Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,803
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:13:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: NoSleep on July 12, 2022, 02:42:04 PMSee KISS projecting the image of an Australian flag at an event in Austria this week.

Isn't Australia and Austria the same place? Wow. Next you'll be telling them there is a Georgia in Europe and a St Petersburg in Russia.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on July 12, 2022, 01:32:31 PMSource: they are generally considered fucking morons.

I was clued into this while watching an episode  of Malcolm In The Middle (Pearl Harbor). I had a poke around online and discovered that it was a far-from-rare assumption.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 12, 2022, 12:25:13 PMMany Americans seem to assume that WWII began in December 1941 with the bombing of Pearl Harbor despite there having been two years of war in Europe and Asia, the Allies having secured control of the Channel in the air and around 20 million people having died, those overwhelmingly being Allied civilians.

I suppose there must be people (Chinese people specifically) equally incredulous that there are people who think that WW2 didn't start until September 1939.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 12, 2022, 03:04:00 PMI suppose there must be people (Chinese people specifically) equally incredulous that there are people who think that WW2 started in September 1939.

Ask the majority of people educated in the UK and they'll tell you WW1 was 100% muddy trenches on the western front.

Cold Meat Platter

gilbertharding

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on July 12, 2022, 03:10:25 PMAsk the majority of people educated in the UK and they'll tell you WW1 was 100% muddy trenches on the western front.

Unless they've seen Lawrence of Arabia and The African Queen (and remembered what they were about), aye.

Paul Calf

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 12, 2022, 03:04:00 PMI suppose there must be people (Chinese people specifically) equally incredulous that there are people who think that WW2 started in September 1939.

Do people - even from Japan and Manchuria - consider the Second Sino-Japanese war to be part of WWII? It might have been a precursor but I'm not sure it could be called a global war at that point.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be smart. I genuinely don't know.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 12, 2022, 03:21:56 PMDo people - even from Japan and Manchuria - consider the Second Sino-Japanese war to be part of WWII? It might have been a precursor but I'm not sure it could be called a global war at that point.

True up to a point - but I'd say WW2 was more of a continuation than a sequel. I guess we all have different names for our wars.

Paul Calf

Yeah. I think there were several tributary conflicts leading into the main war. It's like a river - asking where it starts is asking the wrong question.

FalknerHinton

Paul Hill, one of the Guildford Four, married JFK's niece.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 12, 2022, 03:21:56 PMDo people - even from Japan and Manchuria - consider the Second Sino-Japanese war to be part of WWII? It might have been a precursor but I'm not sure it could be called a global war at that point.

Wikipedia discusses it. It makes some sense to see at least some of Japan's actions pre-December 1941 as part of the War in the Pacific, although against that, they'd been messing around on the mainland since 1931, so was it the same war or a new war? Pearl Harbor and the invasion of SE Asia in December 1941 definitely formed a new phase in Japanese military action. But if for instance Bulgaria can be involved in 3 wars between 1912 and 1914, why not count Japan's wars separately?

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

Quote from: FalknerHinton on July 12, 2022, 04:27:19 PMPaul Hill, one of the Guildford Four, married JFK's niece.

Arnold Schwarzenegger married Maria Shriver - another of JFK's nieces. Their daughter married Chris Pratt, who arguably has done far worse things in reality than what the Guildford Four were accused of.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 12, 2022, 04:21:10 PMYeah. I think there were several tributary conflicts leading into the main war. It's like a river - asking where it starts is asking the wrong question.

Who does it start?

Paul Calf

bgmnts

I personally wouldn't but that could be a western perspective. Surely even the war on the european front only became a true world war when the US joined the allies?

Anyway, look at this for a cheeky photo:

Sonny_Jim

I'm assuming the arrow says something to the effect 'plane flies this way'.

Paul Calf

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on July 13, 2022, 10:04:11 AMI'm assuming the arrow says something to the effect 'plane flies this way'.

And to activate the ejector seat you have to open the cockpit and lean out and press that big red button.
(Hopefully it gives you a few seconds to get back in your seat otherwise it'd make a horrible mess!)

Paul Calf

Paul Calf

touchingcloth

Ok. The nearest thing to me is my smallest cat, does that work?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 12, 2022, 12:25:13 PMMany Americans seem to assume that WWII began in December 1941 with the bombing of Pearl Harbor despite there having been two years of war in Europe and Asia, the Allies having secured control of the Channel in the air and around 20 million people having died, those overwhelmingly being Allied civilians.
Do they? I live here and have never met anyone who thinks this.

Considering how many Brits believe lifelong anti racist campaigner Jeremy Corbyn hates Jews almost as much as Hitler, seems weird to single this out.

touchingcloth

It's a bit much of you to be claiming that Corbyn hates the Jews even more than Hitler did.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 13, 2022, 05:24:22 PMDo they? I live here and have never met anyone who thinks this.

Considering how many Brits believe lifelong anti racist campaigner Jeremy Corbyn hates Jews almost as much as Hitler, seems weird to single this out.

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 12, 2022, 03:02:26 PMI was clued into this while watching an episode  of Malcolm In The Middle (Pearl Harbor). I had a poke around online and discovered that it was a far-from-rare assumption.

This is the timeline.

ElTwopo

Japan's flag is basically a 'big red button'

Makes you think

Paul Calf

In Japan, it is rude to put soy sauce on plain rice when dining on someone else's invitation. It's OK to do it if you're in your own apartment or if the rice is mixed with another ingredient like eggs or vegetables.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 21, 2022, 10:01:49 AMIn Japan, it is rude to put soy sauce on plain rice when dining on someone else's invitation. It's OK to do it if you're in your own apartment or if the rice is mixed with another ingredient like eggs or vegetables.

If only someone had told Truman about that. Might've been a viable alternative to Hiroshima.