Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:34:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ZEITGEIST: Paul Smith and the Hot Water Club

Started by sevendaughters, August 20, 2022, 03:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Marbles

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 22, 2024, 01:33:02 AMThose venues seem a really odd fit. I quite like what I've seen of him, but it all seems very reliant on building an affable back-and-forth with the audience. Can you really do that in arenas? Does it not become a bit faceless and separated?

The act itself would struggle in an arena - watching someone take the piss out of an audience member you can neither see nor hear isn't going to fare well. That may not matter; it could be like podcast shows that play in arenas - people buy tickets because they feel part of that podcast's community and so it's more of a get together with a bunch of people who all like the same thing.

I still think it's pretty remarkable that this guy is playing a tour this big yet he doesn't even have a Wikipedia page, unless he's turned his hand to comedy after a long, successful career as a fashion designer.

Joe Oakes

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 27, 2022, 09:38:10 AMDon't have any particular issue with anything you've said, but it's quite funny that you're calling him a nondescript name motherfucker on a comedy forum where, despite the near-infinite options available to you, you've gone with the handle Joe Oakes. Say what you want about Paul Smith, but he is at least somewhat constrained in terms of the names available to him. Being announced on stage as Tony Yeboah would be very risky.

I'm rather disappointed in 2022 me, in that I didn't acknowledge this excellent point. I was immature then, barely in my 40s, and have grown as a man since. As, I'm sure, has Paul Smith.

And I, for one, welcome our new comedy overlord.

Tony Yeboah

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/7m-blackstock-market-entertainment-venue-28899539

The date for the new club to open keeps getting put back, but it's currently Sunday 7 April with Ricky Hatton as the first show.

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on March 28, 2024, 09:10:17 AMhttps://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/7m-blackstock-market-entertainment-venue-28899539

The date for the new club to open keeps getting put back, but it's currently Sunday 7 April with Ricky Hatton as the first show.

The Sam Campbell show this coming Sunday (itself rescheduled from February) was cancelled with a weeks notice.  This isn't the first show that hasn't gone ahead - they'd booked dates from November last year.
But they ignored all queries about if the Campbell date was actually going ahead or moving venue. Then with 7 days to go say "unforeseen circumstances" have meant it needs to be cancelled.  Wankers.

kalowski

sevendaughters

building a new thing in that part of Liverpool will mean inevitable intervention from Legitimate Businessmen

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on March 28, 2024, 09:10:17 AMThe date for the new club to open keeps getting put back, but it's currently Sunday 7 April with Ricky Hatton as the first show.

Doing comedy? That sounds a bit deso.

Minami Minegishi

Have to admire someone working their arse without being Oxbridge/Footlights scum, signing with Avalon, or generally doing the whole panel show thing.

The comedy is not for me, like...

Aye Well Mmm

I knew him back in 2014 when Hot Water was just a room in the hotel opposite Liverpool Lime Street. I did a few gigs there and Smith was compere. His act isn't really my thing but he seemed like a nice bloke and always made everyone feel welcome. Sam Avery was the same - very complimentary about a shirt I wore (as opposed to my act...not surprising I packed it in!) In the 10 years since then Smith has worked really hard to make something in Liverpool. Fair play to him.