Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:15:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - Episode Three

Started by Pienaar, February 25, 2005, 08:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypnotron

QuoteOh come on you recently-registered lot, it was shit! Morris doesn't read these boards, you don't need to pretend to like it. We're all friends here, no one will make fun of you...

I change my opinion , I am wrong, it was shit, it wasnt funny.  Morris has lost it blah blah blah...

Its comedy, it worked for me!

InfiniteFury

Edited for pointless drunked big-text

Rev

Strange.  That was pretty watchable, even if it still isn't particularly funny.  The exchange between Dan and the editor right at the end was the first moment in the series so far that has actually sparked my interest in the characters.  Still, halfway through the series, and the best I can come up with for this episode is that it didn't annoy the hell out of me.

j00t

Laughed a lot; for me this combined the best elements of the first two and added much more straight comedy.  Filled in a lot of character depth that was lacking in the first two episodes, too tired to write anything that won't be riddled with bad spelling and errors. But thumbs up AFAIK, your mileage will vary ;-).  Please do not attack me for liking it.

InfiniteFury

Edited for big-text drunkeness and probably unnecessary cunty-ness but it's just all so bloody futile..

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "Hypnotron"
That was as funny as any Brass Eye or Day Today.  I laughed out loud, if those celebrity pissing pics were in Brass Eye you would be crying 'genius'!

No I wouldn't. But you have reminded me that there is awful lot of stuff in BE (and TDT) that has never made me laugh at all. However, it didn't matter because there was enough other stuff that was amazing to carry it.

But it doesn't work here, because this is a linear narrative with ongoing characters and scenes and you can't just move on and walk away from a shit idea and get into another sketch. It's all joined together and the bad bits linger and stink the rest out, and the fact that the acting and directing and writing aren't good enough kills any joy that might arise.

In all honesty, that entire sequence from the restaurant to the flat and then the sex scene and Morning After, was about the quality I'd expect from a bunch of 18 year olds let loose to make some daring TV. Or a dull string of Big Train (series 1) sketches, that would have more bearable spread out over 1 episode and so interspersed with other bits, to ration the excruciation.

The Mumbler

What exactly was wrong with Eurythmics, incidentally?  Sweet Dreams, Touch and Savage were gloriously odd LPs.  Couldn't abide them when they "rocked out", mind you.  And as for the solo work...

I'll never watch this episode, so maybe someone might like to explain just what dangerous things were said about a man who barely registers on most people's radar in 2005.

Beagle 2

Quote from: "Clinton Morgan"I still feel like I am watching an episode of 'Hollyoaks' for research purposes]

Yeah, that about sums it up for me really.

In fairness, I laughed at "am I going to have to write it myself", E-Mail the musical with Danni Minogue and Ross Kemp as "pixel" and "you CUNT".  The rapping bit was absolutely fucking dreadful. Still, I suppose somebody is going to inform me that I didn't get it.

Keep. The. Sodding. Camera. Still.

Hypnotron

QuoteAnd is Dave Stewart, cunt though he is, really relevant or interesting enough to be worthy of an elaborate attack/parody?

Relevant or interesting enough?!  Relevant and interesting in whose opinion?!

I remember the threads before the show started, generally all negative.  People seemed to have made up their minds they would be disappointed -  Stillborn Nathan Barley wasn't it?

I'm just struck by how serious a comedy forum can be, its ....ironic!

Neil

Knock it off with the big text please.

Oh, very bored of hearing Nathan say "bum."

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

With regard to character development, Nathan was more cunty, but Claire...
Whats going on with her? One minute she's caring about the plight of junkie choirs, the next minute she's giggling like a drunk child at Nathans prickish japes.

Also the bit with Pingu wasn't funny.  That was simply tragic.

What about the Kylie Minogue picture of her pissing herself - classic!

Neil

Quote from: "Hypnotron"I remember the threads before the show started, generally all negative.  People seemed to have made up their minds they would be disappointed -  Stillborn Nathan Barley wasn't it?

Not everyone's comments were negative, oh and a lot of the predictions turned out to be true by the way.  I think you made up your mind that we would hate the show without actually giving us a chance.

QuoteI'm just struck by how serious a comedy forum can be, its ....ironic!

Original.

InfiniteFury

It's just so random I could die. I think I'm starting to realise this series is beyond my appreciation. That'll learn me.

Jon_Norton

Half the people on this thread sound like Morrissey fans in 1991 deperately trying to kid themselves that "Kill Uncle" is worth another listen.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: "Hypnotron"
QuoteAnd is Dave Stewart, cunt though he is, really relevant or interesting enough to be worthy of an elaborate attack/parody?

Relevant or interesting enough?!  Relevant and interesting in whose opinion?!

I remember the threads before the show started, generally all negative.  People seemed to have made up their minds they would be disappointed -  Stillborn Nathan Barley wasn't it?

I'm just struck by how serious a comedy forum can be, its ....ironic!

Gosh, that really is almost identical to a post from last week...

Anon

Quote from: "Jon_Norton"Half the people on this thread sound like Morrissey fans in 1991 deperately trying to kid themselves that "Kill Uncle" is worth another listen.

Hey...at least that means in a few years we'll get Vauxhall And I........

A Passing Turk Slipper

It was better today, as most are saying but still there are too many faults. I'm glad that Barley is actually becoming a cunt because in the previous episodes you were almost on his side. The worst bit of tonights show though was by far the sex scene rap, how could that reviewer call that the 'high point' of the series? Anyway, I just hope the show improves a bit more in the second half of the series.

imitationleather

If the programme was on a worknight do you think we'd get less drunk people signing up and going on about what a fahkin geniebum Morrisesh is?

Well, we'll get to find out once this is bumped to 11.55pm on Tuesdays from next week...

poor fool

genius.

gets better with every passing episode. i am literally on the edge of my seat.

imitationleather

I wish you were on the edge of a cliff.

Hoh!

The Mumbler

Quote from: "imitationleather"If the programme was on a worknight do you think we'd get less drunk people signing up and going on about what a fahkin geniebum Morrisesh is?

Well, we'll get to find out once this is bumped to 11.55pm on Tuesdays from next week...

Is this actually true?  [He said hopefully.]

Mr Flunchy

Did you really not watch it Mumbler?

poor fool

Quote from: "imitationleather"I wish you were on the edge of a cliff.

Hoh!

HAH!

brilliant. high five!

Mister Six

Well, at least Nathan is finally looking like a cunt.  Better than the other two, but stil mediocre and so, so hideously directed.  Lovely to hear Morris at the beginning but that sex scene- it made me cringe for all the wrong reasons.  Saying that, for the first time I laughed. But some of it was long-drawn out and pointless.  A problem I have with it is the explanation of, "This is funny and here's why" they tend to do.

I'm starting to feel something for the characters, though.  Pingu is agonising, so few lines yet he easily conveys more than anyone else there without resorting to spunk jokes.  Claire is still confusing.  I want Richard Ayode to dissolve.  Still, better.  But still not good.  But it gives me a little more hope that the last 3 episodes might improve from the sprawling shit of the first two, and the mediocre bubble of this one.

Mr Flunchy

Quote from: "Mister Six"What happened to Pingu?

He spilt coffee on Claire.  And then some milk.