Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:37:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kinds of Kindess (new Yorgos Lanthimos).

Started by Glebe, March 27, 2024, 04:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Enjoyed (if that's the right word) Poor Things, admittedly the only other Lanthimos film I've seen besides is The Killing of a Sacred Deer which was alright. Emma Stone returning, fresh from her Poor Things Oscar success, alonside Willem Dafoe. Jesse Plemons and Margaret Qualley in there too. High hopes for this I guess, looking forward too it. Must give Lanthimos' other films a watch, The Lobster et al.

Pink Gregory

Kinda hope Stone and Dafoe aren't the mainstays in this, but I'm always on board for Yorgos at this point.

George White

Glebe

Quote from: druss on March 27, 2024, 04:59:32 PMSad that this isn't a Derek film.

That robot dog wouldn't have been amiss in Poor Things.

Mister Six

Loved Poor Things and the Favourite - unfortunately this one is written by Yorgs and his mate who did Lobster and Sacred Deer, and I didn't much like either of them, so I'm curbing my enthusiasm hard.

Armin Meiwes

And Dogtooth tbf which was great! (Although I also enjoyed KoaSD and to an extent TL).

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on March 28, 2024, 01:19:11 AMthe Favourite

Fucks sake, I forgot about that! It's on both Netflix and Disney+ at the mo and I've been meaning to give it a look.

Mister Six

Quote from: Glebe on March 28, 2024, 12:47:14 PMFucks sake, I forgot about that! It's on both Netflix and Disney+ at the mo and I've been meaning to give it a look.

Written by the same bloke as Poor Things. It's excellent!

Steve Faeces

Bit of a treat this. Had no idea he had another film out so soon after Poor Things which I loved. I like all Lanthimos' films but think Killing of a Sacred Deer is probably my favourite just for how unsettling it is and how simple and almost pure a horror it is.

Mister Six

I really didn't get along with Sacred Deer. The tone was too arch and the characters to unbelievable for me to give a shit about their plight. Nobody seemed to act like a real human, which is fine in some genres, but it rarely works for me in horror, especially one where the mechanics are fantastical but the stakes are so human.

greenman

Quote from: Mister Six on March 28, 2024, 02:18:58 PMI really didn't get along with Sacred Deer. The tone was too arch and the characters to unbelievable for me to give a shit about their plight. Nobody seemed to act like a real human, which is fine in some genres, but it rarely works for me in horror, especially one where the mechanics are fantastical but the stakes are so human.

I think it maybe isnt as exact a fit as the Lobster which more obviously takes place in an alternate world were the characters being "trapped" in only conversing in an innane ingenuine fashion makes more sense but I think it still works effectively. I don't think the intension is really to make a conventional horror film, you have the characters react in the opposite way to what you'd expect being selfish and I think there also being unnable to really express themselves genuinely is also part of that takedown.

I don't think the films are entirely arch though, Farrell especially I think plays those characters very effectively giving you the sense that there is a real person there, again just one trapped in a world were he can never express his feelings openly.

This film does actually seem like it maybe something a bit different to anything he's done before, coming back to a real contemporary setting but not with that older style.