Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:58:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Travellin' Light

Started by Serge, July 24, 2010, 11:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

I'm currently up in Derby, where I'm staying for six days visiting my family. When I was leaving work to go to the train station last night, a colleague saw that my luggage consisted of my normal everyday bag (roughly 12" record size) and a Soft Pack cloth bag, and she couldn't believe that I had managed to fit in everything I would need for six days into two small(ish) bags, claiming that she'd need at least a suitcase for that length of time. Into those bags, I've fitted six days change of clothes (6 t-shirts, 6 pairs of boxers, 6 pairs of socks - the jeans I'm wearing will do for that length of time), a book, two magazines and  my Ipod and its charger. Seeing as I'm staying at my parents house, with all the comforts that that implies, that's all I realistically need. But it did make me think of the scene in 'Still Game' where Jack and Victor are going away overnight, and Jack fills his oversized suitcase with such unnecessary items as a pair of gardening gloves and a packet of cheese.

So, do you manage to fit everything into one small bag like Dr Richard Kimble, or do you have to take a fleet of lorries wherever you go?

djtrees

I went to Berlin for the weekend with just the clothes I was wearing and a toothbrush. I only really left my house for about 36 hours though so I thought anything else might be overkill. I am usually pretty good at packing my shit small, although being a fat get my clothes take up more room than skinny types, which I don't think is fair.

rudi

Gotta travel light, it gives you more flexibility. Oddly enough I tend to pack more if I'm visiting close relatives as I know I'll be able to hang shit up and spread stuff out.

babyshambler

I travel at the speed of light.

An tSaoi

My method for holliers packing (apart from what I'm wearing) is thus;

Number of undies = number of days + 1 (just in case)
Number of socks = 2x number of days (you walk twice as much on holidays as you do at home)
Number of T-shirts = 0.5x number of days
Number of long sleeved T-shirts = 0.5x number of days
1 proper shirt, 1 other pair of jeans, and 1 pair of shoes (in case I end up going to a restaurant)

1 jacket, which I'll be wearing

Toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, shaving cream, and Bob's your uncle.

Zero Gravitas

Your holiday planning disgusts me.

Serge

Quote from: An tSaoi on July 24, 2010, 04:20:15 PMToothbrush, toothpaste, razor, shaving cream, and Bob's your uncle.

Oh yeah, and I put my toothbrush, toothpaste and anti-perspirant in my bags too. Obviously, I don't need a razor, and my parents have soap/shampoo/towels, so no need to pack them.

I don't own a pair of shoes. Restaurants will have to take me as they find me.

23 Daves

Depends, but I always try to pack minimally.  If it's a business trip, I'll just take changes of underwear and socks and a few plain white shirts, and wear the suit on the way to the meetings/ conference.  This is more commonly known as the "Jimmy Saville technique" - "Never pack more than you really need," emphasised the Yorkshireman to Louis Theroux, with a brow furrowed with sincerity. "Have a shower and hang your shirts up while you're doing it, they'll be all fresh and clean".  Works a treat.

Holidays are tougher, and that's when my suitcase starts to overflow as I pack tons of changes of clothes and walking boots and formal shoes.  That's when I start shouting at myself angrily and hurling things about the place. 

Dance Colin, dance!

I love the idea of travelling light, but these days it's me and three kids, so travelling light's not really an option.

Funnily enough, I've been thinking about this recently, since, next week, I am visiting my new boyfriend for the first time. Now, we're staying for a few days, but the amount of bumf I'm going to need for me and three kids for that time is going to look ridiculous, and potentially a bit scary.

So, how to pack carefully/light? I am thinking about hiding it all in the back of the car!

HappyTree

I loved the feeling of freedom travelling really, really light when I had stuff at my parents' house, so could travel back there from France with virtually no luggage at all. Now I usually have to take a suitcase plus a guitar case everywhere.

Once when I was coming back to France from Scotland I needed the suitcase but didn't need to put anything in it. So I filled it with old clothes and plastic bags for the flight, then as soon as I got to the other end I tipped everything in the suitcase into a nearby bin.

edit: Never, ever, ever in my entire life have I ever considered that I might need a "pair of shoes" to go to a restaurant. Wow. And up until now the concept didn't exist in my mind.

Mary is not amused

You must be hopping mad.

Ginyard

Quote from: Dance Colin, dance! on July 24, 2010, 07:53:25 PM
So, how to pack carefully/light? I am thinking about hiding it all in the back of the car!

The kids included? Good plan!

On a serious note, best of luck, and I mean that. Travelling light with two kids has so far proved impossible. Planning for three should only be a test for Krypton Factor contestants.

the midnight watch baboon

Dance Colin, dance!

Quote from: Ginyard on July 24, 2010, 08:13:23 PM
The kids included? Good plan!

Ha! Thank you Ginyard; I hadn't thought of that: now if I can just get the little buggers to stay quiet....

Quote from: Ginyard on July 24, 2010, 08:13:23 PMOn a serious note, best of luck, and I mean that. Travelling light with two kids has so far proved impossible. Planning for three should only be a test for Krypton Factor contestants.

Yeah, it's pretty hardcore. I've done it a few times with all three of them, but never to a boyfriend's..... Aware of the 'freaking out' factor if we turn up for a four day trip looking like we're moving in!!

Cerys

Quote from: An tSaoi on July 24, 2010, 04:20:15 PM
Number of T-shirts = 0.5x number of days
Number of long sleeved T-shirts = 0.5x number of days

What happens if you go for an odd number of days?

23 Daves

Hint/ tip:  In a lot of American and Canadian hotels, there's actually a washing machine in your room - so do check this before you leave.  Don't take a massive suitcase filled with clothes for a fortnight's stay only to find out there's a fucking washing machine with tumble dry facility in your damn room, and you could actually have packed very little.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm very good at travelling light, though mainly due to forgetting important items.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Cerys on July 26, 2010, 12:54:19 PM
What happens if you go for an odd number of days?

I end up resembling a court jester.