probably shouldn't say anything about it, but if you're a fan it won't disappoint.  If you saw him live at the end of last year, you will have heard a few of the tracks.

RHX

Is it as good as the track on the warp site would have us expect?

Robot DeNiro

I like the one on the warp site, but I don't think it's the best one on the album.  Mind you, 'Hello Everything' has probably changed a bit since I last heard it.

Carlos Tevez

This feels like an enormous leap backwards, to me. It sounds like a half-arsed remix of Come On My Selector.

The album will need to have ditched these tired old breaks for it to be any good.

Lee

Quote from: "Robot DeNiro"
Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"There's new Squarepusher album "Hello Everything" due out 16th October.
[smug] I've heard this album, and it's really good.  [/smug]
You bastard.

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: "Lee"You bastard.

Took the words  right out of my mouth. Thought the track on the warp wasn't too bad.

yak

that "modern bass guitar" track sounded shit to me

though its my cuntish perception of squarepusher's dominant style spoiling it for me since its got to the state that more and more people can and do make the sort of s*****c breaks which he was so renowned for back when feed me weird things was released.

rather just listen to some chris clark (whose new album is out around the same time on warp, except you won't see half as many people spazzing on about it, though it'll be fat) or any number of damn fine electronica acts who get ignored in favour of aphex and pusher

oh well

Caught Squarepusher in Newcastle last November.  The set could be summed up quite accurately by "200 Jazz Funk Nightmares".  One of me mates called him "a beard with an idiot hanging off it."  Fucking horrible.  Level 42 with Amen breaks.

Cassetteboy were class though.

Carlos Tevez

Warp have been obsolete for a good while anyhow.

yak

I disagree sef,

I don't listen to that much warp anymore but, oh god I forgot what I was trying to say

LeboviciAB84

Quote from: "Sef"Warp have been obsolete for a good while anyhow.

[shocked silence]

"enormous leap backwards" just about sums up how I feel about that new track. I would throw lazy into the mix too.

Still have my fingers crossed for the album though.

I listened to the new track a couple of times yesterday.

From what I can gather it's a remix of Anstromm-Feck 4 from the "Do You Know Squarepusher?" album - one of 4 he's apparently done. This might be bollocks, but the beat and bass riff certainly sound familiar - I assumed it was Anstromm-Feck when I heard it live last year.

I get the impression this is something Squarepusher could knock off in his sleep. Great fun, no doubt, but surely more suitable as a bonus remix on an EP or something.

The beat in particular is completely played-out. I'm not sure which break he used (Amen?), but it certainly sounds generic.

Rubbish Monkey

Just gave the album a couple of listens, and although I am at work so im not able to give it the full attention it deserves, my first impressions are quite favourable. Then again I liked that track on the Warp site so what do I know.

Quote from: "yak"trather just listen to some chris clark (whose new album is out around the same time on warp

His website http://www.throttleclark.com/ will be having some free (well 3) tracks available to download until the album is released., which is nice.

Yeah, I've only had a few listens but it seems like that track on the Warp site was a bit of a red herring. The album as a whole sounds pretty lush and spacious, with some beautiful chords and melodies. A lot of it sounds very dramatic too.

The boy done good. I look forward to poring over the details in this record over the next few weeks.