Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:31:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Please explain this crossword answer

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 30, 2023, 09:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

It's only the Everyman but I don't understand how you arrive at the answer (apart from the definition bit).

Time for quiet: pet dog becomes talking animal (8)

Spoiler alert
Cockatoo
[close]

Barry Admin

Cockapoo is a dog breed that they have now.

BlodwynPig

madhair60

madhair60

thats because your stupid and cant do them.

Spudgun

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 30, 2023, 10:04:28 PMQuiet = p(eace)

I took it as P for Piano (as in the opposite of Forte), but whatever.

pancreas

Captain Z

Pet dog: sounds a bit like hot dog. What do hot dogs look like? A cock.

Becomes: cocks come

Talking animal: talcing animal. If you were talcing an animal it might make you sneeze. Atchoo. Atoo.

Cockatoo

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Spudgun on November 30, 2023, 10:32:54 PMI took it as P for Piano (as in the opposite of Forte), but whatever.

You're right. Piano as in quiet/soft in music notation. Nothing to do with peace.

Zero Gravitas

Cryptic crosswords are akin to being indoctrinated into a cult, they break you down with abuse and orchestrated humiliation and then at your lowest point instil a load of gibberish about suiciding yourself to the snake UFO gods.

A terrifying seduction to let go of reason.

Cerys

But that dopamine hit - there's nothing quite like it.

bomb_dog

What training courses can you go on to understand these fucking things? I mean there's one in every issue of Viz and Private Eye but I've no idea how to even start working these things out.

I DIDN'T GET THAT MEMO!

C_Larence

Quote from: madhair60 on November 30, 2023, 10:20:29 PMthats because your stupid and cant do them.

A loud sound reversed the disgraced comedian, perhaps it came from between the TV. 4,3

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Spudgun on November 30, 2023, 10:32:54 PMI took it as P for Piano (as in the opposite of Forte), but whatever.

That is a better one.

FeederFan500

The Private Eye one has some common clues as it's the same setter.

Sex is "it"
Balls is "ed"
Member is "MP"
Brenda is "er"
Sunak is "pm"

Old flame and sex? Balls taken off (6)

Is then

Ex (and) it? Ed | Exited

The worst cryptic I've seen is in The Cricketer where half the clue is a wikipedia entry and the other half a cryptic clue.

eg Warwickshire and England opener from the late 90s and later Sky presenter is a cut chess piece. (4,6)

Pranet

Quote from: FeederFan500 on December 01, 2023, 07:33:58 AMeg Warwickshire and England opener from the late 90s and later Sky presenter is a cut chess piece. (4,6)

I dunno, they have one like that sometimes in the back of the Unison magazine and I quite it, as someone who never learned how to do cryptic crosswords, feels like a gentle introduction to them should I ever want to waste the rest of my life and get into them properly.

shoulders

Quote from: FeederFan500 on December 01, 2023, 07:33:58 AMThe worst cryptic I've seen is in The Cricketer where half the clue is a wikipedia entry and the other half a cryptic clue.

eg Warwickshire and England opener from the late 90s and later Sky presenter is a cut chess piece. (4,6)

Hurray, I got it. Can more cryptic crossword clues be simple trivia please

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: FeederFan500 on December 01, 2023, 07:33:58 AMeg Warwickshire and England opener from the late 90s and later Sky presenter is a cut chess piece. (4,6)

Asla Shking

Alberon

Most crossword clues just end up reminding me of this

Dr Rock

Quote from: bomb_dog on December 01, 2023, 06:24:12 AMWhat training courses can you go on to understand these fucking things? I mean there's one in every issue of Viz and Private Eye but I've no idea how to even start working these things out.

There's hundreds of books explaining the codes. A friend taught me.

BlodwynPig

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Alberon on December 01, 2023, 08:14:38 AMMost crossword clues just end up reminding me of this

Same - as an aside -

I have a project I will never complete (as I have not started it) to compile all of the clues and answers from the show.

Also - as a child I could never understand why someone would rather win some crockery or garden furniture or even a car instead of their own amazing robot that would be their friend.

Pretty sure it was constantly explained that you only got the ceramic representation as the prize. Not a surprise I can't do cryptic crossword clues is it?

dontpaintyourteeth

touchingcloth

Quote from: FeederFan500 on December 01, 2023, 07:33:58 AMThe Private Eye one has some common clues as it's the same setter.

Sex is "it"
Balls is "ed"
Member is "MP"
Brenda is "er"
Sunak is "pm"

That's the worst thing about cryptic crosswords, I think - the bit where you need to get into a particular setter's head to understand what a given clue means. Or where you need to know the memes like how instead of writing "the clue contains an anagram" it will say "confuses" or whatever - it's a bit like leaving CaB and expecting anyone else to know that Cunt of Death means the queen and that S4C isn't a channel.

"Time for quiet" to mean "there's a partial solution in the cryptic portion, and you'll need to swap a t for a p to get the solution" with a dogshit* way of getting to the p" is why I dislike them, because I suspect that same "quiet = p" has been used a million times before, like every time you see "silver" in a clue the odds are the solution contains "ag", or any time you "landlord" you can be sure it contains "al".

My grandad was a big cryptic crossword fanatic and did the Times one every day without fail, and is probably still doing them in Hellenistic sound and display components fucking hell. I was always quite keen to get into them myself as a puzzle fan, but I got disappointed when I realised that the "cryptic" element referred more to meme-y ways to rewrite traditional clues than it did to lateral thinking. I think what I had in mind before then was more along the lines of the sorts of questions they have in Only Connect.

*Cockapoo

Dex Sawash