Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:05:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Orwell - the man and his output

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 12, 2023, 09:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

He goes on about fishing too much in Coming Up For Air.
1984 is the best. Truly brilliant.
FACT No filmed footage of Orwell is known to exist.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 23, 2023, 07:49:26 PMFACT No filmed footage of Orwell is known to exist.
Wasn't there something about an older male sibling setting up concealed cine cameras?

touchingcloth

I mentioned Politics and the English Language in another thread recently. Read that, it's good.

Pink Gregory

Fairly sure I've Orwell-posted before, but I went through a period of reading his books, fiction and non-fiction.

Aspidistra is fascinating because sometimes you don't see him as an 'imaginative' writer, or someone who deals with the intensely personal in such a way, it's dripping with self-hatred but without being self-indulgent in it.

Wigan Pier, Down and Out and Catalonia are fantastic, morally indignant pieces of writing about their subjects, that sometimes betray his Empire-chauvinism which I think it's unwise to explain away as 'of its time' or repeat uncritically as Catalonia often is. 

The reputation of the imagery of Ninteen Eighty-Four (which should always be written as its full title) and Animal Farm sometimes causes his wit and prose to be understated in pursuit of appearing clever by understanding satire; I feel like reducing the parallels purely to Stalinism (which it was undoubtedly referencing) blunts it's satire when it can be read much more generally.  They're books that are easy to understand a certain way but that way can be reductive.

Quote from: Virgo76 on May 23, 2023, 07:49:26 PMFACT No filmed footage of Orwell is known to exist.

There is some (possibly newsreel in origin) film of the Eton Wall Game being played in 1921 where one of the teenage participants is known to be him but no-one knows which one it is.

It's on Youtube and can be viewed here.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSdlWtk1grI

There aren't any known existing audio recordings of him speaking either.

Pranet

I've got a vague memory of a documentary presented by DJ Taylor showing a cine film of a church fete or something similar with a tall man standing around in the background who looked a bit like him but it wasn't conclusive.

Quote from: Pranet on May 24, 2023, 04:01:37 PMI've got a vague memory of a documentary presented by DJ Taylor showing a cine film of a church fete or something similar with a tall man standing around in the background who looked a bit like him but it wasn't conclusive.

Yes, that's some film from Southwold in about the mid-1930s. DJ Taylor admitted it was inconclusive, and he has also commented that the man in the film is holding a cigarette-holder, not something Orwell is known to have been in the habit of using.