Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:48:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Tethered lighter-than-air objects are all classed as tethered ballons or aerostats, doesn't matter if they are mostly spherical, blimpoid, or trumpoid. Someone should commission a farage barrage balloon.

MoonDust

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 08, 2021, 11:31:52 AMTethered lighter-than-air objects are all classed as tethered ballons or aerostats, doesn't matter if they are mostly spherical, blimpoid, or trumpoid. Someone should commission a farage barrage balloon.

Strange, I recently read an interview with some children's author where barrage balloons were mentioned and I had to google what they are. Did you read the same thing?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: MoonDust on December 08, 2021, 11:37:07 AMStrange, I recently read an interview with some children's author where barrage balloons were mentioned and I had to google what they are. Did you read the same thing?

Family business was in this area until the main recreational market got killed by 20+ % interest rates in 80s

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 08, 2021, 11:43:05 AMFamily business was in this area until the main recreational market got killed by 20+ % interest rates in 80s

Did they not think to make the balloons more interesting?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 08, 2021, 11:03:20 PMDid they not think to make the balloons more interesting?

They're great if you're really into other things like pop-up books or quilts.

Ferris

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ferris on December 09, 2021, 02:06:14 AMAre they?! Blimey.

Yep! I found out while reading an article about how they were going to be passing rising supply chain costs onto franchisees, and I was like, whose franchisees, exactly? Obviously they don't have their own, that would be mad.

touchingcloth

There's an episode of the US Office where Michael and Dwight ask two waitresses from a Japanese restaurant to go on a date with them. In a following scene where they are shown on their dates, the actors playing the waitresses have changed. I'd always assumed this was some kind of casting SNAFU where they had had to hire different Asian actors and assumed that the audience might not notice, but it turns out that it was actually supposed to be a joke, and it turns out that a deleted scene would have revealed that the gag was that they had ended up actually dating less attractive women than they had asked out, but the scene was cut because, according to Greg Daniels, the actors they hired to play the dates were "not ugly enough". This all in an episode made recently enough to have been directed by Harold Ramis.

dissolute ocelot

In the 12th century King David I of Scotland gave the Isle of May in the Firth of Forth to that fine English city of Reading, or at least to the monks of Reading. As you can imagine this later proved a matter of contention between Scotland and England, but if you are from Berkshire feel free to go shout at a puffin.

Johnny Foreigner

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 10, 2021, 10:16:47 AMIn the 12th century King David I of Scotland gave the Isle of May in the Firth of Forth to that fine English city of Reading, or at least to the monks of Reading. As you can imagine this later proved a matter of contention between Scotland and England, but if you are from Berkshire feel free to go shout at a puffin.

I have been to the Isle of May; I got a catamaran from the Seabird Centre in North Berwick.
However, I have never been to Reading. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Fat Jesus

pigamus

Bloke on Twitter says celery stops acid reflux. Is that true?

kalowski

Quote from: pigamus on December 11, 2021, 09:59:45 PMBloke on Twitter says celery stops acid reflux. Is that true?
I believe it depends on how far up your arse you put it.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: pigamus on December 11, 2021, 09:59:45 PMBloke on Twitter says celery stops acid reflux. Is that true?
Drinking water helps acid reflux, so eating stringy water is unlikely to hurt.

beanheadmcginty

Is that why it is added to recipes? I've always wondered what it is supposed to be contributing to a dish considering it has negligible flavour but seems to turn up in lots of things.

seepage

I've wondered why celery is in mirepoix, but apparently "celery has a natural saltiness and slight bitterness which adds a depth of flavour" ?!

Poobum

Cooked celery is a completely different beast. Get it in them soup/sauce bases, delicious stuff.

Kankurette

Celery is often used as a base in vegetable soup. It tastes great smothered in peanut butter.

On the subject of food, my hat was fucked upon finding out that there is a dessert called blueberry grunt. It's a bit like a crumble.

Jittlebags

Just so I can get..

Sinitta considers rewrite.  Ah thank you.

boki

Quote from: Poobum on December 12, 2021, 06:48:03 PMCooked celery is a completely different beast. Get it in them soup/sauce bases, delicious stuff.

Yup. Can't be doing with it raw, but I'll happily sweat some out in a stew

Ferris

Lunatic anti-vax grifter Robert F Kennedy is married to Curb Your Enthusiasm actress Cheryl Hines.

Dex Sawash

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ferris on December 24, 2021, 06:27:28 PMLunatic anti-vax grifter Robert F Kennedy is married to Curb Your Enthusiasm actress Cheryl Hines.

Sirhan Sirhan Will be surprised and disappointed to hear this.

bgmnts

In my experience water doesnt do much for GERD/reflux/indigestion but I shall definitely try celery!

Gulftastic

Mechanic Ant, who replaced Ed China on Wheeler Dealers, is dating Rene Zellweger.

Icehaven

studpuppet

Raquel Welch's son is married to the daughter of Indoor League's Freddie Trueman.