Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:29:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I like Taylor Swift

Started by kalowski, March 23, 2024, 09:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

it's ok to say taylor swift is shit! you're bang wrong but you have every right to say it

chutnut

I get the same uncanny valley feeling when I listen to Taylor Swift that I get when watching a lot of recent mainstream American comedy films - like glossy/overproduced to the point of being a bit alien and weird (in a bad way)

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: iamcoop on March 25, 2024, 03:50:41 PMIts a phrase the kids use and it means 'brilliantly invigorating noise'.

By the way my comment wasn't meant to be read entirely seriously, I've been fairly diplomatic in this thread up to now but I get your point, relentless positivity in every thread from here on in.

this kind of reply really should be the reserve of thin skinned 15 year olds, you can do better

sevendaughters

last thread had a great swerve into Jandek and then everyone1 agreed with me that Robert Pollard solo was better.

iamcoop

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 25, 2024, 04:03:06 PMthis kind of reply really should be the reserve of thin skinned 15 year olds, you can do better

Eh? If you're going to thread police then commit to the bit and don't go all supply teacher when you get a bit of pushback, that would be my advice.

sevendaughters

as I always do when these threads come around I put on the big hitters to try and extract some gelatin from them and right at the top of the Blank Space video there's a big credit to AMERICAN EXPRESS UNSTAGED, I'm not exactly Ian MacKaye but christ have some fuckin dignity

iamcoop

Her fans are pretty rowdy I'll give her that. When I went to go and see the 40th anniversary of Carpenter's Christine at the cinema last year, it was showing just after they'd showed the Eras tour film in the main theatre and it was absolute carnage around the building. Matchday-esq scenes

Blue Jam

I always think "I like that Call Me Maybe" and then I remember that's by Carly-Rae Jepsen.

I remember first seeing the trailer for the Eras tour film in the cinema and it mentioning her 17-year career, which just made me feel very old. The biggest pop star in the world and I know one of her songs (Shake It Off, not Call Me Maybe). That's kind of embarrassing.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 25, 2024, 03:13:20 PMJust listened to 'Shake it off', 'Style', 'You belong with me' and 'Blank Space'. Just comes across as OK stuff, but nothing outstanding or interesting, I can't imagine me ever bothering with any of it again though.

You should've listened to Trouble

but if Blank Space leaves you cold then I don't know what to say. It's like glancing at Michelangelo's David before going back to your phone screen

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: iamcoop on March 25, 2024, 04:28:46 PMHer fans are pretty rowdy I'll give her that. When I went to go and see the 40th anniversary of Carpenter's Christine at the cinema last year, it was showing just after they'd showed the Eras tour film in the main theatre and it was absolute carnage around the building. Matchday-esq scenes

Swift Ultras

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: iamcoop on March 24, 2024, 03:46:43 PMWhat kind of name is Taylor anyway?! May as well call yourself Butcher, or Blacksmith!!!

#anlterativecomed
#comedeyunleashed

She was named after Planet of The Apes, parents were huge fans.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: iamcoop on March 25, 2024, 04:23:42 PMEh? If you're going to thread police then commit to the bit and don't go all supply teacher when you get a bit of pushback, that would be my advice.

bless

iamcoop

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: JaDanketies on March 25, 2024, 04:35:04 PMYou should've listened to Trouble

but if Blank Space leaves you cold then I don't know what to say. It's like glancing at Michelangelo's David before going back to your phone screen

this is a joke isn't it? comparing anything by swifty to Michelangelo? it's a joke isn't it, just be sure? must be

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: iamcoop on March 25, 2024, 05:10:16 PMAvatar checks out

not sure if to troll the fuck out of you but it might be a bit too easy seeing how your not letting this go and always wanting the last word

iamcoop

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 25, 2024, 05:10:45 PMthis is a joke isn't it? comparing anything by swifty to Michelangelo? it's a joke isn't it, just be sure? must be

Come on dude lead from the front here at least

dontpaintyourteeth

turning out to be a good thread this

Captain Z

Quote from: chutnut on March 25, 2024, 03:59:51 PMuncanny valley feeling

Same here, which is what my post in the first page was getting at (although I do also think the mannequin bears quite a resemblance). I know it's not an original observation to say she comes across a bit uncharismatic and robotic but that Christmas song does nothing to dispel this - the lyrics read as if chatGPT was prompted to write it.

Oosp

The Mollusk

Please can the small handful of bald dads of this forum stop criticising this bulletproof pop goliath, her 4 billion rabid fans might feel intimidated about voicing their support for her

madhair60

kalowski

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: madhair60 on March 25, 2024, 08:02:59 PMthread got weird

Well the opening post says 'easy to say taylor swift is shit' then me and some others do so, I realise this and state I'll bow out, I shouldn't be in the thread, when I point this out to someone they react like a thin skinned mental midget.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

If you like songs such as anti hero and shake it off and the country one about Romeo and Juliet then that is absolutely fine and I respect that. However at the end of the day you simply have to ask yourself - is any of that as good as Karlheinz Stockhausen's groundbreaking and pioneering experimental electronic music of the late 20th century?

Edit: yes, is the answer

twosclues

I like the Christmas tree song but then I like every shit Christmas song.

The Mollusk

It's Smee, it's Smee. I'm the problem, it's Smee.

SteveDave

Here he comes.

I am not the target market for her though I quite liked "Shake It Off" (apart from the "this...sick...beat" bit) and the Right Said Fred one but I put on the Disney Add live show on Sunday just for something in the background whilst we made an Easter bonnet (the boy won the best hat in his class, thanks) and it seemed really fake and her "Aww shucks!" looks at the crowd with big smiled waving made me feel uneasy.

She's a danger to the world and will bring about our downfall.

Oosp

If a committee decided to mould Sixpence None the Richer into Gwen Stefani and imbued the result with the dead-eyed commercial ravenousness of late-period Black Eyed Peas, they'd end up somewhere around Taylor Swift

iamcoop

Please. A woman has done a guitar.

The Mollusk

Quote from: SteveDave on March 26, 2024, 12:42:05 PMHere he comes.

I am not the target market for her though I quite liked "Shake It Off" (apart from the "this...sick...beat" bit) and the Right Said Fred one but I put on the Disney Add live show on Sunday just for something in the background whilst we made an Easter bonnet (the boy won the best hat in his class, thanks) and it seemed really fake and her "Aww shucks!" looks at the crowd with big smiled waving made me feel uneasy.

She's a danger to the world and will bring about our downfall.

A big part of why I dislike her and find her music soulless is that her persona seems so disingenuous to me. I know a lot of pop is heavily manufactured but hers feels so insincere and dull. So when she was singing about being a bad ass with a bad reputation it may as well have been coming from some snotty teenager, it just makes me wince.