Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:37:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Top most hideous objects of decoration (LIST THREAD)

Started by pancreas, May 21, 2022, 01:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

I nominate: the brick wall wallpaper. My aunt and uncle had this stuff in the 80s. Even as a young child (28 etc), I was disgusted.

Video Game Fan 2000

Clownbaby

A shop in Carlisle used to be open that sold horrible glittering diamanté ornaments like massive shiny silver effect bulldogs, fake glittery silver vases of plants, glittery diamanté models of vintage buses. All the most repulsive garish shite.

shoulders

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 21, 2022, 01:07:30 PMLive laugh love end thread

Pretty much. Any 'here are my values' slogan placed on a wall is pretty tacky for anyone aged over 21 really, but particularly that shit which is, putting it plainly, at the periapsis of banality.

If you know anyone who has those in their house do point out 'Excuse me, what's that I can see at the periapsis of banality? Ah! - You'

imitationleather

idunnosomename

Sculpted wooden letters of the word BATHROOM which you put in the bathroom

Pink Gregory

Video Game Fan 2000

what about those collectable kitsch cows that had themed parody artwork painted on them

i remember walking past a shop window with loads of them whenever we were on the way back from the pub and gawping at the idea of someone who'd have about a dozen of them all lined up on a shelf

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 21, 2022, 01:35:45 PMfamily toilet seat for at least 5 years

monkey pox patient zero I'm afraid

The Mollusk

On the wall of every single London Airbnb ever.

shoulders

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: shoulders on May 21, 2022, 01:41:46 PMWon't take you to WM Hawkes in Hull then.

I can turn a blind eye to them in pubs. I still think they're crap but it's a step up from questionable figurines like african heads/native american masks etc.

imitationleather

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 21, 2022, 01:40:07 PM

On the wall of every single London Airbnb ever.

See also: A print of that Banksy of the kid with the balloon.

The sight of any Banksy on a wall in someone's home rouses a deep feeling of despair within me, now I think about it.

Ferris

We stayed at an Airbnb in DC that had actual spray paint on the walls, like Banksy, yeah?

I'm actually going to back through my photos and find it because it was so fucking shit.

kalowski

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 21, 2022, 01:07:30 PMLive laugh love end thread
Have you seen that brilliant Alistair Green routine?
"Can you believe I had that Live Laugh Love sign in the bathroom! Oh, have you? Of course, I remember. Well it works in a house like yours."

The circle of carpet around toilets, or as I like to call them, possibly absorbers.

Ferris

Quote from: Ferris on May 21, 2022, 01:50:40 PMWe stayed at an Airbnb in DC that had actual spray paint on the walls, like Banksy, yeah?

I'm actually going to back through my photos and find it because it was so fucking shit.

I'd forgotten that even the message was banal. Here it is:

kalowski

Quote from: Ferris on May 21, 2022, 01:52:43 PMI'd forgotten that even the message was banal. Here it is:

Would be great is it was owned by Art Garfunkel though.

Sebastian Cobb

As well as porcelain horses my grandparents had little carts attached to them made out of dismantled clothes pegs.

Once you start accumulating this tat it ends up requiring its own furniture to put it in, like standing display cases. Best to nip it in the bud really.

idunnosomename

Is it just AirBnBs or are most English houses full of the same shit bought from Primark and the middle of Aldi. No one will let me in their house unless I pay them

Ferris

Quote from: kalowski on May 21, 2022, 01:53:37 PMWould be great is it was owned by Art Garfunkel though.

If I'd stayed at Art Garfunkel's Airbnb I guarantee I would have used that anecdote already.

jobotic

NEVER MIND THE DOG, BEWARE OF THE WIFE*

*there is no wife, hasn't been for some time. Never had a dog.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 21, 2022, 01:55:15 PMIs it just AirBnBs or are most English houses full of the same shit bought from Primark and the middle of Aldi. No one will let me in their house unless I pay them

I've definitely seen some of this tat in non-airbnb places, like the NY taxi version of that London bus thing The Mollusk posted. But sometimes it's hard to tell if this is the owner's or it's some crap the landlord shoved up to make the letting agents photos appear slightly less bare. In both cases it points to instability of shelter though, people aren't going to think too long and hard about interior design if they're at risk of having to shift it all in 6-12 months and probably break it in the next move anyway.

imitationleather

Quote from: Ferris on May 21, 2022, 01:52:43 PMI'd forgotten that even the message was banal. Here it is:

I've honestly stayed in squats with less threatening auras.

imitationleather

The people who had Live, Laugh, Love have now painted over that and replaced their house with an awful-looking all-grey colour scheme, haven't they? It's what always seem to be on the property telly programmes.

I think the current polite term for this type of person is "basic".

pigamus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 21, 2022, 01:53:48 PMAs well as porcelain horses my grandparents had little carts attached to them made out of dismantled clothes pegs.

Once you start accumulating this tat it ends up requiring its own furniture to put it in, like standing display cases. Best to nip it in the bud really.

None of that nan shit was as bad as the live laugh love shit though

The Mollusk

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 21, 2022, 01:55:15 PMIs it just AirBnBs or are most English houses full of the same shit bought from Primark and the middle of Aldi. No one will let me in their house unless I pay them

Nah it's everywhere, I've been in thousands of London properties for my job and I see it all the time. No one has good taste.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on May 21, 2022, 02:03:11 PMThe people who had Live, Laugh, Love have now painted that and replaced their house with an awful-looking all-grey colour scheme, haven't they? It's what always seem to be on the property telly programmes.

I think the current polite term for this type of person is "basic".

I actually quite like grey as a neutral colour but this recent trend of making the entire interior is horrifically drab, everything blends into everything else. It must be like living in series one of Red Dwarf.

idunnosomename