Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:40:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris - Suicide Bomber Project News

Started by Tokyo Sexwhale, September 12, 2008, 02:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on September 23, 2008, 07:37:00 AM
Warp Films also finance / make actual, go-to-the-cinema films, don't they?  Considering how profitable My Wrongs turned out to be for them as a sell-through title, I would've thought they could have raised the cash on their own based on potential DVD sales.

It does - although to date, just the two in the ten years it's been going. However, both (Dead Man's Shoes and This Is England) have done very well. Whether this project would fit into its remit, is another thing though.

Film making, of course, is a costly and risky business – financing is tricky. However, arguably with the technology available today and with a bit of lateral thinking, if you really want to, you can get things done. Alex Cox is doing some interesting things in this area – but I would say just relying on DVD sales is extremely risky, particularly because people will download rather than buy.

Mob Bunkhaus

That First Post story confirming the Popbitch rumour.

QuoteMorris suicide bomb sitcom falls flat

Chris Morris, the satirist behind Brass Eye, has had his new comedy about a suicide bomber cell in northern England rejected by both the BBC and Channel 4. The take on jihadism wasn't deemed suitable for prime-time audiences.

The production team behind the film was adamant that Morris – who had toured Bradford, Luton, Leeds and other towns in pre-production - wouldn't have offended the Muslim community with his parody. Mark Herbert from Warp Films said: "Chris's research has been meticulous. It is fatwa-proof."

Morris has said that he wanted the film to explore "the Dad's Army side of terrorism" and look at the human foibles of would-be martyrs. In it, potential suicide bombers attend a terror training camp where they argue about honey and get thrown out for smoking. One accidentally shoots another's foot. In Britain, the terrorists squabble over washing-up duties and their leader confuses a gram of triacetone triperoxide, a powdery explosive, for cocaine.

The synopsis cites an incident when real-life terrorist mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed invited a journalist to Pakistan to hear about his role as a ringleader in the 9/11 bombings, and then kept them waiting for two hours while he deliberated over which clothes would make him appear less fat on camera.

I hope such details as we have about the film (rejected at the synopsis stage?) are a bluff - that all this "it'll be a cosy Jihad's Army-style sitcommy thing" is just for nervous commissioning editors. Because, if they're not, then he's four or five years behind the curve, isn't he? Is there an intelligent person who still thinks of Al-Qaeda as a unitary, disciplined, fighting force?

Clint Hollow

QuoteC4 working with Chris Morris on suicide bomber comedy
by Nikki Sandison Brand Republic 22-Sep-08, 15:35

LONDON - Channel 4 is working with Chris Morris, creator of 'Brass Eye' and 'Nathan Barley', on a comedy film about a wannabe suicide bomber.

The broadcaster said that it decided early on that the project, which is still in development, would work best as a film rather than a TV series and it is therefore being developed through Film4.

The plot is thought to centre on a jihadist cell in the north of England.

Morris has covered a number of controversial subjects in his past work including a special episode of spoof current affairs show 'Brass Eye' about paedophilia, which attracted a record-breaking number of complaints in 2001.
More recently Morris was a cast member in 'The IT Crowd', a Channel 4 sitcom written and directed by Graham Linehan, who Morris collaborated with on 'The Day Today', 'Brass Eye' and 'Jam'.

A spokeswoman for Channel 4 said: "Channel 4 has a long history of working with Chris Morris, and a significant funding contribution towards his latest project is being made.

"It was agreed at a very early stage that the project would work best as a film and from this point was developed through Film4."

The BBC refused to commission the suicide bomber comedy because of its subject matter, deeming it unsuitable for primetime audiences, according to the Evening Standard. The BBC was unavailable for comment at the time of publication

http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/847846/C4-working-Chris-Morris-suicide-bomber-comedy/

QuoteChannel 4 and the BBC have refused to commission a new comedy about a wannabe suicide bomber by Brass Eye creator Chris Morris.

It is believed the programme, about a jihadist cell in the North of England, was deemed unsuitable for prime-time audiences.

There are attempts to secure funding from Film4 for the project.

Channel 4 would have first refusal on any subsequent TV broadcast.

The film is Morris's first major venture since Nathan Barley, a satirical comedy about 'cool' Londoners.

He is best known for his cult TV show Brass Eye.

In 2001, he was slammed over a 'Paedophile Special' episode, which generated 2,000 complaints and resulted in politicians condemning Morris.

A source close to the new project said it had effectively been refused because of its subject matter. The source said: 'It is subject matter that needs debate and is absolutely hilarious.'

The programme's producer said Morris had carried out research to ensure the programme was acceptable to the Muslim community.

Mark Herbert, from Warp Films, said: 'Chris's research has been meticulous. It is fatwa-proof.'

A BBC source said they had given the comedy serious consideration.

A Channel 4 spokesman said: 'It was agreed at a very early stage that the project would work best as a film and from this point was developed through Film4.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1059334/TV-comedy-wannabe-suicide-bomber-rejected-BBC-C4.html

It sounds as if Film4 are still funding it, doesn't it? That it will be a film rather than a tv programme, which is what it supposed to be all along wasn't it?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Clint Hollow on September 23, 2008, 11:17:36 AM
It sounds as if Film4 are still funding it, doesn't it? That it will be a film rather than a tv programme, which is what it supposed to be all along wasn't it?

It maybe me just being cynical, but it sounds to me as if C4 could be saying 'Nothing to do with us, guv.'  Of course, Brand Republic may have got a lot more out of the spokesman, but on the basis on the quote, it could just as easily mean that it is no longer being developed by Film4 -especially as the spokesmen used the past tense. Speaking as an ex-hack, I would have expected the reporter to have contacted someone from that company as well to clarify where the project is currently.

I'm assuming the DM simply cribbed that quote from BR.

explodingvinyl

Quote from: eluc55 on September 12, 2008, 11:51:35 AM
But the problem is, terrorism is pretty much the most obvious - and most heavily referanced -target for any wannabee satirist now - certainly one of them. And I'm just not convinced there's anything tremendously original for him to say on the subject.

There are no hack subjects, only hack jokes. I think it's entirely possible that he can come up with a fresh and inventive comedy about a subject that people have previously shat on.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: explodingvinyl on September 23, 2008, 12:37:43 PM
There are no hack subjects, only hack jokes. I think it's entirely possible that he can come up with a fresh and inventive comedy about a subject that people have previously shat on.

Even mum jokes?

explodingvinyl

Sure. That's my belief anyway. I've often laughed at a well worded Mum joke.

13 schoolyards

From reading both of Clint Hollow's quotes, it looks to me like the actual story - such as it is - is that Morris has a project on the go with Film4.  Upon reading this story, other enterprising sources, feeling that something more along the lines of "Morris' latest effort too shocking for the networks" would be of more interest to their readers, decided to spin the Brand republic story's quotes into "C4 has refused to commission a new comedy by Chris Morris". Which is "true" but only the first part of the actual story if Film4 are still funding it, and there's nothing there to suggest that they aren't past some dodgy use of past tense.  And the line "a significant funding contribution towards his latest project is being made" does sound like their contribution is still active.

As a current entertainment hack, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that the journo built their entire piece around a brief chat to someone from C4, as the whole thing reads like the result of a single quick phone call to confirm / deny a rumour about Morris' current project.

Backstage With Slowdive

Illuminate

New Popbitch bit, fresh from the email:

QuoteWe told you that Chris Morris' terror cell comedy had been rejected by a fearful Channel 4 and BBC. It seems they have a history of this. Muslim comedian Omar Mazouk was to present a mockumentary about misguided suicide bombers for BBC but this was also nixed. He took the idea to a TV network in Denmark instead, where it's getting rave reviews. 

And putting two fingers up to TV commissioners, Morris is turning his Jihadi sitcom into a film. He's got producers at Warpfilm and a distributor. All he needs now is enough money to make the film. Which is where we come in. Popbitch readers donating between 25 and 100 quid to help get the film made will get the chance to be in it. So get out your cheque book and burkha and email: fundingmentalism@warpfilms.com

Chris would not deny or confirm that recruits who sign up will also get a free al-Qaeda explosives handbook.

Neil

Oooh, no.

(I bet the donations actually go towards buying Popbitch a keyboard with a space bar that works every time you press it.)

Illuminate

Heh. The shoddy level of my copy + paste/proofreading work now fixed!

[Illuminate leaves thread backwards, cap in hand.]

Mob Bunkhaus

13 schoolyards

Even this doesn't contain any actual "news".  Let's go over it again: Morris had an idea for a show, he couldn't get it going as a sitcom - or maybe never even tried - so he's doing it as a film.  Look for the exact same story bobbing up next week somewhere else on the 'net (though to be fair, popbitch is updating their own earlier report).

As for the "donate some money to get in the damn thing" idea, isn't that just the same kind of "oh crap, we've got to stir up some publicity for this movie somehow" stunt that happens all the time?  I wouldn't be amazingly surprised to learn that Morris himself had nothing / next to nothing to do with it and it was all the work of some PR type who figured here's a way to get a bunch of extras AND some publicity AND some pocket money.

That said, if I had movie investment money lying around the house, this would look like a better bet than 99% of films looking for funding.  Morris has a TV background so he (presumably) knows how to make something fast and for cheap, while he has enough of a reputation / fanbase even now to get enough people to check it out and start a word-of-mouth campaign (if it's any good), which is what small films like this need if they're to be a success.  I have no idea how Nathan Barley sold on DVD, but I'm guessing that if you were willing to wait long enough this would eventually turn a profit even if it was a box office fizzle.

Of course, actually getting ahold of your share of these so-called "profits" would be the impossible part of your mission, judging by the tiny amount I know about film accountancy.

vrailaine

lets see how slow i sound by saying this:

people didn't like nathan barley?

Godzilla Bankrolls

Didn't it actually do quite well on DVD? I can't imagine this film appealing to such a sizeable audience (of foolish people).

Is anyone on here actually considering chipping in the £25 - £100 just out of interest?

Clint Hollow

Thinking about it. Disagree with you though, GB - this project has scope for a far larger audience than Nathan Barley. The subject matter being universally recognised surely instantly thusts it infinately further into public interest than Banksy loving hat wearers being ironic in the east end of london?

Deadman97

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on September 26, 2008, 02:03:17 PM
Is anyone on here actually considering chipping in the £25 - £100 just out of interest?

I replied to the email address in Popbitch saying that if they replied with some decent credentials I'd chip in with a cheque for £25. I got a mail back this morning telling me something would arrive in my inbox within fourteen days.

Quote from: Deadman97 on September 26, 2008, 04:30:44 PM
I replied to the email address in Popbitch saying that if they replied with some decent credentials I'd chip in with a cheque for £25. I got a mail back this morning telling me something would arrive in my inbox within fourteen days.

Oh right, I e-mailed them about five minutes before you posted that so presumably I'll get a similar message.

edit - this is the, presumably automated, message:

QuoteWelcome and thank you for offering to join the struggle.

Your self-brainwashing package will arrive in 14 days.

We shall win!  And you will taste the spoils of victory!

Just got this follow up email:

QuoteThanks for your email offering support for the "Four Lions" project.

The response so far has been extremely encouraging and our next move depends on numbers.  We won't ask for your money until we have enough people involved to make the system work.

So whether you want to be in the film or just fancy a binge of coin chucking, please spray the news around.

And if passing this on seems like a bit of a hassle? Well think about it. Yesterday,  over a hundred thousand people - alive and breathing and not passing it on just like you are thinking of not passing it on - died. It's unlikely they were all wiped out precisely because they weren't passing it on but its not impossible is it? Not totally statistically unimaginably impossible. Run that by yourself a couple of times before you decide not to pass it on.

Thanks

CM

Well, I've passed it on folks...

Deadman97

As have I. An email from Chris Morris, well I fucking never.

Lee

Thats funny, I thought the movie people were supposed to pay you for appearing in a movie.

Oh dear.

thugler

I've emailed just so I can get the email back and imagine morris has personally typed it.. 25 quid is too much to ask.

Quote from: thugler on September 30, 2008, 10:59:43 PM
I've emailed just so I can get the email back and imagine morris has personally typed it.. 25 quid is too much to ask.

£25 isn't that much really.

Sounds intriguing to me so I'd probably put in the £100 just to see what happens.  I tend to spend my money on shit I don't need anyway, this just seems an interestingly different way to piss it away.

Deadman97

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on October 01, 2008, 10:43:19 AM
£25 isn't that much really.

Sounds intriguing to me so I'd probably put in the £100 just to see what happens.  I tend to spend my money on shit I don't need anyway, this just seems an interestingly different way to piss it away.

Well said- £25 of my disposable income would pretty much go on pop and crisps, so if it can help get a Morris project up and running instead then that's cool with me.

13 schoolyards

Don't forget that all those small investors who gave money to Paul Hogan to help make Crocodile Dundee back in the 1980s made absolute fortunes.  And that was for a movie where the only memorable line was about a fairly large knife - this could very well have jokes about automatic weapons, high explosives, mass killings...

I don't give a fuck whether or not I see the money again, you'd need your head checking if you thought you were guaranteed to get any sort of return on the "investment".  I'm sure most other people who would be chucking money in would be the same.

fake edit - oh, you were being funny.

Bean Is A Carrot