Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:11:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

is there aliens yes or no

Started by kittens, July 16, 2019, 04:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

is there aliens yes or no

yes
26 (56.5%)
no
13 (28.3%)
Raoul Moat
16 (34.8%)
Yes it's part of the box set dear
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

NoSleep

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 20, 2019, 10:21:16 AM
conditions right where? here on earth? then multiple lines did start out, & on multiple occasions. countless species of dinosaurs & who knows what else before some sort of extinction event that left only ferns & a few of the hardiest creatures. then us, busy creating our own extinction event whilst wiping out thousands of our co-species.

or elsewhere? there are some basic chemical requirements before life (as we understand it) can get going on a planet, & as well as the goldilocks band around a potentially useful star, there's also the business of a protective magnetosphere, unless we're talking about life-forms that are a good deal more tolerant of various forms of radiation than typical earth dwellers.

I think the whole 'what are the chances?' bit is redundant in the face of trying to grasp 'infinity' as a concept... in an infinite universe, there would be an infinite number of exact replicas of this planet. if there aren't, then how many are there? & how does that affect one's definition of 'infinite'?

but until I meet one in sainos, looking for corn-on-the-cob, it's tosh.

I think the point about "chances" is that all life currently on earth is related; we all trace back to a single common ancestor. Through the extinctions (of individual species) there were survivors but it's all one strand of life.

Ferris

Quote from: NoSleep on July 21, 2019, 08:31:00 AM
I think the point about "chances" is that all life currently on earth is related; we all trace back to a single common ancestor. Through the extinctions (of individual species) there were survivors but it's all one strand of life.

Exactly this