Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:33:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Political podcasts [split topic]

Started by idunnosomename, March 01, 2024, 12:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Church's equating of Baddiel with Farage as a "common opinion-monger" is a bit off. Farage is a canny self-publicist who knows he's playing an act that wealthy people will fund to further their conservative aims.

Baddiel genuinely thinks hes incredibly clever and hilarious and everybody simply is in awe of all of his insights, be they into racism, sexism, or the non-existence of God.

Ferris

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 11, 2024, 12:27:15 PMChurch's equating of Baddiel with Farage as a "common opinion-monger" is a bit off. Farage is a canny self-publicist who knows he's playing an act that wealthy people will fund to further their conservative aims.

Her calling out that abject cunt Nick Robinson, and everything else she said, was brilliant though.

idunnosomename

Not criticising her at all, he'll be furious about being compared to Farage. Probably more than if she just called him a div.

selectivememory

bgmnts

Yeah Church is genuinely.

Edit - great.

Video Game Fan 2000

during his first meeting as a full member of the dunning-kroger society, david baddiel is already telling other members the whole thing is based on his idea

BlodwynPig

Starmer, Reeves, Streeting - ruling by podcast, coming this November.

PlanktonSideburns

Ed Balls and Cat Bin Lady in

Thats Why Pencils Have Erasers Pod

Coming to Acast in feb

wrec

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on March 11, 2024, 01:26:22 PMduring his first meeting as a full member of the dunning-kroger society, david baddiel is already telling other members the whole thing is based on his idea

Surely it's only a matter of time before he casually mentions the bell curve or says bisexuals are greedy, and the people who've put him in this position must expect and want that.

privatefriend

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 11, 2024, 11:27:28 AMPossibly should be a separate thread on terrible celebrity podcasts that monopolise the market to push out amateurs, but get a load of THIS

Wonder if there is a way to get this printed inside my toilet bowl.

idunnosomename

Quote from: wrec on March 11, 2024, 03:51:58 PMSurely it's only a matter of time before he casually mentions the bell curve or says bisexuals are greedy, and the people who've put him in this position must expect and want that.
again, this is what I suspect has happened with "The Male Gaze"

Kankurette

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 11, 2024, 11:27:28 AMPossibly should be a separate thread on terrible celebrity podcasts that monopolise the market to push out amateurs, but get a load of THIS

Jesus wept.
Oh, so THAT'S what it is. I keep seeing it on Sky News when I go the gym. Just the name is enough.

idunnosomename

yeah the name strikes me as weird. but hey you've had Campbell and Stewart, Balls and Osbourne, get ready for a centre tory and a centre labour with a centre stenographer. but get this boys: they're ladies! let's gooooooo

FeederFan500

Next up is Benn and Perry's Pot of News - a podcast that is mostly bland vanilla opinions and easy to swallow but is inexplicably popular as it has the occasional tasty bit of sweet gossip dotted amongst it.

There can only be so many well-known figures left near the centre of each party so we must be approaching saturation point.

Ferris

Oh it's a knob gag! And they're looking at it all "cuh! Knobs eh? Ruddy bloody men!! And their knobs (that sometimes don't work)!"

Is that the setup?

Took a while for me to notice it, but "erectile" and "electoral" are not even close to being homophones in my defence.

Ray Travez

'Electoral' is probably closer to 'clitoral' in homophone terms

wrec

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 11, 2024, 04:56:54 PMagain, this is what I suspect has happened with "The Male Gaze"

Has he mentioned it recently? I wonder if he's abandoned the idea as it wasn't applauded as much as usual, and drew some criticism from women with their beauty and brains.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: wrec on March 11, 2024, 11:45:38 PMHas he mentioned it recently? I wonder if he's abandoned the idea as it wasn't applauded as much as usual, and drew some criticism from women with their beauty and brains.
The last book had only just come out when he started talking about that. Assuming October 7th hasn't impacted his plans for what to publish next it'd be at least another year before he'd have a 70 page book on that out.

Art Bear

Quote from: FeederFan500 on March 11, 2024, 10:00:22 PMNext up is Benn and Perry's Pot of News

Hoping this is Nigel Benn and Katy Perry.

lipsink

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 10, 2024, 10:47:04 AMHe's trying to put the toothpaste is so gloriously stamped out into Jeremy Corbyn's face back in the tube here

Problem is his side is now people who are openly "hey ask me to chose between a Israeli baby taken hostage and dozens of Palestinian babies then DUH ITS THE ISRAELI ONE BECAUSE THE OTHERS ARE KKKHAMAS" and David is sad because his solidarity was just meant to be between him and other people who are on British television, not the military of an ethnostate bent on genocide.

Could be worse though, at least he hasnt produced a second series of Baddiel's Syndrome.

Coming soon: JEWS DON'T COUNT, EXCEPT THEY LARGELY DO IN MOST RESPECTS AND WHEN I SAY SO SORRY I SHOULD HAVE CLARIFIED THAT BEFORE

Video Game Fan 2000

Rankersbo

I had JDC on my wishlist for aages, and took it off, but I ended up having it bought for me anyway (at over the odds for a second hand copy). I have got several pages in and he's being disingenuous about the treatment of Seyi Omooba.

What happened was that she made some homophobic comments on twitter, after being cast in the lead in a version of the Colour Purple where her character was explicitly lesbian. She was not summarily sacked, she was given the opportunity to discuss the matter. It emerged she was not happy with playing the character as the director wished and was planning to play it more like the film. This was incompatible with the aims of the production so they recast and let her go on full pay. She was properly compensated for losing the role. Plenty of productions have dropped actors where it wasn't working artistically and this was one of those situations. It just happens her homophobia was preventing it working artistically.

Now I may get to the end and he admits that he has glossed over some details to make a point, and that he was doing that because it gets done over antisemitism...

I think he has some good points about antisemitism - the story was part of a larger point about Alice Walker's antisemitism being tolerated - but seems to be saying that part of the problem is we take other forms of bigotry too seriously.

bgmnts

Hating gay people and then deciding to get into showbusiness seems absolutely fucking mental.

Rankersbo

Quote from: bgmnts on March 12, 2024, 10:21:37 AMHating gay people and then deciding to get into showbusiness seems absolutely fucking mental.

I think there may be a "hate the sin, tolerate the sinner" thing going on. I think I missed that this excerpt from JDC was covered by one of the more sensible and in-depth commentators on the case. In which case I think it might not be Baddiel glossing over the facts as much as not having properly read up on them, and I'm getting irritated with the benefit of hindsight and analysis that was not available to DB at the time of writing.

phantom_power

Jesus wept.

Why would anyone think THAT picture would make people want to listen to the podcast?