Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Not amazing in a good way, but around 40% of accidental overdoses on painkillers are related to dental pain.

studpuppet

From Wikipedia:

QuoteMcVitie's chocolate-coated Penguin biscuits are made with the same biscuit mix as their bourbon biscuit, but the filling is different.

touchingcloth

That French bit from Psycho Killer just means "what is it?"*, but is spelled "qu'est-ce qui se".

*une hole blanc.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 08, 2022, 07:42:49 PMThat French bit from Psycho Killer just means "what is it?"*, but is spelled "qu'est-ce qui se".

*une hole blanc.
Qu'est-ce que c'est?

The band Husker Du were allegedly named after nonsense they came out with while trying and failing to sing the French bit of Psycho Killer. Husker Du is a Danish children's game, give or take an umlaut. My guess is that they thought Husker Du sounded like "ce soir-la" as in "Ce que j'ai fait, ce soir-là / Ce qu'elle a dit, ce soir-là / Réalisant mon espoir / Je me lance vers la gloire." ("Something something my name's Lance and I'm glorious!")

touchingcloth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 10, 2022, 11:13:03 AMQu'est-ce que c'est?

That's the one. I realised an 020210u5 thing that I didn't know what he was singing in that line, so I was trying and failing to google all of the phonetic variations of kisscusay I could think of. Kiss c'c'est.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 10, 2022, 11:13:03 AMThe band Husker Du were allegedly named after nonsense they came out with while trying and failing to sing the French bit of Psycho Killer. Husker Du is a Danish children's game, give or take an umlaut. My guess is that they thought Husker Du sounded like "ce soir-la" as in "Ce que j'ai fait, ce soir-là / Ce qu'elle a dit, ce soir-là / Réalisant mon espoir / Je me lance vers la gloire." ("Something something my name's Lance and I'm glorious!")

Bob Moüld was named after
Spoiler alert
some mould.
[close]

seepage

The majority of the World's spectacle frames and lenses are made by a single company, EssilorLuxottica, who own most glasses brands or are licensed to them.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: seepage on August 17, 2022, 07:25:10 PMThe majority of the World's spectacle frames and lenses are made by a single company, EssilorLuxottica, who own most glasses brands or are licensed to them.

And sunglasses, if you've ever been into a sunglasses retail outlet they most likely own it.

touchingcloth

Quote from: phantom_power on August 18, 2022, 10:05:45 AMFigs aren't technically vegan

What? Because of bees? Manure? Or have you been eating those ones that grow on mice's backs again?

phantom_power

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 18, 2022, 10:07:37 AMWhat? Because of bees? Manure? Or have you been eating those ones that grow on mice's backs again?

Most figs contain at least one liquified wasp, apparently

touchingcloth

Paul Calf

Morrissey is playing the London Palladium this October? I mean, who the fuck are his fans these days? There can't be that many closeted curious neo-Nazi skinheads who get woody at the idea of geriatric softcock.

cheesebot

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 19, 2022, 07:59:50 AMMorrissey is playing the London Palladium this October? I mean, who the fuck are his fans these days? There can't be that many closeted curious neo-Nazi skinheads who get woody at the idea of geriatric softcock.

see you there?

pigamus

Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred and Anthony Ainley all share(d) the same birthday. Today. Ridiculous.

touchingcloth

Quote from: pigamus on August 20, 2022, 06:50:14 PMSylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred and Anthony Ainley all share(d) the same birthday. Today. Ridiculous.

As were Ron Paul, Phil Lynott, Robert Plant, Fred Durst, David Walliams, Any Adams, Jamie Cullum, and Jyrki Jokipakka.

pigamus

Angst in my Pants

George White

https://youtu.be/YFVZufT8B9Y?t=4442 The 1978 Nottingham Forest squad appear in the Bruce Li Bruceploitation film The Gold Connection, as Li watches TVB Pearl's broadcast of the European Cup win against AEK Athens at City Ground.

Paul Calf

Forest should have had a third Euro Cup in 1984.

Fucking Anderlecht cheating bastards.

touchingcloth

Paul Calf

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 22, 2022, 12:23:59 PMForest should have had a third Euro Cup in 1984.

Fucking Anderlecht cheating bastards.

This isn't just an opinion by the way. It's documented fact:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/dec/11/nottingham-forest-anderlecht-match-fixing-scandal-1984

QuoteAt Forest they always suspected their 3-0 defeat in the second leg of the Uefa Cup semi-final in April 1984 was fixed. The truth finally emerged in 1997 when the Belgian club admitted their former president, Constant Vanden Stock, had used a local gangster to pay the Spanish referee £18,000.
Anderlecht were banned for a year from Uefa's competitions, which seems remarkably lenient in hindsight, but one of the great match-fixing scandals of its time still remains in the small print of the sport's history books.

Zero Gravitas

When you block the intake of a hoover, or a hair dryer and it starts making a weird noise: the motor is actually doing less work and drawing less current, the sound is the fan speeding up as the pressure in the chamber drops.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on August 26, 2022, 01:02:35 PMWhen you block the intake of a hoover, or a hair dryer and it starts making a weird noise: the motor is actually doing less work and drawing less current, the sound is the fan speeding up as the pressure in the chamber drops.

What if you do a shit in it? What happens then?

touchingcloth

It's actually doing more work, because it's trying to suck in an apple, your hand, a penis.

badaids

Quote from: pigamus on August 20, 2022, 06:50:14 PMSylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred and Anthony Ainley all share(d) the same birthday. Today. Ridiculous.

Actually, likelihood of shared birthdays in even a small group of people is ridiculously high, statistically speaking.

I only learned this recently and is another thing for the fuck my hat thread.

pigamus

seepage

Quote from: badaids on August 27, 2022, 10:37:05 AMActually, likelihood of shared birthdays in even a small group of people is ridiculously high, statistically speaking.

I only learned this recently and is another thing for the fuck my hat thread.

>=50% chance of 2 people sharing a birthday if there are >=25 people in the group, iirc?

badaids

Quote from: seepage on August 27, 2022, 03:37:05 PM>=50% chance of 2 people sharing a birthday if there are >=25 people in the group, iirc?

I think it's a few less than that, but something like it yes.