Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:38:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Jockice

Quote from: pigamus on January 28, 2022, 01:32:46 AMIn the early 1970s, Roy Plomley interviewed a man named Alistair MacLean for Desert Island Discs. He thought it was the Scottish novelist, but it was actually a man from the Ontario Tourist Board. The programme was never broadcast.

Oh God, something similar happened to me on one of my first ever journalism jobs. I got sent out with a photographer to interview a prominent former local cricketer (he'd played for England and everything) who was retiring from the job in a car showroom he'd taken up after he became too old for the sport.

Now I know bugger all about cricket. Which is quite a good job as neither did he. Totally different bloke. Who didn't even seem aware that he has a famous namesake. Well famous to some people. After finding this out about 30 seconds into the interview I then went through the rigmarole of pretending I was really interested in his 40 years of selling cars. While daydreaming of strangling the newsdesk dickhead who seemed not to realise that sometimes two unconnected people may have the same name.

It ended up being a one-line picture caption.

Jockice

Dex Sawash

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 30, 2022, 08:27:58 PMFreezers stick closed after being shut cos of the warm air contracting and Flemings vacuum, not because they're designed to stick shut.

The word 'bodacious' wasn't invented for the Bill & Ted films. It was being used as a slang term by Those Crazy Americans as far back as the mid 19th century.

Menu

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 26, 2022, 05:33:24 PMReading about the snow white tale after Peter Dinklage's comments on the disney live redo and came across this.

Fucking PAEDO mirror

I think they just call it "Snow White" and recast the dwarves as normal peasant people who just happen to live in the countryside and work in the mountains.

It would be ironic if Disney's desire not to be racist to dwarves leads to dwarves not having the most nailed-on payday of their entire careers.

pigamus

touchingcloth

This post...

Quote from: phantom_power on February 04, 2022, 09:26:43 AMOver 3 million, apparently

https://www.engineeringfordiscovery.org/education/shipwrecks/how-many-shipwrecks-are-there/#:~:text=It%20is%20estimated%20that%20there,dated%20to%202700%2D2200%20BC.

...led me to reading about the Bohomme Richard, and my arse's hat being well and truly belted to learn that the American Revolutionary War was partly fought in Europe, including just off the Yorkshire coast. It's as surprising to me as if I had learned that some of the First World War was fought in the Antartic.

JamesTC

Six years before The Matrix came out, Carrie-Anne Moss starred in a short-lived TV show called Matrix.

Just spent ages laughing at "Steven Matrix".

Rizla

Quote from: JamesTC on February 07, 2022, 12:26:56 AMJust spent ages laughing at "Steven Matrix".
I had a similar one the other day when I thought about how the guy in the Rebus books/TV show is actually a detective actually called John Rebus.

Ferris

An Irish distillery fire in the 1870s hospitalized 24 people, and killed 13.

Nobody died in the conflagration - all victims were killed outside the building by alcohol poisoning as a result of drinking far too much of the free whiskey that flowed down the street.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_whiskey_fire

Dex Sawash

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: JamesTC on February 07, 2022, 12:26:56 AMSix years before The Matrix came out, Carrie-Anne Moss starred in a short-lived TV show called Matrix.

Just spent ages laughing at "Steven Matrix".
In Commando (1985), Arnold Schwarzenegger played John Matrix, and future TV witch Alyssa Milano played his daughter Jenny Matrix. Respectively, database software for prostitutes and donkey-breeders.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 26, 2022, 05:38:05 PMI'd be interested in seeing Snow White and the Seven Worfs where she hangs around with a bunch of Klingons.
Here you go (not mine):

turnstyle

Quote from: pigamus on January 28, 2022, 01:32:46 AMIn the early 1970s, Roy Plomley interviewed a man named Alistair MacLean for Desert Island Discs. He thought it was the Scottish novelist, but it was actually a man from the Ontario Tourist Board. The programme was never broadcast.

This happened on an episode of Maron's WTF. He booked Kevin McDonald of Kids in the Hall fame, or at least thought he had, when another bloke called Kevin McDonald turned up instead. Turned out he was a Scottish film director so they had a chin wag about that. I think he released the podcast as double, with both Kevin McDonald interviews?

Replies From View

Guy who played Cunt Jester in Knightmare was the voice of Marvin the Paranoid Android in the Radio and TV versions of Hitchhiker's Guide.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Replies From View on February 10, 2022, 05:06:47 PMGuy who played Cunt Jester in Knightmare was the voice of Marvin the Paranoid Android in the Radio and TV versions of Hitchhiker's Guide.
I dread to think what a Cunt Jester does with his stick with bells on.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: Replies From View on February 10, 2022, 05:06:47 PMGuy who played Cunt Jester in Knightmare was the voice of Marvin the Paranoid Android in the Radio and TV versions of Hitchhiker's Guide.

Nah, he didn't do the voices, he was the guy in the costume.

Replies From View

Ohh yeah.

Okay that makes sense then.  I couldn't quite reconcile it to be honest.

magister

Marlene Dietrich and Irene Handl were born on the same day.

George White

For years I thought it was, but mainly because of the Odessa Filmstudio of the USSR.

Icehaven

The Ukrainian president is a comedian who ran for office after playing a part in a sitcom in which he's a civilian who unexpectedly wins the presidency. His fictional and real parties even had the same name.

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 07, 2022, 05:01:56 PMIn Commando (1985), Arnold Schwarzenegger played John Matrix, and future TV witch Alyssa Milano played his daughter Jenny Chenny Matrix.

Sebastian Cobb

When the Swiss faced coal shortages during WWII they needed to find a way to keep their trains running and settled on eletrification on the cheap by adding pantographs and electric heaters to their steam trains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric-steam_locomotive