Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:34:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What in the blue frig has happened to Google images?

Started by An tSaoi, July 29, 2010, 12:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An tSaoi

Am I the only one for whom it's gone all different and wrong?

DJ Solid Snail

No. I am similarly displeased. I like that you get more images on a page by them cramming them all together like that, but you can't see the image sizes unless you either click on them, or change the option on the bottom left - but then you have to do that every single time. There isn't even an option to change it in your 'search settings.' It's rubbish. They've made a huge mistake.

An tSaoi

Try actually clicking on an image. Rather than having the thumbnail in the little frame at the top, and the regular page below (with the image in its original context or whatever it used to say), they've stuck the image right over the page, and the information frame at the right. Absolute madness.

alan nagsworth

Why the fuck do people have to insist on changing things that worked perfectly well as they were? Jesus, that's just nasty.

Small Man Big Horse

Big Jack McBastard

biniput

It's so fucking stupid and unusable. With the information underneath you can have a good idea on the links further use, like a blog over an advert. With this such data takes ages to garner. Yet another example of assuming what people want. Should be a function to reverse this.

chand

If you scroll down to the bottom when you've done a search there's a 'switch to basic version' option.

DJ Solid Snail

Quote from: chand on July 29, 2010, 01:12:47 AM
If you scroll down to the bottom when you've done a search there's a 'switch to basic version' option.

Ahhhhh...

Nice one, you.

biggytitbo

Ripped of bing again. I'm not sure what Google are playing at, but they keep changing their search engine so it looks more like an inferior rival.  Weird.

Cerys

DocDaneeka

I use http://elzr.com/imagery when I want to do some proper image searching, it's the same results as google but in a fancier package. It does need Firefox to work though.

biggytitbo

Quote from: DocDaneeka on July 29, 2010, 12:36:52 PM
I use http://elzr.com/imagery when I want to do some proper image searching, it's the same results as google but in a fancier package. It does need Firefox to work though.
Looks cack to me!

http://www.tineye.com/ is an interesting twist on image searches, you feed it an image and it does a reverse search and finds where that image is on the web. Clever!(when it works)

Lfbarfe

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 29, 2010, 10:12:23 AM
Ripped of bing again. I'm not sure what Google are playing at, but they keep changing their search engine so it looks more like an inferior rival.  Weird.

Not having used Bing, I didn't realise that was the influence. Has anyone used Bing? If not, why are Google bothering to emulate it?

Gradual Decline

Bing maps I enjoy immensely, the bird's eye view function is great. The rest of Bing ain't too shabby. I suspect Google is just having a spruce up, rather than reworking functionality.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Gradual Decline on July 29, 2010, 01:07:25 PM
Bing maps I enjoy immensely, the bird's eye view function is great. The rest of Bing ain't too shabby. I suspect Google is just having a spruce up, rather than reworking functionality.
It copied Bings left hand nav/filter bar, its big image background on the homepage and now its image search, when what they had previously was actually better.

Mildly Diverting

And now Gmail's gone down, at least for me. Not best pleased with those Google people at the moment.

alan nagsworth

This really is cack. I wouldn't mind the option to switch back to the classic version, if it weren't for the fact that it resets that option every time you close the tab or search in another one. Absolute garbage. And how many fucking pages insist on loading on one page? My browser and my eyes are literally being shafted by some fucking wack new kids on the block bullshit right here.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: An tSaoiWhat in the blue frig has happened to Google images?

Google images isn't part of CaB, you know.

Serge

For some reason I still have the old version. Not that I'm complaining...

vrailaine

never mind that, what's happened all the text sizes here? Some are gone huge, then when I scale them down, the smaller ones seem much smaller than they used to.

gmoney

Have you been drinking from bottles marked "DRINK ME" and cakes marked "EAT ME"?

Neville Chamberlain