Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:54:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's for dinner? (Again)

Started by Ronnie the Raincoat, May 09, 2010, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marvin

Quote from: Jemble Fred on May 10, 2010, 11:47:25 AM
No need, nonceface, quorn is better.

This is the most wrong thing you have ever said.

Jemble Fred

Well I was going to go with something stronger than 'nonceface', but I just wasn't in the mood to escalate the exchange of abuse, it's a busy day.

The Widow of Brid

Quote from: Jemble Fred on May 10, 2010, 11:43:50 AM
If only tofu was like eggs! It's too weak and spongy in my experience, a very different consistency. Plus there's just that tofu *taste*...

Odd, I'd always describe fried tofu as being not terribly distinguishable from an egg white heavy omelette. Quorn tastes a bit marmitey to my palate and I don't much like the texture.

Um, also some swearing.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: The Widow of Brid on May 10, 2010, 01:28:07 PM
I don't much like the texture.

Well it's all in the mouth of the beholder maybe, but I roasted a dozen quorn fillets yesterday and there's absolutely no way of distinguishing them from chicken, texture-wise. In looks and feel, they are identical.

Piss ankles.

Marvin

Quote from: Jemble Fred on May 10, 2010, 01:32:10 PM
Well it's all in the mouth of the beholder maybe, but I roasted a dozen quorn fillets yesterday and there's absolutely no way of distinguishing them from chicken, texture-wise. In looks and feel, they are identical.

If you've been eating some really fucking shit chicken perhaps. Different bits of a chicken don't even have the same texture as each other. The only thing that quorn approximates is those horrible reconstituted, water-filled chicken 'fillets' made from the worst battery hens.

I mean sometimes that's actually what you want to eat, when you crave something cheap and nasty like chicken nuggets or whatever, quorn would fit the bill just fine, but otherwise.

Whug Baspin

Balls, chicken Balls. Last night I took the bones out of a chicken, flattened it with a rolling pin and cut it into 4 pieces, then floured, egged, breadcrumbed and then deep fried it, sliced up and ate it with spicy noodle and prawn soup.  nomnomnom

Toad in the Hole

Quote from: Jemble Fred on May 10, 2010, 10:09:00 AM
I think we're talking about Sarsons on Mother's Pride here though.

I used to do the same when I was a kid, salt pepper and vinegar on bread.

I'd like to talk about my latest quorn discovery but mention of the heavenly fungal substance just leads to holy war on this forum...

Definitely talking about the malt vinegar and white sliced.  Jamie Oliver only invented balsamic vinegar in about 2000, didn't he?

Ginyard

Quote from: Toad in the Hole on May 10, 2010, 02:33:58 PM
Definitely talking about the malt vinegar and white sliced.  Jamie Oliver only invented balsamic vinegar in about 2000, didn't he?

I remember a mate convincing another mate that the name 'Gary Lineker'was rhyming slang for balsamic vinegar. It doesn't even rhyme!

falafel

The firmer tofu is awesome in a proper Laksa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laksa

because its bubbly porous nature soaks up the delicious coconutty spicey broth and dispenses it in your mouth in a big splurgey spongey squish - with the bonus that the flavour of the tofu is fundamentally, transformatively altered by the sauce and rendered quite delicious, and the texture is actually quite appropriate, like a firm omelette. And then you have a cockle or two, slurp up some noodles, and drink the rest of the soup. It's like three meals in one and it's great and it's not the same without tofu. So there.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: falafel on May 10, 2010, 03:04:47 PM
bubbly porous squishy soup splosh stuff

That's what I'm talking about, brother. Have you got a good recipe? I made something similar last week with the leftover 'soup' from a Sichuan 'shui zhu yu' (water boiled fish):

I can only drink oil once a week, though, no matter how tasty it is.

Ronnie the Raincoat

I have a real craving for a veggie burger.  Not a McDonalds type one, but those ones filled with peas and potatoes and shit.  Are they called vegetable burgers or do they have a fancier/wankier name?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Ronnie the Raincoat on May 10, 2010, 03:23:31 PM
I have a real craving for a veggie burger.  Not a McDonalds type one, but those ones filled with peas and potatoes and shit.  Are they called vegetable burgers or do they have a fancier/wankier name?

Une burgue aux legumes.

mook

hummingofevil

What the fuck is the deal with politician's ordering pizza? I have heard this a dozen times in last few days like it is some working-class solidarity gesture. Fucking ponces.

Gwacamole?

mook

Milo

BUMP! I know I shouldn't, but there's no harm really.

I am continuing my trend of cooking something proper every week. I just cooked these fuckers:

Steak and ale pies. Bloody delicious. Rump steak which I got cheap from the butcher at the end of yesterday and Brains Dark ale. Cooked the filling last night and left it to settle in the fridge overnight to mingle together. Mmmmm. What did you have?

TIAL

Just about to make some Toad In The Hole, but wondering whether to do it all in one big tin or bite sized individual puds with sausage halves in each one.

Slaaaaabs

SetToStun

Quote from: Milo on July 24, 2010, 05:31:35 PM
BUMP! I know I shouldn't, but there's no harm really.

I am continuing my trend of cooking something proper every week. I just cooked these fuckers:

Steak and ale pies. Bloody delicious. Rump steak which I got cheap from the butcher at the end of yesterday and Brains Dark ale. Cooked the filling last night and left it to settle in the fridge overnight to mingle together. Mmmmm. What did you have?

I just ruined a perfectly good silk tie by drooling all over it you bastard. Fortunately my girlfriend makes a totally wicked steak and Guinness pie; now I just have to convince her that summer is the ideal time of year for her to cook one.

Milo

Quote from: SetToStun on July 26, 2010, 09:18:20 AM
I just ruined a perfectly good silk tie by drooling all over it you bastard. Fortunately my girlfriend makes a totally wicked steak and Guinness pie; now I just have to convince her that summer is the ideal time of year for her to cook one.

Oh, it's always time for pies. I can't see any particular need to wait for winter.

CaledonianGonzo

Venison stew, with juniper berries and rosemary.

And it's still got two hours on the stove before it'll be ready :-(

the midnight watch baboon

chorizo and bacon and onion tarte PIE