Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:36:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 07, 2022, 05:01:56 PMIn Commando (1985), Arnold Schwarzenegger played John Matrix, and future TV witch Alyssa Milano played his daughter Jenny Matrix. Respectively, database software for prostitutes and donkey-breeders.

I had a bit of a crush on Jenny M when Commando came out (yes, I know she was 12, but so was I).

MojoJojo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 03, 2022, 04:39:41 PMWhen the Swiss faced coal shortages during WWII they needed to find a way to keep their trains running and settled on eletrification on the cheap by adding pantographs and electric heaters to their steam trains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric-steam_locomotive

Well there's Your Problem?

Although reading that they only did two trains like that. Interested to read you get model trains that work like that though.

I was disappointed to discover that the Blue Man Group is a real performance art collective, and not a bit of random whimsy from the Arrested Development universe.  It no longer seems as funny.

(There's probably loads of jokes that have gone right over my head from Arrested Development - I only recently discovered that Jason Bateman's sister plays someone who he thinks is his sister, but isn't.)

touchingcloth

Quote from: Darles Chickens on March 04, 2022, 12:27:18 PM(There's probably loads of jokes that have gone right over my head from Arrested Development - I only recently discovered that Jason Bateman's sister plays someone who he thinks is his sister, but isn't.)

I'm on about my fifth rewatch at the moment, and there's still stuff I'm noticing for the first time in nearly every episode. I hadn't realised that Nellie Bluth was a Bateman!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 04, 2022, 11:19:01 AMWell there's Your Problem?

Although reading that they only did two trains like that. Interested to read you get model trains that work like that though.
Yeah!

touchingcloth

Those Smart cars are named as an acronym where the "M" is for "Mercedes", and the "S" for their arde-belting collaborator, Swatch.

The "A", "R", and "T" are from, in the words of Ron Howard, nothing.

holyzombiejesus

Spontaneous Synchronization is pretty crazy. If you get a load of metronomes next to each other, all going off at different times, eventually they synchronize. Admittedly it's not as amazing as I initially thought, seeing as the platform they're on is moving and obviously has a hand in synchronising them but it still looks good.

olliebean

I call bullshit: tried this with the metronome apps on my and my housemate's phones and they didn't synchronise at all.

jamiefairlie

If you put three women flatmates on a piece of wood balanced on two beer cans, their periods start to synchronize, I expect.

TrenterPercenter

Vindaloo is authentically made with pork and is from the Portuguese dish Carne de vinha d'alhos which basically translates as meat with wine (vine) and garlic (alho).

It's Indianisation starts in Goa being a part of Indian that eats pork and drinks booze, though now it has then merged into aloo (potato) with potatoes becoming part of the Indian dish vinegar, garlic and potatoes.

touchingcloth

I've never had a vindaloo with potatoes in that I can remember, though I can see how alho would morph into aloo!

One of my favourite recipes to make at home is a pork vindaloo, and I fucking love wanking on about how, actually, a proper vindaloo should contain pork, actually, and should primarily be sour from the vinegar and not hot as fuck the way BIR places serve, actually.

I've only ever found one Indian restaurant that offers a vindaloo made with pork, which funnily enough was here in Portugal. The Indians that do live here tend to be from Goa due to the links from the old empire, and that region has vastly more Christians in it that most which explains their lack of an aversion to pig.

Paul Calf

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on March 17, 2022, 07:12:13 PMVindaloo is authentically made with pork and is from the Portuguese dish Carne de vinha d'alhos which basically translates as meat with wine (vine) and garlic (alho).

It's Indianisation starts in Goa being a part of Indian that eats pork and drinks booze, though now it has then merged into aloo (potato) with potatoes becoming part of the Indian dish vinegar, garlic and potatoes.

It contains vinegar too. Proper vindaloo is great but the last time I had it form a UK takeaway it was just heat and no flavour.

Paul Calf

For my money though, chicken xacuti is the stand-out Goan dish.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 17, 2022, 07:43:57 PMOne of my favourite recipes to make at home is a pork vindaloo, and I fucking love wanking on about how, actually, a proper vindaloo should contain pork, actually, and should primarily be sour from the vinegar and not hot as fuck the way BIR places serve, actually.

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 18, 2022, 01:51:06 PMIt contains vinegar too. Proper vindaloo is great but the last time I had it form a UK takeaway it was just heat and no flavour.

......as this is the acceptable version of booze. VinegarAloo = Vin de Alho.

Dex Sawash

beanheadmcginty

George White

Michael Hordern was original choice for M in the Bond films.
So, as well as a Paddington as Q, we could have had one as M.

Juice Terry

Quote from: Gusty OWindflap on March 24, 2022, 11:51:21 AMPeople experiencing poverty can be at a disadvantage at a genetic level to those not experiencing poverty. Not because of their 'biology' or how they were born but as a direct result of their environment.

For example, epigenetics research indicates that 'poverty leaves a mark on nearly 10 percent of the genes in the genome' (and not in a good way).

Hat fucked

https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2019/04/poverty-leaves-a-mark-on-our-genes/

Paul Calf

beanheadmcginty

Surely any genetic advantages of being rich are cancelled out by them all being inbred?

dissolute ocelot

According to Wikipedia there's a "school version" of the musical Grease which removes all references to alcohol, smoking, bad language, and Rizzo's pregnancy. Although it keeps the ear piercing scene, because tetanus is for all the family.

No word if Rocky Horror has had the same treatment.

touchingcloth

The Ford Model T could run on alcohol as well as gasoline.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 26, 2022, 03:01:38 PMThe Ford Model T could run on alcohol as well as gasoline.
Ethanol, it's not like you're tipping half a pint of mild in one and expecting to get to the shops.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 26, 2022, 08:19:54 PMEthanol, it's not like you're tipping half a pint of mild in one and expecting to get to the shops.

No, but it still surprised me. I knew that there are cars these days which run on ethanol, but I thought it post-dated the world of petrol rather than it being something which had been around since the dawn of the motorcar.

Paul Calf

Rizla

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 17, 2022, 07:43:57 PMOne of my favourite recipes to make at home is a pork vindaloo

Got what it takes your wife? You got plenty yeah? Plenty...to go around...evil bastard.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Rizla on March 27, 2022, 03:51:51 PMRecipe?

This probably serves 4 to 8, depending on what you have with it. Add more chilli if you like it hot, but this is about the heat I like it - too much for those people who won't eat anything more than a korma, but nowhere near lads and bants levels of spice.

Ingredients:
1kg boneless pork shoulder, chunked

(For the marinade)
5cm cinnamon stick
1 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp cumin seeds
12 green cardamom pods, seeds only
1 onion, chopped roughly
8 garlic cloves, peeled
5cm ginger, chopped roughly
2 tbsp tamarind liquid (or substitute white wine vinegar)
5 tbsp white wine vinegar (or ~7 tbsp if not using tamarind)
1½ tsp salt
2 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric

(For the sauce)
2 tbsp ghee
1 onion, chopped
4 tomatoes, sliced
4 fresh green chillies, halved lengthways
Water

Steps
Marinade:
-Toast the cinnamon, peppercorns, cloves, cumin seeds, and cardamom, and grind to a powder
-Blend the onion, garlic, ginger, tamarind, vinegar, salt, chilli powder, turmeric, and ground spices into a paste.
-Coat the pork with the paste
-Cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours

Cooking:
-Fry onions in ghee over a low heat until soft and deep brown, ~45mins
-Add the pork and fry for 5-10 minutes until it starts to colour
-Stir in the tomatoes and chillies, and add water if needed
-Cover and cook for ~2 hours until tender, adding a small amount of water if it starts to stick
-Add extra tamarind and/or vinegar to taste before serving (the dish should have a definite but gentle sharpness)

Fr.Bigley