Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:54:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

touchingcloth

They're what's left over from the manufacture of arse patches.

dissolute ocelot

The word "chaps" is from the Spanish chaparajos, which refers to the dwarf evergreen oak plant, and is also the origin of "chaparral", a region with tough shrubs and bushes, and sadly has nothing to do with preventing chapping or chafing, or indeed "chap" as in man.

Sebastian Cobb

Incredibly bored, I wondered if the French had a similar, yet different idiomatic term for 'white elephant', they don't, they use it as well and the translated French page of wikipedia gives this explanation, which is a lot more informative than the English version:

QuoteIn India , the country where Buddhism appeared, white elephants are found . However, the day before the birth of Buddha , his mother would have dreamed of such an elephant. From this story, a sacralization of the white elephants developed. In particular, it was not allowed to make them work. Also, white elephants became prestigious gifts that the princes of India gave to each other. And for the least well-off of these princes, receiving such a present was not without problems, because between the obligation to treat the animal well and the prohibition to make it work, its possession could prove to be expensive.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on April 16, 2022, 07:28:42 PMBut whats the origin of arseless chaps?
ACAA
(All Chaps Are Assless)

Precocious apparently means 'a level of knowledge or maturity that belies your age' and not 'irritating little twat' as I had previously thought.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on April 24, 2022, 03:02:33 AMACAA
(All Chaps Are Assless)

Precocious apparently means 'a level of knowledge or maturity that belies your age' and not 'irritating little twat' as I had previously thought.

Thank you.

Fr.Bigley

Brian ferry's "Dance away your heartache" is not sound medical advice. I miss you dad. RIP.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on April 24, 2022, 03:02:33 AMACAA
(All Chaps Are Assless)

Comes to the same thing in the end though.

Paul Calf

Vitamin C is called ascorbic acid because it combats scurvy.

'Scorbutic' = 'pertaining to scurvy'. 'Ascorbic' is a contraction of 'antiscorbutic'.

FredNurke

Not a contraction, but an alternative; a- is the Greek negative prefix (an- before vowels), as in 'atheist'. It has the same origin as both 'in-' in Latin and 'un-' in English., namely syllabic n, the zero-grade form of Indo-European *ne-.

Paul Calf

Ah, thanks. I had a feeling that wasn't right but was too lazy to check 😀

Fr.Bigley

beanheadmcginty

Running around robbing banks getting whacked on ascorbic snacks.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 27, 2022, 12:16:54 PMVitamin C is called ascorbic acid because it combats scurvy.

'Scorbutic' = 'pertaining to scurvy'. 'Ascorbic' is a contraction of 'antiscorbutic'.

On a related note, I recently found out that one of the ingredients for vitamin D tablets is lanolin from sheep's wool. Right, now someone do vitamin E.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on April 28, 2022, 09:59:42 PMOn a related note, I recently found out that one of the ingredients for vitamin D tablets is lanolin from sheep's wool. Right, now someone do vitamin E.

Vitamin E used to be thought to be the 8th vitamin, but when they invented vitamin D they rebranded it as vitamin E for eight. It's a bit like how WD 40 was originally designed for putting in your brew.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on April 28, 2022, 09:59:42 PMOn a related note, I recently found out that one of the ingredients for vitamin D tablets is lanolin from sheep's wool. Right, now someone do vitamin E.
Apparently pharmaceutical companies make D from lichen too. Wonder if that's where the sheep get it (probably not, although can you make vitamin D from the sun's rays if you're covered in wool?)

Vitamin E supplements seem to come from sources like sunflowers and other seeds and legumes. So the sheep are safe from that.

pigamus

Johnny Depp was once engaged to Jennifer Grey. When she still had her original nose.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: pigamus on May 01, 2022, 07:49:19 PMJohnny Depp was once engaged to Jennifer Grey. When she still had her original nose.

Who has it now?

poodlefaker

Eddie out of Charles and Eddie also released a fantastic solo album a year or so ago. A lo-fi Shuggie Otis-type thing.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: poodlefaker on May 03, 2022, 09:38:57 AMEddie out of Charles and Eddie also released a fantastic solo album a year or so ago. A lo-fi Shuggie Otis-type thing.

Was he called "and Eddie"

pigamus

Emmanuel Macron's stepdaughter was in the same class as him at school.

Swift

Jonathan Swift invented the name 'Vanessa'. He used it as a pet name for a woman he may or may not have been romantically intimate with. Her name was Esther Vanhomrigh and so he took Van from her surname and contracted Esther to Essa.

Cloud

Intel is short for Integrated Electronics

Only known Intel for like 30 years

Fr.Bigley

touchingcloth

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Cloud on May 10, 2022, 10:13:31 PMIntegrated Celery?  That's the 5th Doctor

Do you know that eating the 5th Doctor uses up more calories than you take in?

'Caracus'

Paul Calf

If you want to catch a housefly, move the thing you want to catch it with very slowly. Insects perceive time much more slowly than mammals, and if you're slow enough it'll never notice the motion.

This video is amazing

MojoJojo

A Japanese euphemism for menstration is  ペリー来航, Japanese for 'the arrival of Matthew Perry'