Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:59:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ashes to Admin

Started by Sonny_Jim, April 10, 2023, 01:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny_Jim

Someone on Twitter linked to an excerpt from this and I got halfway through it before ordering it.  Now I've read it and I think it's great.    Can't be arsed to describe it so here's the blurb:

Quote'I've a body out the back for you...'
Imagine having that sentence said to you. And then imagine it actually being pertinent. Welcome to Evie King's world.

What happens if you die without family or money? The answer to this very three-in-the-morning question is that Evie, or someone like her, will step in and arrange your funeral.

Evie is a local council worker charged with carrying out Section 46 funerals under the Public Health Act. Or to put it in less cold, legislative language; funerals for those with nobody around, willing or able to bury or cremate them.

Ashes to Admin lifts the coffin lid on some moving and unexpected personal life stories. Sometimes tragic, as with the case of an unidentified woman found on a beach buried without even a name, but often uplifting and occasionally hilarious.

Ultimately, Evie discovers that her job is more about life than it is about death, funerals being for the living and death being merely a trigger to rediscover a life and celebrate it against the odds.
Really touching, great gallows humour.  Also I did laugh when I realised that Stew gets the front cover quote and poor old Herring is relegated to the back.

I also begrudgely agree with Herring in that it would make a fantastic TV show, somewhere between Flowers and Doc Martin

Gurke and Hare

Yeah, this is great. It's properly funny and properly moving. ChristinaEvie is a gem.

bgmnts

Sounds right up my fucking street this, as a lover of sort of dispassionate state run body disposal.

Will see if they have it in the book building.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 10, 2023, 10:56:21 PMChristinaEvie is a gem.

Ah, is this Christina Martin? I didn't know she did stand up.
Is the book a genuine memoir or is it fictionalised?