Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:58:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris Night @ Cube, Bristol - 23/11/07

Started by Ignatius_S, November 15, 2007, 12:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

Haven't been active of late, but a quick search indicated that this hasn't been posted yet, so.....

QuoteSONS OF HEAVY HEADS PRESENT: CHRIS MORRIS NIGHT
(Fri 23rd / 8pm / £2)

The Twisted Brainwrongs Of A One Off Man-Mental

Christopher Morris began his career in Bristol so perhaps it's fitting that The
Cube should pay tribute to the prankster who punctured the pomp and pretension
of prime time news and current affairs with pinpoint precision. Variously
described as a 'comedy genius' and 'the most loathed man on TV' Morris inspires
adulation and abhorrence in equal measures so be warned if you're new to his
work. The Sons of Heavy Heads will once again plot a course to the stratosphere
to recover both rare and revered archive Morris material for your entertainment.

Similar claims were made for the Cube's recent (and more expensive) The Cramps/Halloween night but the promised 'rare' footage wasn't actually that rare and they only showed 45 minutes of footage in total...

Beck

Mm, I'm going to this as I'm visiting Bristol then anyway, and only out of curiosity really as I can't imagine the 'rare and revered archive Morris material' will be particularly rare or revered, so I get to complain to my friend how I've seen it all before. It's slightly tricky to guess what it'll be, though. Probably Jive Bunny & The Master Mixers's Bushwhacked and My Wrongs vids, maybe Torque TV (looking rubbish on a big screen), Bishopslips, all that sort of stuff. Still, only £2 I suppose, and it'll bring the topic of conversation to something I actually know something about, plus I hear the venue's not bad - you can sit down and have a cup of tea if you want, apparently.

Edit: Heh, I wasn't aware of that word filter!

Edit: Hah! Great tag, taggy

Jemble Fred

I know where the Cube is, but never heard of 'Son of Heavy Heads', what are they? Not a comedy group, or I'd know 'em.

Hmm, might turn up anyway.

Ignatius_S

Sons of Heavy Heads are a collective of musicians - they're quite active at the Cube, often dj-ing in the bar area at different film nights. I'm not sure if they actually organise the events though.

Quote from: Beck on November 15, 2007, 12:38:47 PM
Mm, I'm going to this as I'm visiting Bristol then anyway, and only out of curiosity really as I can't imagine the 'rare and revered archive Morris material' will be particularly rare or revered ...plus I hear the venue's not bad - you can sit down and have a cup of tea if you want, apparently.

Yeah, if the Cramps night is anything to go by, the material won't be rare. Still, it's a nice, charming venue with a decent range of drinks at the bar. BTW it's run in a quite ramshackle way and the event in proper won't begin for 60-90 minutes... one showing I went to (Kung-fu Hustle with a live soundtrack by DJ Shadow) started about four hours after it was meant to sans live soundtrack.

Jemble Fred

We were supposed to do another ukulele evening thing there sometime... don't know what happened ot that.

Anyway, will have to miss this as it's a helluva mission to get there from Bath on a weeknight, especially as I'm going to see Sir John Mortimer Tuesday and then off to London for the ISIHAC recording Sunday – attending another comedy event in between would just be hedonism.

drberbatov

This reminds me of this odd jive club in Manchester where Northern Soul soundtracked projected images of Tony Hancock....

ah memories

gepree

Just a warning to anyone going along to the Cube: take a warm coat and wear it all fucking night.

We went to see Euros Child (lead singer of the Gorky's) a couple of years ago this time of year and it was seriously cold in the main cinema/theatre area.  It's a very good intimate venue but could do with some major heating improvements.

Muel 2

Quote from: gepree on November 18, 2007, 04:28:36 PM
Just a warning to anyone going along to the Cube: take a warm coat and wear it all fucking night.

We went to see Euros Child (lead singer of the Gorky's) a couple of years ago this time of year and it was seriously cold in the main cinema/theatre area.  It's a very good intimate venue but could do with some major heating improvements.

I've never noticed it being too cold in The Cube (I was at the Euros Child gig too).  I love the place.  The only problem is the beer they sell ruins your life the next day. 

I'll probably go to this but the 'rare' stuff probably isn't at all rare to the average verbwhore.

steven583699

Would someone who knows Bristol please confirm that this is the location of The Cube we are talking about?

I know it seems obvious, but a guy at Uni seemed to think it was an hour from where I'm staying, but this location is a ten-minute walk. Either way, I think I'll be there.

Don't think its there mate. You can find it here http://microplex.cubecinema.com/cubewebsite/directions.html

Its just a few minutes away from where I live, should make it.

steven583699

Quote from: PC Strawberry Yoplait on November 19, 2007, 10:47:13 PM
Don't think its there mate. You can find it here http://microplex.cubecinema.com/cubewebsite/directions.html

Yes, that looks better thanks, strange that Google maps chose the wrong destination when I put in 'The Cube, Bristol'.
I was at Bristol Royal Infirmary today, so it's just 5 minutes more up the road. See you then.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Muel 2 on November 19, 2007, 03:11:27 PM
I'll probably go to this but the 'rare' stuff probably isn't at all rare to the average verbwhore.
Or anyone able to access Youtube, in all likelihood.

steven583699

That was a bit disappointing. Well done to all you cynics and killjoys up the page, I had seen it all before except the Nathan Barley pilot, which had only a couple of decent lines. It was followed by The Day Today pilot, which was just clips from the show edited together differently, with a very young-looking Chris Morris. Then came the YouTube clip of Morris in the studio audience of that show, some Smokehammer (I think) edits of George W Bush speeches and 'My Wrongs'. Still, it was a good laugh. Anyone else go? I was on the second row from the back, on the left hand side as you look towards the stage.

Muel 2

Quote from: steven583699 on November 24, 2007, 12:08:30 AM
That was a bit disappointing. Well done to all you cynics and killjoys up the page, I had seen it all before except the Nathan Barley pilot, which had only a couple of decent lines. It was followed by The Day Today pilot, which was just clips from the show edited together differently, with a very young-looking Chris Morris. Then came the YouTube clip of Morris in the studio audience of that show, some Smokehammer (I think) edits of George W Bush speeches and 'My Wrongs'. Still, it was a good laugh. Anyone else go? I was on the second row from the back, on the left hand side as you look towards the stage.

I went but got a text on the way saying it had already sold out.  Went to a friend's house for a bit then hung around in the bar of The Cube waiting for people to come out.  Ended up being allowed in to watch My Wrongs but it was all glitchy scratched up dvd-ish. 

Morrisfan82

I DJed in The Cube once and couldn't find the fucking place either. Ended up bothering some nearby family unloading their shopping and a couple of geezers who looked like they were seriously toying with the idea of murdering us where it was, and they didn't have a clue either. Your best bet is to go to where Turbo Island is in Stokes Croft, walk up the side road onto the square up & behind it, across the square and then left. For future reference, obviously.

So was it just DVDs/clips then, or did someone get up and helpfully point out how satirical he is as well?

Beck

Quote from: steven583699 on November 24, 2007, 12:08:30 AM

Eh? That's where I was, if I remember correctly... Or were you one of the ones forced to sit on the floor? Then again I left after Barley so maybe you nabbed my seat?

Heh, it wasn't very good was it? Vaguely interesting hearing an audience reaction, but seemingly I don't find that pilot half as funny as most people do. Kevin Eldon got the most laughs, unsurprisingly, and everyone seems to love the whole cat/scissors thing.

Quote from: Muteki on November 24, 2007, 10:24:48 PM
So was it just DVDs/clips then, or did someone get up and helpfully point out how satirical he is as well?

Unearthing rare material meant buying the DVD and sticking it on a big screen. There was even a very loud Windows error message at one point.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Beck on December 06, 2007, 03:28:09 PM
Unearthing rare material meant buying the DVD and sticking it on a big screen. There was even a very loud Windows error message at one point.

One time I was there, it took them approx. 30 minutes to work out how to get the DVD working... another time, a couple of my friends once went there to see 'The Good, The Bad & The Ugly', only to discover that the version being shown had all the violence edited out - the print also caught fire twice.

Interesting to read what they did show, rather in keeping with the exclusivity of the Cramops night....