Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:27:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

I was in Madeira recently, and from Funchal could see a land mass in the distance which I assumed was the far less populous Porto Santo, but was in fact the uninhabited[nb]Except for research bases.[/nb] Desertas Islands, where "the only wildlife consists of about sixteen species of birds, including eight species of seabirds, and a scarce population of feral goats, rabbits, and rodents, brought from Portugal by the mariners who first reached the rocky shores".

By fuck I would love to meet those goats. And - yes - to fuck them.

touchingcloth

NoSleep

KennyMonster

dissolute ocelot

Andy "Thunderclap" Newman, best known for 1969 number one hit "Something In The Air", became an electrician and did the wiring and lighting for Vivienne Westwood's stores in the 80s, including World's End (which I believe is still there) and the shorter-lived Nostalgia of Mud.

TrenterPercenter

High heels were originally for men; originally for horse riding and latterly for rich people to quite literally lord it over other people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-heeled_shoe#Pre-1700s

JamesTC

Paul Calf

The double-slit experiment , a body of work that blows my mind afresh every time I read or think about it, was first performed not in 1974, but in 1801.

TrenterPercenter

Edwin Hubble namesake of the Hubble Telescope that discovered the universe (outside the Milky Way) and red shift  was also a professional basketball player who played for University of Chicago (The UC Maroons) that won what was at the time the equivalent to the NBA (it was called the national championship back in 1909).

Here is his basketball which was taken to the Hubble Telescope servicing mission in 2009

MojoJojo

St Bernard's were originally called Barry Hounds. We should definitely bring that back.

KennyMonster

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 11, 2021, 10:36:47 AM
St Bernard's were originally called Barry Hounds. We should definitely bring that back.

And I was listening to a new podcast the other day, apparently the barrel they carry around their necks doesn't have brandy inside, it has lube.

Steven88

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 11, 2021, 10:36:47 AM

MojoJojo

Quote from: KennyMonster on November 11, 2021, 11:34:31 AM
And I was listening to a new podcast the other day, apparently the barrel they carry around their necks doesn't have brandy inside, it has lube.

Hah, I listened to that this morning.

Paul Calf

The random visual noise you (used to) see on an untuned TV connected to an analogue signal source is known in German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Danish and Swedish as 'war of the ants'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_(video)

Pseudopath

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 16, 2021, 02:48:06 AM
The random visual noise you (used to) see on an untuned TV connected to an analogue signal source is known in German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Danish and Swedish as 'war of the ants'.

Interesting side note: About 1% of that static is background microwave radiation originating from the Big Bang.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Pseudopath on November 16, 2021, 08:37:16 AM
Interesting side note: About 1% of that static is background microwave radiation originating from the Big Bang.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 16, 2021, 02:48:06 AM

One evening, about thirty years ago while living in Canterbury, I saw the 'war of the ants' resolve itself into fuzzy but very hardcore grot. If you half-closed your eyes, you could see it going in.

I presume it was coming from France.

Norton Canes

Berk: probably short for Berkeley (or Berkshire) hunt, rhyming slang for cunt

Er you probably all knew that though

Steven88

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 17, 2021, 05:04:52 PM
Berk: probably short for Berkeley (or Berkshire) hunt, rhyming slang for cunt

Er you probably all knew that though
That's why they use "nerk" on Porridge.

Twit 2

George White

Quote from: jamiefairlie on July 04, 2021, 10:07:38 PM
On the subject of UK animation of the 70s, Joy Division/New Order's Bernard Sumner was an artist on Cosgrove Hall's pre-Danger Mouse epic Jamie and The Magic Torch.
Roger Moore worked as an animator for NIPP/Publicity Pictures who later made Space Patrol and Torchy the Battery Boy.

George White

Quote from: popcorn on September 22, 2021, 11:45:36 AM
yes. what an embarrassing mistake. I had just downloaded an entire podcast with an interview with the guy who played Angelo and everything.
Angelo I was Peter Butterworth's son and star of Consuming Passions,Tyler Butterworth.
Angelo II, Tim Whitnall played teen Elvis in the Elvis West End musical alongside Shakin' Stevens as army Elvis and nutter PJ Proby as old Elvis.

JesusAndYourBush

Cerys

Pseudopath

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 18, 2021, 12:06:51 AMRoger Moore invented the Magnum ice cream.

Just Mr Moore being a Billy Bullshitter. Magnums were invented by the Danish ice cream company Frisko in the late '80s.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Pseudopath on November 19, 2021, 11:16:27 AMJust Mr Moore being a Billy Bullshitter. Magnums were invented by the Danish ice cream company Frisko in the late '80s.

Yeah - but I think 'invented the Magnum' just means 'had the idea to put a choc ice on a stick'. Maybe 'had the idea to put a choc ice on a stick and then tell someone he knew who was a director for Walls about it'.

Sebastian Cobb

olliebean

The idea for Magnum isn't just "put a choc ice on a stick," it's "put a choc ice on a stick and also put nice chocolate on it instead of the crappy horrible chocolate that choc ices usually have."