Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:56:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Waffles

Started by The F Bomb, February 03, 2024, 09:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The F Bomb

I had two chocolate waffles last night and appear to have put on three pounds today - after a crap. I shall be steering well clear of waffles from this point onwards.

TrenterPercenter

The F Bomb

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on February 04, 2024, 10:50:53 AMGrave yerself kid

They were half dipped in Belgian choc. I'm well on my way to the morgue.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 03, 2024, 10:57:33 PMAnyone got one of the machines for making them?

Waffle iron does a very good grilled cheee sandwich. I ruined one waffle maker trying to perfect jalapeño cheddar grits waffle. Usually ended up with two half waffles stuck to the 2 parts but tasted great topped with my Texziki (sour cream with chopped red onion and cumin)

Wife insisted we buy a mini waffle machine at Lidl that was  on clearance, makes a single 2.5" waffle which is pretty stupid.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 03, 2024, 10:57:33 PMAnyone got one of the machines for making them?

Yes. Haven't used it in years of course. Might have to dust it off now...

ZoyzaSorris

Yes, and making the batter is very similar to making pancakes - ie easy. They turn out really nice I think. I original bought it for making chaffles (made frome eggs and cheese) when I was better at keeping my carbs down which were also nice (savoury obvs) but more of a faff and I haven't bothered for a while.

Blue Jam

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on February 04, 2024, 05:08:37 PMchaffles (made frome eggs and cheese)

WHAT

OMG chaffles sound amazing, may have to dust off my waffle maker and use it as a chaffle maker.

dissolute ocelot

I saw people back on page one mocking the versatility of potato waffles. Aside from the infinite possibilities of having them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or the meals in between, maybe you haven't seen the recipes on the Birds Eye website. They start with a waffle pizza (top with pizza sauce and cheese, bake), and mull over chilli and "breakfast beans", before the ultimate: Cottage Pie Potato Waffles

QuoteFor your Cottage Pie topping,
- Heat the oil and fry your onion and carrot until soft.
- Chuck in your beef mince and brown.
- Add your garlic, tomato puree, cook briefly, then add red wine and beef stock.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes over low heat.
- Add worcestershire sauce and peas.
- Stir to heat through and combine.
- Cover your cooked potato waffles with the cottage pie mix, top with cheddar cheese and bake until melted and delicious. Dig in!
Bet you never thought you could combine potato waffles with red wine!*

*Seriously though you probably want champagne or failing that a crisp Sauv Blanc with potato waffles.

The F Bomb

Seem to remember claims that they're waffley versatile.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 04, 2024, 05:24:05 PMWHAT

OMG chaffles sound amazing, may have to dust off my waffle maker and use it as a chaffle maker.

Yes they're really good! Just a bit of a pain trying to stop them sticking.

Dex Sawash

That's the problem with grittles too

Sebastian Cobb

Wonder if you could put mash in one

Dex Sawash

the trick is always getting whatever back out

Sebastian Cobb

Blue Jam

Just made some savoury waffles with spinach, which I think makes them, er, spaffles. Used that Orgran egg replacer which is potato-based and has made them a bit fluffy. Chalking this one up as a success.

Gonna try mushroom waffles next. Muffles? Maybe I'll just try waffling a fuckload of Orgran and see if I get an approximation of Birdseye potato waffles.

shiftwork2

They say waffles are versatile.  Maureen Lipman is also famously versatile.  Ergo Maureen is a waffle.

Utter Shit

To be fair they only say they're waffle versatile, which presumably means they can do all the things waffles can do. Which should be obvious really.

Blinder Data

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on February 04, 2024, 05:08:37 PMchaffles (made frome eggs and cheese)

wait a minute - that's just a cheese omelette! in the shape of a waffle!

popcorn

Birdseye potato wa-ffles 🎵
they're waffly versatile
they go with beans.

the hum

Dutch stroopwafels are phenomenal, although not straight out of the packet. The ritual is to place one on top of a hot cup of tea for a minute until it softens, but not too long that it falls apart. Then dig in and savour its yielding deliciousness.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Blinder Data on February 09, 2024, 02:59:24 PMwait a minute - that's just a cheese omelette! in the shape of a waffle!

You are aware you can make different things using the same ingredients, right?

Chaffles are mostly cheese with a bit of egg rather than the other way round for a start. And the intense heat of the waffle iron makes it crispy.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: the hum on February 09, 2024, 04:40:26 PMDutch stroopwafels are phenomenal, although not straight out of the packet. The ritual is to place one on top of a hot cup of tea for a minute until it softens, but not too long that it falls apart. Then dig in and savour its yielding deliciousness.

About 15 seconds is the longest I've waited.

The F Bomb

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on February 09, 2024, 11:52:53 PMYou are aware you can make different things using the same ingredients, right?

Chaffles are mostly cheese with a bit of egg rather than the other way round for a start. And the intense heat of the waffle iron makes it crispy.

That's a Lattice McCroque mit oeuf.

Blue Jam

Do you put flour in your omelettes then? DO YOU?

Look, chaffles and spaffles have happened, the genie ain't going back in the bottle.

Blue Jam

Made more spaffles this morning, this time with 50% wholemeal rye flour which made them better. Lahverly with some mushrooms and bacon.

Gonna do some sweet waffles with strawberries next. Straffles. Gonna waffle the world before I get bored again and put the waffle maker away for another five years.

Dex Sawash

Got out waffle contraption but CBA and back on sofa now

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 10, 2024, 12:05:53 PMMade more spaffles this morning, this time with 50% wholemeal rye flour which made them better. Lahverly with some mushrooms and bacon.

Gonna do some sweet waffles with strawberries next. Straffles. Gonna waffle the world before I get bored again and put the waffle maker away for another five years.

Blue Jam

Thank you for posting that :) Had that in mind and am well aware the same thing is happening to me.

Don't you just love my hair?

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 10, 2024, 12:21:52 PMThank you for posting that :) Had that in mind and am well aware the same thing is happening to me.

Don't you just love my hair?

It seemed too similar a sentiment to be an accident!

"Chuck your boyfriend, have a waffle"

Spoiler alert
Not relevant to waffles, but the next thing on youtube was an alternate ending which I'd never seen before, even as a rabid Spaced fan. Included here in case of interest to anyone else - it's not as good as the ending they went with, but still a nice little scene.

Probably unique in Spaced lore as being the only scene in a recognizable "famous" bit of actual London.
[close]

Blue Jam

Straffles then: Flour, oat milk, Orgran fake egg powder, vanilla essence, Candarel fake sugar, into the waffle maker, out again, light dusting of proper sugar, fresh strawberries. Wanted some kind of healthy cream alternative, thought fromage frais would be the right texture, what you got for me Tesco's... Munch Bunch? Fuckit that'll do. Considerably more that 28 years old I was... Worked a treat anyway.

Might do spaffles with ricotta and walnuts next. Then dill waffles (diffles) with salmon and a side of wasabi creme fraiche. There is nothing that can't be improved with waffles. Waffles are the new potatoes, and potato waffles are the logical conclusion.

Quote from: Ferris on February 10, 2024, 12:47:49 PM
Spoiler alert
Not relevant to waffles, but the next thing on youtube was an alternate ending which I'd never seen before, even as a rabid Spaced fan. Included here in case of interest to anyone else - it's not as good as the ending they went with, but still a nice little scene.

Probably unique in Spaced lore as being the only scene in a recognizable "famous" bit of actual London.
[close]

Spoiler alert
^^^ I had seen that alternate ending before, think it's on the DVD. I always loved the exchange "Am I still gonna be wearing plastic jewellery when I'm 40?"; "I hope so". Can relate.
[close]