Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:33:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Milan Kundera dead

Started by Vodkafone, July 12, 2023, 12:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vodkafone

I only read two of his: The Unbearable Lightness of Being and The Book of Laughter and Forgetting.

This was a long time ago, about 20 years. I remember being impressed by them at the time but have wondered since whether the appallingly cynical old me would still find value in them. Presumably someone on CaB has read him more recently? I remember them being heavy, pensive European literature but a small part of me wonders if they were just up their own arse.

buttgammon

It's a long time since I've read any Kundera but I loved both of those books, then found his other stuff much less interesting. I was young and a bit up my own arse at the time but I remember finding a streak of dark humour in them that kept them exciting. He would've been one of the first Central European writers in that mould I read, so I would like to revisit him with maturity and Bernhard, Bachmann, Krasznahorkai and Jaeggy on my side.

gilbertharding

Shitbags.

So after finally finishing Money and London Fields, 20 years after my first attempts at reading them, I now have to dust off my old half-read Unbearable Lightness and plough through that.

Vodkafone

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 12, 2023, 03:28:59 PMShitbags.

So after finally finishing Money and London Fields, 20 years after my first attempts at reading them, I now have to dust off my old half-read Unbearable Lightness and plough through that.

Pray for the health and wellbeing of Will Self.

Urinal Cake

Much like the OP I read lightness of Being in my youth. But I still can't get over the fact the Portia di Rossi called her autobiography/fight with anorexia/bullimia book, 'Unbearable lightness.' I feel like Ellen was to blame for that shit pun.

Kankurette

The Unbearable Deadness of Being

gilbertharding

Quote from: Vodkafone on July 12, 2023, 10:14:20 PMPray for the health and wellbeing of Will Self.

Happily (if that's the right word) I have finished every Will Self novel I own. But you're right - I should ship them all to the nearest charity shop post-haste.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Vodkafone on July 12, 2023, 12:20:20 PMI remember them being heavy, pensive European literature but a small part of me wonders if they were just up their own arse.

During one of my first goes at reading Lightness (approx 30 years ago) I went to see the film. It was OK.

Look, I admit it - a girl made me do it.

Vodkafone

markburgle

Rodan

Quote from: Kankurette on July 12, 2023, 11:01:38 PMThe Unbearable Deadness of Being

Try "The Unbearable Lightness of Not Being".

Rodan